• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH deer with pistol caliber carbines

I posted it here before. I have a 4-did-git serial # forty-four carbine and accompany it with a 7.5" Redhawk. I part with those only in my Will.

Carbine length lever actions with the matching caliber revolvers. [rockon]

From years and threads past there are a significant number of those old original Ruger .44 Carbine owners on NES. [cheers]
Makes me feel like a slacker for pairing mine in 357. ;)

Completely agreed, though. That Henry and the model 28 are mine til the end.

But how many have you broken?

I don't know why, but I just like the way the stock curves here, and the hardwood stock that will take a beating, along with the rest of the gun. Wish like heck they would bring these back.

The Ruger 96/44:
Ruger-Model-96-Cal-44-Magnum-Lever-Rifle_100846681_70986_56C6F0FEF7934E1D.JPG

There is also mention of the Henry "X" here:
I shopped around for one of these, when the new rule was released.
They’re asking around $1200 these days 😳

Thr first 44 carbine that was tube fed was just the model 44 carbine. Actually ruger called it the deerstalker but they had to change it because Ithaca shotguns had that name so they had to drop it.

The second version that was mag fed was the Deerfield carbine.

View attachment 704614View attachment 704615
I still kick myself for not buying one back in the 80s

My son picked the one we have up 2 years ago for $500. I thought it was a bargain.
My dad laughs at that because he bought his with the weaver on it for 50 dollars. He tells me to sell it all the time as I never use it. I told him YOU used it, thats why I will never sell it.

But yeah. 500 isnt bad on something that’s unobtainium.

Im not sure if its a small following or pent up demand, but to me if one of these gun companies would make a semi auto pcc in 357 or 44 mag they would sell. I talked to the guy at the henry booth in Harrisburg and he asked me which caliber id like to see on the homesteader.

I said, I dont know why all you gun companies play monkey see monkey do with these 9mm pcc’s when people have been starving for 44mag and 357 pcc’s ruger hasnt made in years.

Fxck the 9mm. People want something they can go out in the woods and hunt with. Make a 44 mag and people will buy it.

Last edited:
My dad laughs at that because he bought his with the weaver on it for 50 dollars. He tells me to sell it all the time as I never use it. I told him YOU used it, thats why I will never sell it.

But yeah. 500 isnt bad on something that’s unobtainium.

Im not sure if its a small following or pent up demand, but to me if one of these gun companies would make a semi auto pcc in 357 or 44 mag they would sell. I talked to the guy at the henry booth in Harrisburg and he asked me which caliber id like to see on the homesteader.

I said, I dont know why all you gun companies play monkey see monkey do with these 9mm pcc’s when people have been starving for 44mag and 357 pcc’s ruger hasnt made in years.

Fxck the 9mm. People want something they can go out in the woods and hunt with. Make a 44 mag and people will buy it.
If Henry made their new carbine in 45acp or 44mag I'd be in line for one of each.

A semi auto 44 mag Henry is a thick woods deer hunters dream!

I shopped around for one of these, when the new rule was released.
They’re asking around $1200 these days 😳
What is "the new rule"? When was it "released"?

My son picked the one we have up 2 years ago for $500. I thought it was a bargain.
My dad laughs at that
Wait, are you 2 father/son?

If Henry made their new carbine in 45acp or 44mag I'd be in line for one of each.

A semi auto 44 mag Henry is a thick woods deer hunters dream!
Henry does make a .44Mag lever gun.

What is "the new rule"? When was it "released"?

Wait, are you 2 father/son?

Henry does make a .44Mag lever gun.
I know. Note where I said "semi auto".

Henry makes a semi auto 9mm rifle now. I'm saying they should make it in 44 mag

I know. Note where I said "semi auto".
Those looked like 2 separate trains of thought. I didn't catch that you were linking them together. Makes sense now.

Yeah, a .44 semi auto would be cool also.

P.S. I liked your post even before your explanation!

Went to look up the contact info for the fish and game commissioners, and noticed that there is no one on the commission from the coastal region.
someone here from that area should look into that and possibly get on the board.

Just sent the following to my area commissioner.
Please feel free to copy and send it to yours, which can be found in the link above.
Pass the word around, there are several other semi-auto PCC’s out there 👍

————————
Hello,
I’m a Chester resident and life long hunter and fisherman.

I’ve been participating in a conversation on the North East Shooters Forum about this subject. Many of us own the Ruger .44Mag Carbine, which is semiautomatic and are all curious as to why the regulation is limited to Lever Actions only. Especially since Semi-Autos are permitted for Shotgun and Pistols.
I recently spoke to several Wardens at the Hampton Beach “Penguin Plunge” and none of them had any idea why there is a restriction.

Please let me know how we can pursue a formal request to review and discuss the possibility of modifying the current regulation.

Thank you for you time and service to our community!

Sincerely,___________________

Last edited:
Here’s the response from my local Commissioner.
Any legal/politically savvy members that might want to help get the ball rolling?

Thank you for the note. That is a new change that came to be from the 20/21 legislative session. It is part of NH regulations (NH-RSAs) and has to go through the legislative process. If I understand correctly it was initiated by state rep James Spillane of Deerfield. It was not something the Department initiated. In order to make any amendments, it would have to go through the legislative process. The time period to enter new bills has closed. The earliest opportunity to make a change would be the 2023/2024 legislative season.

Below is a link to the bill. Spillane is the first sponsor and there are other state reps co-sponsoring.

If you and others want to see an amendment I might recommend reaching out to Spillane, any others on here or your state rep to discuss an amendment for the fall of 2023. State reps or senators are the ones to initiate the bills.

New Hampshire HB342 | 2021 | Regular Session
Hope this helps. If you have more questions please let me know. Happy to discuss.

Meggan Hodgson
NH Fish and Game Commissioner
Rockingham County
(603)418-5983

Want to get a group together and reach out to him?
Do you know him?
He's the current chair of the House Committee on Fish & Game & Marine Resources.

The furry lovers blew their collective gaskets when he posted a picture of a squirrel he shot with a .50 cal muzzleloader. (It had been stealing his chicken feed.)

Back
Top Bottom