.32 ACP in an old S&W revolver?

I know I am gonna get blasted for this question, but I bought an IMG_20210719_140448.jpg older (but very sturdy seeming) S&W .32 revolver, Model 732. It was inexpensive and I bought it for the purposes of using some of the 200 rounds of .32 I bought for a Seecamp (which didn't fit, in part because I am an idiot, and in part because other people are also idiots).

Course I get it home, use the Google and realize the .32 is made for .32 S&W. Which I should have known, but I am still learning.

I know the ACP is a higher powered round but it still isn't terribly powerful and this revolver looks (I know, I'm an idiot) like it could handle it. Looking online, most people say don't do it, but others say they do it, and some say just don't use .32 ACP in a top-break .32 S&W revolver.

I really just wanted to do something with the surplus ammo I had, and didn't want to get into a second .32 ammo type.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

A lot of people could probably tell you just what round to use simply by looking at this revolver.

But I would suggest that you bring it to a competent gunsmith to examine it first.

You look to have a H&R 732. .32 S&W or long. Modern manufacture. .32 ACP is semi rimmed and can be used in some .32 S&W revolvers. As to using it in your gun if it chambers and headspaces correctly in each chamber you will have to decide to pull the trigger. You might look up Ken Waters and his load data for both the S&W round and the .32 ACP.

Besides being too high pressure, .32ACP wouldn't work properly in the cylinder because its semi-rimmed, not rimmed like .32S&W. The .32ACP cartridge would either sit on the semi-rim with the end of cartridge exposed or would be inside the cylinder, meaning you'd have to poke it out with a rod of some sort.

This isn't like .45 Auto Rim and .45ACP, the two cartridges here aren't interchangeable.

Lucky gunner lounge has a pretty good article on the use of .32 ACP in a revolver. It will chamber, you decide to shoot it😉

I know I am gonna get blasted for this question, but I bought anView attachment 503687 older (but very sturdy seeming) S&W .32 revolver, Model 732. It was inexpensive and I bought it for the purposes of using some of the 200 rounds of .32 I bought for a Seecamp (which didn't fit, in part because I am an idiot, and in part because other people are also idiots).

Course I get it home, use the Google and realize the .32 is made for .32 S&W. Which I should have known, but I am still learning.

I know the ACP is a higher powered round but it still isn't terribly powerful and this revolver looks (I know, I'm an idiot) like it could handle it. Looking online, most people say don't do it, but others say they do it, and some say just don't use .32 ACP in a top-break .32 S&W revolver.

I really just wanted to do something with the surplus ammo I had, and didn't want to get into a second .32 ammo type.

Mike
You have a h and r revolver there (not a Smith and wesson.........that is chambered in .32 s and w. It even says h and r on the grip.

Lucky gunner lounge has a pretty good article on the use of .32 ACP in a revolver. It will chamber, you decide to shoot it😉
Thank you (especially)! I read article and it was just what I was looking for. Long story short, it will generally fire, I won't kill myself, but there are significant enough issues that you should probably only do it in case of zombie apocalypse.

Mike

Thanks to everybody for replying. And yes, I understand it is not made by S&W, I was really referring to it by its designated ammo. It's a beautiful little gun and very well made. Even if I now have to buy an additional ammo type I am still okay with buying it. Plus I can give it and .32 ACP to one of my less well regarded minions come the apocalypse.

I know I am gonna get blasted for this question, but I bought anView attachment 503687 older (but very sturdy seeming) S&W .32 revolver, Model 732. It was inexpensive and I bought it for the purposes of using some of the 200 rounds of .32 I bought for a Seecamp (which didn't fit, in part because I am an idiot, and in part because other people are also idiots).

Mike
32 SW is 12,000 psi
32 acp is 18-20,000 psi

My understanding is the caliber marking on the barrel makes this revolver a post 1905. By then all the H&R guns were proofed for smokeless.
32sw that is loaded with smokeless is to the same specs as black powder if mot even more anemic.

old top break revolvers especially the cheap poorly made ones can be problems.
Old timer said to me once
If that old flip top fails with smokelss 32SW it was going to fail with black powder. Poorly made guns fail

Last edited:
Serial number on the butt points to 1971. For a bit I thought it was older than serial numbers, but the spin-nocks (?) On the cylinder looked pretty modern.
You have a neat gun. A few friends on another Forum have done some load development work which I can’t pass on for safety sake. The ammo is “warm”. By the way, I’ve fired .32ACP out of that same gun in nickel plate. The next one I come across I’m buying.

Back
Top Bottom