.308 carbine barrel lengths, velocities, and expansion

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Got a question about how barrel length effects bullet velocity and thus bullet expansion.

Most ammo manufacturers list their velocities using a specified test barrel length. In .308, this is around 24". For example, S&B lists a test barrel length of 23 1/2" for .308. The test barrel length is thus used to demonstrate velocities and bullet expansion. When you cut that 23 1/2" barrel down to 16", you're losing about 300fps.

.308 Win Barrel Cut-Down Test: Velocity vs. Barrel Length « Daily Bulletin

My question is, how much does this 300fps loss affect bullet expansion? Is it worth shooting into ballistic gel? Is it worth shooting into ballistic gel regardless of the barrel length to test rifle bullet expansion for every hunting load, no matter what? I realize tons of guys go out and have no issues with that one box of Remington Core-Lokts every year, I just want to have a better understanding of rifle ballistics and how they impact expansion.

Well the question for you is how far do you plan on using 308? If your going carbine i assume you want a heavy hitting CQB/DMR. Something about 16-18". With that length your still going to get expansion of HPBT projectiles. Up to what distance, i do not know, but what you loose mainly will be trajectory out further

Practical New England shooting impact of a loss of 300fps? Not enough for me to worry about.

These guys make loadings with shorter barrels in mind, and they are right here in NH.

From another forum

"178 A-AMAX is the bullet you're looking for, it will create hydrostatic shock down to 1300fps. This info comes from BallisticStudies.com"

If we then use https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/308-win-178-gr-bthp-match#!/

And we cut 300ft of their numbers... we are looking at a 600-700yard cartridge

Just to be clear, I have no intention of shooting beyond approximately 300 yards. I don't have the experience, optics, or terrain to make such shots. Distance isn't what I'm concerned about. Just bullet expansion.

Just to be clear, I have no intention of shooting beyond approximately 300 yards. I don't have the experience, optics, or terrain to make such shots. Distance isn't what I'm concerned about. Just bullet expansion.

Inside 300 yards, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Hell, go down to a ~13" 308 at that point.

My experience has been that certain bullets are designed to expand and others aren’t (some also yaw and some fragment). The ones that do, do so at certain velocities, but that varies with bullet design.

If you are buying ammo then they are made to work in a variety of guns of different barrel lengths. If you are making Ammo then the reloading manuals tell you the minimum recommendations for hunting or target applications.

Dave

2-rem96811.jpg
That cool remington pistol would be my choice for super shorty 308

Back
Top Bottom