• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buttstock Leather Sleeve for Lever Action Rifle

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have a nice Uberti 1860 Henry that has some beautiful wood that I'd like to keep in good shape. I've noticed that just with general use I've scratched the buttstock some and with some effort I've repaired those scratches. I'm thinking of installing a leather sleeve on the buttstock to protect it, but am not finding a good source for one. I've found some beautiful ones online, but not really looking to pay $200-$300 for it.

Anyone have one of these on their lever actions and if so, where did you get it?

Most quality leather sleeves are in that price range. You can get a neoprene one for low $

Winter is coming...seems a good time to learn how to make one. I'd start with a chunk of cloth and then transfer the pattern to leather. I'm thinking a piece of leather, awl, rawhide, maybe some grommets - you're into this project for $30 and 3 or 4 hours of time pretending you're an old mountain man.

No - I don't know how to do it. I have 2 kids and no free time to learn anything.

Winter is coming...seems a good time to learn how to make one. I'd start with a chunk of cloth and then transfer the pattern to leather. I'm thinking a piece of leather, awl, rawhide, maybe some grommets - you're into this project for $30 and 3 or 4 hours of time pretending you're an old mountain man.

No - I don't know how to do it. I have 2 kids and no free time to learn anything.

Ha! Good answer. Thanks everyone. I'll keep looking. I guess a $200 sleeve is worth it on a $1000 rifle.

Bonus points if you use hides from an animal you killed with your bare hands and teeth.

Back
Top Bottom