.308 AR

Thinking about building my own AR in .308. I know the lower, barrel and bolt need to be specific for the caliber and with this caliber a stronger buffer spring should be used but what about the upper?

The upper also has to specific to the caliber. Actually, just sort of: the same .308-size upper can be used for .243, .260, etc..
There are just 2 sizes in uppers and lowers that I know of: the common .223 size and the larger .308 size. Obviously, they must be matched to each other.
There are some oddball uppers in 30-06 and 50BMG, but they are not common.

.308 lower and upper are significantly larger than a 5.56 upper. I've got both. The .308 is a battle axe - big, long, and heavy.

Not only do the lower and upper have to be specific but there are 2-3 different types out there that are not cross-compatible.

.308 AR's

Thinking about building my own AR in .308. I know the lower, barrel and bolt need to be specific for the caliber and with this caliber a stronger buffer spring should be used but what about the upper?

What do you plan on doing with the rifle should be the first question? If your just planning on shooting woodchucks out to a couple/few hundred yds, You can pretty much buy a brand new complete LAR-8 from RRA(Rock River Arms) thats capable of sub MOA groups for $1500. If your planning on using for match/competition anyone will tell you there is no limit on what your cost will be. If your in New England,there aren't many 1000yd ranges or places where you can go and just shoot(friends sandpit,etc)that have that kind of range. Like PatMcD said(if memory serves me correctly his profile pic looks an awful lot like Perry..)there are alot of manufacturers out there that have very specific manufacturing specs that don't allow non manufactuer components.. I'm currently shooting and setting up a RRA LAR-8 for the optics class @ Perry this yr. Off a "soft" rest,I'm holding sub MOA groups @ 300 yds... with Hornady factory ammo shooting 150gr SST ammo.

Not only do the lower and upper have to be specific but there are 2-3 different types out there that are not cross-compatible.

And I believe different brands use different mag types, to further complicate it.

Consider the price of compatible pre-ban mags in the whole decision.

You also need a 308 spring and buffer.

And I believe different brands use different mag types, to further complicate it.

Consider the price of compatible pre-ban mags in the whole decision.

This. There was just a group buy for 308 lowers that accept the inexpensive G3 mags. Wish I got in on that.

I had a DPMS LR-308. It was scary accurate with Federal GMM. I knew guys who had Armalites and a Bushmaster and they could never get the accuracy I was getting.

Still have my 308 by DPMS. Heavy stainless 24" barrel. If you are considering shooting off-hand, go with a shorter lighter barrel. I ended up putting 3 lbs lead unto buttstock to help with balance!!

Anyone know where you can get those CMMG G3 compatible lowers? I'm considering a build since the mags are so cheap. I've been looking and I don't see it in stock anywhere.

I've been threatening to put one together from the stripped lower I got a deal on and never have. I'm heard horror stories on reliability after around 200-300 rounds.. did you experience any issues?
use the good metal dpms mags and you should be fine. The only problem i ever had was when using the cheap plastic mags they were supplying a few years back.

As far as the lower itself, the Mk-* lower and they are readily available from CMMG... They accept the G3 MAgs....

That's where I'm at now.. do I want to mess with the expense/weight (but excellent dependability) of a M1 EBR or build out an AR .308.
I love my M1A loaded, but the EBR chassis for the M1A are just stupidly heavy. A 14 lb EBR is nothing more than a range toy unless you are a gym rat.

While I prefer my M1A to my AR-10, if you really want an EBR style .308, skip the M1A.

Back
Top Bottom