.357 carbine input requested...

GPG

This is like going to WalMart and staring at 15 different choices for 20 minutes and walking away without picking any...I'd appreciate your opinions

Having read about differences in various .357 carbines until I caint read 'no mo, what I am thinking about is an effective close range (100-125 yd) rifle for deer hunting that can double as a defensive firearm and keep in line with my ever growing supply of 38 spec/357 ammo which I have for my Ruger SP101. Having the same ammo for both my sidearm and rifle seems to make a whole bunch of sense - cost, ease of access of ammo for SHTF scenario, 38 spec plinking, hunting medium & small game, etc, etc).

I think I have settled on the Ruger 77/357 due primarily to these factors (in order of importance to me):

Caliber is compatible with my sidearms
Quick reload with 5 shot magazines - I can pocket 4 or 5 of these if needed and have access to 20-25 shots in seconds vs. tube load which I think means a death sentence in a defensive scenario
Accuracy out to 125 yds (from reviews)
Weight
Ability to accept a nice scope
Ruggedness
Cost (though not really a factor)
Mfg reputation

The primary reason for not yet completely settling yet on the 77/357 is the 5 shot limitation in the magazine and the reviews I've read about the mags not dropping freeely and needing manipulation to eject them.

My second choice would be the Marlin 1894C but I'm not sure of the lever action having absolutely no experience with a lever. Of course there's also the Henry Big Boy & Winchester 1892. 10 shot tube is twice as nice as a 5 shot mag, but reloading a tube after 10 sounds painful at best (is this true?)

If you have any experiences with any of these models in the .357 caliber, please share your thoughts, regrets, opinions, ideas. Hoping your input can support my making a decision before deer season ends. ;-)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a 357 Marlin lever gun. It would be ideal for your application. Its very handy in the woods, and you can use a peep sight for better accuracy. For deer out to 100 yards you are good to go. The tube magazine is not really a downside. I think it holds 9 or 10 rounds. Also, remember that you can keep feeding the tube intermittently rather than dumping a mag.

I have a Ruger 77 and a Marlin 336 lever gun (neither in .357), and if I had to choose one for a defensive situation, it would be the Marlin. It's quicker to crank a new round into the chamber, and you can push new rounds into the tubular magazine while on the move. The 1894 models in any caliber are a very handy package. I'd like to find one at a decent price, but they're somewhat scarce. Marlin was recently sold to the group that owns Remington, and the quality of the new Marlins is not what it used to be. A good source for all things Marlin is: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/
As a hunting rifle the Ruger bolt gun has more effective reach, especially with a scope. If you're looking at a bolt gun, why limit yourself to .30-30? There are much more effective calibers, like .308 or .30-06 for the same money.

I had a 357 Marlin lever gun. It would be ideal for your application. Its very handy in the woods, and you can use a peep sight for better accuracy. For deer out to 100 yards you are good to go. The tube magazine is not really a downside. I think it holds 9 or 10 rounds. Also, remember that you can keep feeding the tube intermittently rather than dumping a mag.

J.M., what year is your Marlin - after reading Woodstock's thoughts on Remlin quality I did a bit of poking and his sentiment seems to be somewhat universal - though there is discrepancy on what year the poor quality started. I believe Marlin changed hands in 2008 (not 2000) and that's when the issues started. I appreciate your thoughts on the intermittent feeding which does sway my opinion back to the 10 round idea. If your Marlin is post 2008 (or 2000), what has been your quality experience re: accuracy, ejections, feeding, etc?

I think the Rossi .357 lever carbines felt a little lighter and more ergonomic than the Marlin 1894C (which I used to own). Don't know about quality of construction, but I was not happy with the recently produced Marlin that I had; the fit and finish were barely acceptable. It really was a contrast with old lever actions from the 1930's and earlier.

I had an older 1894 in 357. It was very nice but, I didn't love it, sold it. I have a single shot 357 H&R trapper that I love. I also have a new Ruger 77/357 and love it too. The leverguns are better fighting arms but, I prefer what I have now for the range.
2012-09-05+17.18.54.jpg

2012-08-13

My 1894c was early production, it was a very well made gun. I had no issues with feeding ejecting etc. It was very reliable with various 357 rounds. I never tried 38 sp in it. I have heard a lot of complaints on the newer ones, so take your time and find an older one. For a dual purpose gun its a dandy.

My 1894c was early production, it was a very well made gun. I had no issues with feeding ejecting etc. It was very reliable with various 357 rounds. I never tried 38 sp in it. I have heard a lot of complaints on the newer ones, so take your time and find an older one. For a dual purpose gun its a dandy.

Sadly, I no longer recommend Marlin leverguns. Cerberus - now 'Freedom Group' has run not only Marlin, but Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, H&R etc into the dirt. QC is shit. Marlin 336's are coming in no longer blued - powdercoated. Stocks don't match and the actions are gritty...Shame...Shame...

I have a recent manufacture Marlin 1894C and it shoots well and handles well for me, does not have any of the recent quality issues being discussed out there. I got to caliber match my 686.

The trigger pull is fine for a factory trigger but the "flop" is annoying ... just doesn't seem right and eventually I'm going to fit a Wild West Trigger Happy kit.

The Henry rifles look nice and I handled a few in shops, they seem well made. The brass receiver is a bit much for my taste, I'd paint it black. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom