.308 AR isn't accurate enough. Barrel swap?

The position of the hole in the barrel nut determines how the gas tube centers in the receiver.

Once the nut it torqued into the apparently correct position, I put the gas block with tube onto the barrel. When that is centered, I look into the upper receiver to confirm that the tube is centered. When its centered, I check the barrel nut to make sure the tube isn't bring affected by the barrel nut. I will then bump the barrel nut one way or another to make sure there isn't pressure on the tube and make sure the tube is still centered in the receiver.

Once all of this is sorted out I will insert the bolt carrier by hand and make sure there isn't any interference as the gas key intercourses with the gas tube.

Its kindof like rubbing your belly and patting your head. But the thing to remember is that the position of the gas block and the indexing of the barrel nut are the two things that determine if the gas tube is centered in the receiver.

On most gas blocks the hole in the block is much larger than the gas port on the barrel. So you have some lee way to move the block around to make sure that the tube is centered in the receiver.

Don

730c10e335012fc363a7f2317fb4b41e.jpg

Muuuch better. 15/16" center-to-center.

Five shots @ 100 yards. Hornady Match 168gr.

Last edited:
f3beab8d04b75849c86cee490ab5a6f5.jpg

Muuuch better. Best five shot 100yd group. Hornady match 168gr.

f665d854a97b54b25cdb77579d36822c.jpg

Hornady

9116dee4f28bb4288e97b469ca389654.jpg

fc761caa66b4f916b976909872b815d3.jpg

GMM 168

I thought the Federal GMM might group a bit better. Now I know what the gun is capable of, I need to work on what I can do to be more consistent.

Last edited:
Nice , let me ask this

1. Was the barrel cleaned well before you re tested with the hornady match?
2. Do you think the GMM would shoot better if you cleaned the barrel and shot it with a fresh barrel?
Nice to see your back on track.

Nice , let me ask this

1. Was the barrel cleaned well before you re tested with the hornady match?
2. Do you think the GMM would shoot better if you cleaned the barrel and shot it with a fresh barrel?
Nice to see your back on track.
I cleaned it after re-assembly. Shot several mags of M80 to get back on paper. Shot some .22lr for a bit so Hornady group was cool-ish barrel. I didn't let it cool before shooting the Federal.

Will keep testing & working on my technique.

I cleaned it after re-assembly. Shot several mags of M80 to get back on paper. Shot some .22lr for a bit so Hornady group was cool-ish barrel. I didn't let it cool before shooting the Federal.

Will keep testing & working on my technique.

I'm just wondering if the different bullet types profiles or what have you don't agree with the previous bullets fouling?
I know my NM AR shoots 77nosler loads to 1moa. But I get lazy sometimes and shoot some ppu match I bought cheap. Its sub 2 moa ammo. When I switch back if I don't clean the barrel it takes many rounds to get back on track.
I noticed this with my latest build also. ?

Back
Top Bottom