• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 reload data?

I'm new to reloading and finally got some supplies for my .308 Win. I have: Hornady 150 grain FMJ bullets, Winchester 748 powder, and CCI no. 34 primers. My Lyman reloading book doesn't have the exact powder/bullet match so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there a safe source get a starting load??

Thanks

I used 45gr of 748 under a Sierra 168 for years in my M14. I don't see why that same powder charge wouldn't work with a lighter bullet.
That's not a starting load.

I'm new to reloading and finally got some supplies for my .308 Win. I have: Hornady 150 grain FMJ bullets, Winchester 748 powder, and CCI no. 34 primers. My Lyman reloading book doesn't have the exact powder/bullet match so I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there a safe source get a starting load??

Thanks

As others have said, get a few manuals for load data. The Hornady manual is a good source, especially if you are shooting their projectiles. This is from the 11th edition

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thanks
here. try to download this file.
1682961580017.png

This is from the 11th edition in app form

Attachments

• 63DA7E4E-FB68-4E4C-BA23-4F875FC19384.png
    63DA7E4E-FB68-4E4C-BA23-4F875FC19384.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 4D6FBEC5-8473-4FFF-BA50-AD478FFCE53D.png
    4D6FBEC5-8473-4FFF-BA50-AD478FFCE53D.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 8EDA075B-409E-4E2D-B5A5-620BC8EF5D0C.png
    8EDA075B-409E-4E2D-B5A5-620BC8EF5D0C.png
    25 KB · Views: 4
Thanks!! I'll purchase the Hornady reloading book.

I suppose I didn't know if its possible to have a bullet/powder combination that hasn't been tested...

Thanks!! I'll purchase the Hornady reloading book.

I suppose I didn't know if its possible to have a bullet/powder combination that hasn't been tested...
Yes it is
Trick is to use the starting load for a similar bullet of the same or slightly greater weight and seat to a similar depth as long as that depth doesn't hit the lands.

But since a published load was given, start with that

Thanks
Sometimes when it seems hard to find data it can be a indication of the powder/bullet combo is not common. Does not mean it will not work. You just have to do a little more work to find the data.

Tou can also call the powder manufacture they can give you insight on load data

748 seems to be a small cartridge powder. Seems to fade out of use up to 30-30? I know several 223 reloaders that use 748

Last edited:
Sometimes when it seems hard to find data it can be a indication of the powder/bullet combo is not common. Does not mean it will not work. You just have to do a little more work to find the data.

Tou can also call the powder manufacture they can give you insight on load data

748 seems to be a small cartridge powder. Seems to fade out of use up to 30-30? I know several 223 reloaders that use 748
748 is right in the same neighborhood as Varget and RE15.

Thanks

This NEEDS to be your next purchase prior to loading any ammo. Start out safe and educated.

Back
Top Bottom