.32 ACP in an old S&W revolver?

M'kay.

Idk how big the barrel cylinder gap on your H&R is, nor the throat diameters, but if it's larger than normal and in combination with the long jump and low pressure .32 S&W, that all can add up to velocity loss.

My belief is the. 32 S&W can be an effective, bare minimum option when shot from a revolver chambered ONLY for the short .32 S&W.

I have the same revolver as you. So, I tell ya what, since I'm a curious bastard I'll load up some .32 S&W and shoot it over my chrony and see just what the velocity is.

My gut tells me 600 fps and I think in a .32 short revolver it would be 700 fps.
32 sw 85 gn lead bullet definitely will “bounce” off and come back at you.
Maybe not off a rotted tree but it can/will have the potential.
PPU 85gn out of my 1890s SW lemon squeezer just hit 500 ftps

32 sw 85 gn lead bullet definitely will “bounce” off and come back at you.
Maybe not off a rotted tree but it can/will have the potential.
PPU 85gn out of my 1890s SW lemon squeezer just hit 500 ftps
I think 85gr of lead is asking a lot for 1.5-ish grains of any powder to push out a bore with any amount of speed. The .32 S&W is lower pressure than .32 ACP and the heaviest bullet .32 ACP uses is 73gr, so IMO it's best to keep .32 S&W projectiles close to that weight, which the most common weight will be about 78gr. In this caliber, velocity means more than mass.

I know I am gonna get blasted for this question, but I bought anView attachment 503687 older (but very sturdy seeming) S&W .32 revolver, Model 732. It was inexpensive and I bought it for the purposes of using some of the 200 rounds of .32 I bought for a Seecamp (which didn't fit, in part because I am an idiot, and in part because other people are also idiots).

Course I get it home, use the Google and realize the .32 is made for .32 S&W. Which I should have known, but I am still learning.

I know the ACP is a higher powered round but it still isn't terribly powerful and this revolver looks (I know, I'm an idiot) like it could handle it. Looking online, most people say don't do it, but others say they do it, and some say just don't use .32 ACP in a top-break .32 S&W revolver.

I really just wanted to do something with the surplus ammo I had, and didn't want to get into a second .32 ammo type.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike
The 732 actually shoots 32 Long but it’s label as 32SW

Just to chime in as the OP, this was very early in my firearms experience. I very quickly realized how silly the ACP in a revolver question was (though that sparked an interesting debate) but the thread did evolve into a helpful debate on .32 S&w and .32 long, black vs smokeless powder. I have certainly learned a lot. Of course, I picked the most confusing of all calibers for an ammo discussion...Thank you to everybody for weighing in and helping educate me!

Just to chime in as the OP, this was very early in my firearms experience. I very quickly realized how silly the ACP in a revolver question was (though that sparked an interesting debate) but the thread did evolve into a helpful debate on .32 S&w and .32 long, black vs smokeless powder. I have certainly learned a lot. Of course, I picked the most confusing of all calibers for an ammo discussion...Thank you to everybody for weighing in and helping educate me!
Check out some YouTube videos concerning this model. It really is built like a tank and 32 long enthusiasts enjoy its stout frame for pushing that caliber a bit further. I tried to snag one on GB some years ago but the FFL wouldn’t transfer because “roster” but I mean I see folks with them. I have a 32SW short 3rd gen safety hammerless myself. Wish I could be playing with 32SW Long but oh well, I’ll live vicariously through you. Wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom