• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 resizing question UPDATED

I just got a bolt action .308 and decided to reload some ammo the other day. I have a bunch of factory PRVI Partizan that I fired so I neck sized it and loaded up some 150's and 168's. When I tried to chamber them they were getting stuck and they were tough to eject. I made around 30 rounds and everyone I tried had the same problem. After alot of screwing around with dies and calipers I tried to full length size the cases which eliminated the problem. So, what good is a neck sizing die? It seems like I'm goig to have to FL size every time anyway. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share?

Last edited:
Was that brass fired out of that rifle? Neck sizing is typically done to extend brass life once you have fired it in that gun.

B

Yes it was fired out of the same rifle. The first firing was factory loaded, then neck sized, then reloaded and would not chamber until I full length resized. I figured I would be ok because it would be fire formed, but for some reason the neck sizing doesn't seem to work.

What kind of bolt action is it? You should be able to take a fired case and put it right back into the gun and cam the bolt down with out any problem.

How did you check the seating depth for your bullets? Could they possibly be seated out so long as to prevent the bolt from closing?

B

It is a savage 10fp. I can chamber a once fired case, but for some reason when I load the finished cartridge it won't chamber unless it is FL resized. The OAL is definitely ok because they chamber fine once the brass is FL resized. I figured out the resizing problem, because I tested as follows

1)PRVI once fired in my rifle neck sized = did not chamber without force and ejected with markings on the bullet
2)PRVI once fired in my rifle FL sized =chambered and ejected effortlessly
3)WIN range brass FL resized=chambered and ejected effortlessly
4)S&B 7.62*51 range brass FL resized=chambered and ejected effortlessly

Could it be the rifle does not like neck sized brass for some reason?

I'd try neck sizing on the Win and S&B brass to rule out something specific to Privi, but it sounds like you have a tight chamber somewhere below the neck.

Edit: Possibly a better phrase would be "uneven" chamber -- perhaps there a high or low spot below the neck preventing a neck sized round from chambering easy in all but one orientation -- where it was when the cartridge was fired?

Last edited:
Full length size your cases, reload them, fire them and try neck sizing again see if there is a difference. Also you may want to try a different brand of brass. I have loaded the privi brass in the past, but only FL sized with no problems but I usually stick to Hornandy or Win brass. When you neck size you will eventually have to run them thru the sizer die, but I generally get about four to five firings before I have to do that plus my loads are at the lower end. Did you have trouble extracting the cases on the first firing? What type of markings on the bullet? If it continues to be a problem with different brands of brass it could be an out of spec chamber, maybe a burr in the neck area of the chamber? if you have a cartridge headspace guage (which you should) stick some of your fired brass in it and see what kind of reading you get. These are just some things off the top of my head I am sure some of the others here will have some real good advice as well.. Good luck and don't give up..neck sizing really does pay off (IMHO). Figuring out these little PIA problems is a great learning experience.

Last edited:
It is a savage 10fp. I can chamber a once fired case, but for some reason when I load the finished cartridge it won't chamber unless it is FL resized. The OAL is definitely ok because they chamber fine once the brass is FL resized. I figured out the resizing problem, because I tested as follows

1)PRVI once fired in my rifle neck sized = did not chamber without force and ejected with markings on the bullet
2)PRVI once fired in my rifle FL sized =chambered and ejected effortlessly
3)WIN range brass FL resized=chambered and ejected effortlessly
4)S&B 7.62*51 range brass FL resized=chambered and ejected effortlessly

Could it be the rifle does not like neck sized brass for some reason?

You mention markings on the bullet. Is it possible the first time you chambered each round you were actually seating the bullet deeper?

If this is the case. The second time the round was chambered it would
be easier.

I'm not second guessing what you are telling us but there shouldn't be any
markings on the bullet from chambering. Unless it is hitting the rifling.

Did you have trouble extracting the cases on the first firing? No, they came out fine.

What type of markings on the bullet? It looks like it is hitting the rifling, but only on one side of the bullet.

You mention markings on the bullet. Is it possible the first time you chambered each round you were actually seating the bullet deeper? No, the OAL stays the same.

The neck sized brass chambers fine, it's when the completed cartridge is chambered that there is a problem. The problem is only with the PRVI once fired by me and neck sized. I am goin to fire some reloaded range brass and see if it happens with that too. I just checked some PRVI factory rounds and some of them(not all) are doing the same thing. It seems like the PRVI brass may not be uniform.

Kinda sounds like the neck walls are to thick, and then when you stick a bullet in there it blows out the neck to much and it's too tight in the chamber.
What's the neck wall thickness of the Privi brass?
What's the diameter of the neck with a bullet in place in your reloads? Compare these numbers to the drawings in the reloading manuals.
Again, if you have a CHG, put your reloads in it and see how they fare.

On my reloads the neck diameter of a completed round is usually around .339" depending on brass used.

Last edited:
So when you run it through the neck sizer, it will chamber fine, but for some reason when you put powder and a bullet into it it won't seem to chamber. But when you run it through a FL die and load it it works fine.

I'm at a loss, but am sort of thinking along the lines of what 1903C said. if you have a 1 inch mic, I'd check the diameter of the neck after you have loaded it.

What bullet were you using?

B

So when you run it through the neck sizer, it will chamber fine, but for some reason when you put powder and a bullet into it it won't seem to chamber. But when you run it through a FL die and load it it works fine.

I'm at a loss, but am sort of thinking along the lines of what 1903C said. if you have a 1 inch mic, I'd check the diameter of the neck after you have loaded it.

What bullet were you using?

B

Yeah that's exactly what is happening. I'll mic some and see what I get. The only thing stopping it from chambering is the bullet rubbing against the rifling. The bolt will close, but it won't lock down, then during extraction it gets stuck and the bolt needs to be pulled back with a good amount of force. I was using 168gr sierra match kings and 150gr hornady fmj/bt. It is not the brass getting stuck it is the bullet, it is as if it is not centered in the case.

Yeah that's exactly what is happening. I'll mic some and see what I get. The only thing stopping it from chambering is the bullet rubbing against the rifling. The bolt will close, but it won't lock down, then during extraction it gets stuck and the bolt needs to be pulled back with a good amount of force. I was using 168gr sierra match kings and 150gr hornady fmj/bt. It is not the brass getting stuck it is the bullet, it is as if it is not centered in the case.

If the bullet is contacting the rifling then you are seating them to far out, period, that's the only way they will contact the rifling. The problem is with the brass. I would almost [wink]....... bet money on it....

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a neck sizer die?

Last edited:
If the bullet is contacting the rifling then you are seating them to far out, period, that's the only way they will contact the rifling. The problem is with the brass. I would almost [wink]....... bet money on it....

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for a neck sizer die?

They are seated to 2.800 and only contact on one side no matter how it is loaded. If I loaded eject - spin it - load and eject again, the mark is in the same place. I am using a rcbs neck sizer. The brass measures 2.015 +/- .005 but is not trimmed. I have a feeling it is the brass also. I am going to pull all the reloads and FL size them and reload again to see if they have the same symptoms. I appreciate all the replies!!!

Well, I pulled all the PRVI reloads and full length resized them and they now are 100% chambering with no friction. I guess the brass was sized properly at the factory. Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom