• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle stock sleeve

I used to use this thing on my 700 before I swapped out the stock. Not sure if it's too bulky for you but it's got a good sized pocket for a spare mag plus some tools and stuff. You can also stack it up with some foam or whatever underneath if you need a higher cheek weld .
PXL_20231117_153138119.jpg
PXL_20231117_153131325.jpg

Hunting what?

Trying to understand why you need it to hold an extra mag.

My 308 mag holds three rounds. I carry a spare mag just in case one fails. I know how can it fail, but I trust nothing. And while rare, there may be times I need more than three rounds. Elk are tough. I will keep shooting until it's down. Rather sacrifice meat than lose a shot animal. Just trying to reduce the risk of things going wrong. My son in law had two rounds not go off last week. Factory ammo. So at that point he was down to one round. Fortunately number three was fine and that shot lethal. Might be a gun issue, but no time to deal with it in the field.

I suppose just a simple sleeve that has extra rounds is just as good. Need another round. Just feed it by hand.

I have a setup very similar to the pictures posted above. There's no zipper pouch, but the velcro patch on the right side of the stock can be used for either extra cartridges (like shown above), or instead, a small pouch that would certainly hold an extra magazine. Works well.

Many options out there. Some with a cheek riser, and/or butt pads, etc. Depends on what you need. Just make sure you find something that will fit securely on your buttstock. Check your dimensions and do some research.

Couple thoughts.

I always carry a spare (5 round) mag while hunting. (Extra ammo and spare mag both). Usually it is in a molle mag carrier on pack or pack waist belt.

For PRS match or practice I have two mags on belt. Faster and more convenient

What might work for you is something I had for PRS, but also carried over to my hunting rifle. It is a two round holder that mounts to stock right below brass ejection area on stock (I’m right handed, so right side of stock). When mag is empty, just use right hand to slip cartridge out and load one round manually. You can stay behind scope and load it without looking with a little practice. Faster than doing a mag change for one or two rounds. The ones I use are from a company called Short Action Precision. Just search SAP two round holder.

Attachments

• 024F7EED-E266-44D4-9773-7B2882C19A25.jpeg
    024F7EED-E266-44D4-9773-7B2882C19A25.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 7BEF941F-99F0-46E3-A249-E4F8FE47465D.jpeg
    7BEF941F-99F0-46E3-A249-E4F8FE47465D.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Anybody use one for hunting? And are any made to hold an extra mag, or would that be too bulky?
Mine is ballistic nylon. I installed it on the stock of my Savage .223 bolt action. Keeps 9 extra rounds at the ready in loops. With the 4 round detachable mag fully loaded and one in the chamber, that's 14 rounds ready to fly. More than enough for a varmint/predator rifle. It is not bulky at all; very low profile and light weight.

Mine is ballistic nylon. I installed it on the stock of my Savage .223 bolt action. Keeps 9 extra rounds at the ready in loops. With the 4 round detachable mag fully loaded and one in the chamber, that's 14 rounds ready to fly. More than enough for a varmint/predator rifle. It is not bulky at all; very low profile and light weight.
Thanks. Just ordered a couple.

Back
Top Bottom