• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

308 Varget and 165gr Sierra Gameking

Anyone use this combo? 165gr Sierra Gameking with Varget powder and federal primers? Shooting at paper out of a Remington 700p 26" 1/12 twist.

I shoot that out of a 700 SPS. In cold weather they all go into one small hole. (.25 range +/-) In the summer they are in the .75 range, sometimes more depending on the mirage.

Dave

Excellent, guess it will all come down to me then. What powder measure are you running?

I shoot that out of a 700 SPS. In cold weather they all go into one small hole. (.25 range +/-) In the summer they are in the .75 range, sometimes more depending on the mirage.

Dave
do you think this is directly related to weather , ammo or gun. I only ask because one of my M1s shoots best in cold dry air. once the humidity creeps back in the rifle changes its poi and accuracy is less.

do you think this is directly related to weather , ammo or gun. I only ask because one of my M1s shoots best in cold dry air. once the humidity creeps back in the rifle changes its poi and accuracy is less.

I definitely don't know what the reason is but it happens to me on other rifles and loads as well.

Dave

You go that high? Hodgdon is showing 46gr for max and 42gr for low.

I rarely have any load that is more accurate below the max listed. Keep in mind the listed max is not the "kaboom" max. It's a load with no pressure signs or measured pressure exceeding spec under worst case conditions.

That doesn't mean I think you should start at 46gr. I'm saying if you do a OCW test you'll likely find the high node is above the max listed. That's not to say you can't load to a lower node. You can. But you'll sacrifice long distance accuracy due to lower MV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom