• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 AR

I love my M1A loaded, but the EBR chassis for the M1A are just stupidly heavy. A 14 lb EBR is nothing more than a range toy unless you are a gym rat.

While I prefer my M1A to my AR-10, if you really want an EBR style .308, skip the M1A.

Retardedly heavy? Yes. Super accurate with the right ammo? Yes. Shorter then my AR's when the stock is collapsed? Yes. Worth the money? It was for me.

Having carried an EBR around Afghanistan recently, I will echo the comments of M1911 about the M1A in EBR form being too heavy, still too long with the stock collapsed, poorly balanced, and impossible to clean properly without disassembly. A stopgap solution but one that needs work. The M110 is a better system all around. I have had an M1A or M14 for 25 years, but the design is not conducive to what people are trying to do with it. If you want a pistol grip, collapsible stock, rails, etc., get an AR-10.

My pick: http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php

If you're seriously shopping for a .308 EBR and want to test drive the JP, contact me.

Would a handguard off a 223 ar work on the 308 ar or does it need a different "bigger" handguard?

It generally needs a different handguard and, with most .308 ARs, the handguard is about .25" bigger in diameter. One thing I like about the JP is the acentric barrel nut that keeps the barrel just a bit below center in the handguard and allows use of a handguard that is the same diameter as the AR15 (it, same hanguard but of a different length and with a different barrel nut).

And no, I'm not impartial since I do projects for JP and am a friend of the factory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom