.308 semi

bigmanfugitive

NES Member
Just a question to all of you regarding a .308 semi-auto rifle.
I was looking to expand my collection and wanted some input as to what is preferred to individuals and maybe some stuff I have over looked. Any info is welcomed thanks for your time.

I just picked up a PTR-91. I wanted to go with a FAL because previous experience with a CETME turned me off of the roller delay system but after some research and a weekend with a buddys PTR-91 my confidence was restored. I's surprisingly accurate, fun and comfortable to shoot and mags are $4.

If I can get the funds together for a FAL before any bans come crashing down I'll pick one up.

M1A's are gold if you have the money. I'm sort of speed buying fearing a ban so there isnt time to save up for one, unless somebody wanted to buy a couple mountain bikes from me. [wink]

You might want to do a search here, as this subject has been discussed often and at length. The usual suspects are M1A, FAL, HK-91/PTR91, and AR10. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, along with adherents and critics. I own an M1A, FAL, and AR10. I prefer the M1A. YMMV.

Here is another option. IMI import Galil 308 ARM OH and from what I understand its legal in Mass as its not only Pre 1994 ban but Pre 1989 import ban.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54554
Galil308ARMRightSide.jpg

There was some more discussion of 308 rifles going on here that's worth looking at.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Different rifle designs are better in certain areas, or acceptable in all areas. Considering what they cost, I would want to try/handle a few to see what fits me.

I'm not a fan of the CETME/PTR-91/G3 design, but that's personal preference, not saying that the rifles suck. Well, Century built CETMEs have a high suck probability, but that's another story. Dirt cheap mags are easy to find, too. I own one.

I like the FAL, fits me well, battle rifle accuracy, reliable. I have read that it's more difficult to accurize, but have no first hand knowledge of that. Mags are a little more expensive than G3, but there are plenty out there.

The M1A is a favorite of mine. Accurate, reliable, fun to shoot. I had a tough time finding a scope setup that I liked, but that's how it fit me - YMMV. I didn't like how high most scope mounts put the scope on the rifle, and couldn't find a cheek pad I was happy with. I've got an MCS chassis on it now which shows promise, but I need another scope to try it out with. More expensive mags, especially preban hicaps.

The AR10 platform might be a good choice if you can't decide what the rifle is going to be for. It shares the easy to modify heritage of the AR, so if you decide after buying a heavy barrel target AR-10 you really wanted a carbine, start swapping parts. I haven't owned one, or shot one - but I do have a CMMG 308 AR lower that uses G3 mags on order. Magazines might be the weakest point, since the AR-10 doesn't have preban hicaps out there.

Have fun looking!

Read my sig man....And not the one about the beer...Okay read that as well - they both make sense...[wink]

You know, your sig works just as well backwards.

"M1As are living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

"God wants you to have an Beer " - Me

Maybe Ben didn't know about the M1A then, though.

I bet he has one now.

Maybe a little pricey these days, but you really can't beat an M1A. I'll also second an AR10 as a good choice because of its modularity if you can live without 20 round mags (or if you have pre-ban M1A mags you are willing to sacrifice to convert to AR10 config.).

Armalite AR10

YES! in deed ..armalite ar-10 is king or a m1a

cant wait to finish my m110 build

i dunno bout you guys but i found plenty of gen1 pre-ban mags for the ar-10(converted from pre-ban m14 mags by armalite)..you just need to look in the right places and be ready to open your wallet. like $70-80 a mag! when you do find em

Last edited:
Take a look at the Saiga 308. It's not an M1A, but neither is it's price. It all depends upon what you want to do.

I have or have about all of the choices and the M1A is the one rifle I will never be without. It is more accurate that I will ever be, totally dependable and a joy to shoot. I do not own a Springfield because they are, this is gonna pi$$ off a ton of people, grossly overpriced but they do have a great warranty. The old ones made with USGI parts are great and probably worth the money. Look for a PolyTech if you can find one, they are the best of the imports. They will easily shoot as well as todays SAs. I have one and regret recently selling another. The other I have is an early Federal Ordanance made worth USGI parts, but some have been so-so.
My 2nd place suggestion is the HK. I just bought a PTR91, the reason I sold the Poly, and it's very good. The only down side is, as mentioned, they are a PITA to clean. My CETME was fun, but a pain to clean and head space kept changing and I got tired of replacing rollers every few thousand rounds
The FAL is good, particularly those built on the Austrian or Israeli parts sets, but even the Brit and Aussie versions won't let you down. Make sure the bolt has the sand cuts and stay away from Enterprise Arms receivers and Century Arms rifles.
I have not tried the Saiga but those who have them are pretty happy and the action is sure proven.
I have never been an AR fan, but it's a personal opinion.
Just decide what you want the rifle to do and look for a well made example.

Back
Top Bottom