300blk, 44 mag for hunting.

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
I want to hit the local woods this year and try to kill something. I have land, and and my land abuts more land. I know there are deer out there as I have spooked them with my dog just walking around, but it is pretty thick woods and I think something like a 308 or typical hunting cartridge might be a bit much considering I can't even see 100 yards out there.

I have lurked hunting/lever rifle threads for a long time and I dig the idea of a 44mag that gets suggested often, specifically the Ruger 77/44. I think it would be fun to thread and run subsonic rounds through a 45 can off the deck. Plastic stock, stainless barrel and action, I wouldn't be worried about beating it up or it getting wet.

My other option would be to slap together a 300blk upper. I already shoot 300blk through one of my pistol uppers, I have a 30cal can, a 51t flash hider, and a spare stripped upper in my spares box. I would only need a barrel (16") and a KMR. An other perk would be I could basically clone my 556 gun. I know there are some full power loads that people say work great on deer and hogs, and out of a 16" barrel I would think the velocity would be there to get the job done. Amirite?

I have a single stage that I intend to learn how to use this summer so I don't care about ammo cost or off the shelf availability. I will likely wind up with both options before long, and I think they will cost about the same up front. What do my Internet friends think I should go for this year? My wife is pregnant so both is not an option.

edited for title change

Last edited:
It may appear think on the ground - but once you're in a tree stand the woods open up. You can see for several hundred yards or more. Get a rifle. .270, 30-06 or .308 would all be fine for deer. No rifles for us down below the iron curtain.

Edit: Some may disagree but I don't think .223 is sufficient for a ethical kill on a deer. They're surprisingly tough animals. Just this year I had one take a 385 grain 3" magnum slug from a 12 gauge in the boiler room (liver shot) and run well over 100 yards.... and that was a 3.5 year old doe.

Last edited:
I'm partial to my 30-06 at this point but did go thru the .308 vs 30-06 fight in my head/body. Now have both. Got decent scopes on both but the 30-06 has got me. I'll be happy to host at my club (HSA) to let you see/feel the difference. PM me if interested. Running a decent Nikon on the .308 and an Accupoint on the 30-06.
-Brian

Sounds like you have what you need for the .300 blackout. That should do just fine within 100yards even with a can.

For VT and KY whitetails and MT mulies, short range elk, I have Remington 700 in 308

I'm building a 300BLK for VT deer (must have mags <=6 rds). Use light bullets (115 gr. Barnes).

slug from a 12 gauge in the boiler room (liver shot) and run well over 100 yard.

When did they move the "boiler room" from the heart to the liver? And why would anybody purposely aim for the liver, them's good eats. Heart/lung shot is the way to go.

When did they move the "boiler room" from the heart to the liver? And why would anybody purposely aim for the liver, them's good eats. Heart/lung shot is the way to go.

Hey, the heart is good eats as well! Can't win them all I suppose.

Thanks guys.

I do not intend to use 223/556 to hunt with, and I am not likely to take a shot at something 200 yards away. Ultimately a 308 gas gun is what I would like to have for hunting, but it is not in the cards this year. I want a 77/44 anyways, and I already shoot 300blk. That is why I started a thread asking about those 2 cartridges for hunting deer in NH. I am leaning towards a new 300blk upper since I can spread out the cost over the next few months and just have the parts delivered to my house, I am just curious about people using 300blk in this region for deer.

Sounds like you have what you need for the .300 blackout. That should do just fine within 100yards even with a can.

Here's to hoping hunting with suppressors passes in NH.

For VT and KY whitetails and MT mulies, short range elk, I have Remington 700 in 308

I'm building a 300BLK for VT deer (must have mags <=6 rds). Use light bullets (115 gr. Barnes).

I know Magpul makes PMAG limiters for hunting, so the mag thing is a non issue. If you don't mind me asking, if you currently use a .308 in VT for deer, why the switch to 300blk?

The 44 for deer is a "depends" round - Depends on the range and angle - you have to know the slow/heavy ballistics. A 30-30 would be better imo.

Do some homework on the 300 blk - I don't know enough about it but using a cartridge you already have makes sense.

Cartridges aside, the 77/44 is an interesting choice - the $800 might be better served toward that gas gun. That's just me on the outside - I'm sure you have great reasons for wanting one and I won't discourage that - I have a 44 carbine that I haven't' shot since sighting it in and verifying POI at ranges.
30-06, 308, 30-30, etc.

The 44 for deer is a "depends" round - Depends on the range and angle - you have to know the slow/heavy ballistics. A 30-30 would be better imo.

Do some homework on the 300 blk - I don't know enough about it but using a cartridge you already have makes sense.

This is kind of what I keep coming back to.

Cartridges aside, the 77/44 is an interesting choice - the $800 might be better served toward that gas gun. That's just me on the outside - I'm sure you have great reasons for wanting one and I won't discourage that - I have a 44 carbine that I haven't' shot since sighting it in and verifying POI at ranges.
30-06, 308, 30-30, etc.

$800? I know a guy. [wink] Why I really want the 77/44 is for heavy subsonic suppressed back yard fun. It also seems to fit the bill for a lightweight gun that could be used well enough for deer in my neck of the woods.

There are some decent bullets for hunting. I get around 2400 fps with a 125 grain projectile out of my 16" 300 BLK barrel using lil gun powder.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

I could easily see my usual 208gr AMAX over 1680 subsonic being a fun round to tag a deer with. I just need more 1680.

Bear with me as I am still learning, but subsonic? I was thinking more of the 110-125 range as fast as I could push them.

Or a heavy hitter. It'll still pack a punch. Make sure you run an adjustable gas block if you're considering toying with either. I didn't and my bolt carrier gets messy after supers

Edit: and I mentioned subs because you said they'll probably be close range shots.

Last edited:
I know Magpul makes PMAG limiters for hunting, so the mag thing is a non issue. If you don't mind me asking, if you currently use a .308 in VT for deer, why the switch to 300blk?

I have some 5 rd mags from AR stoner (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...ngton-with-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel). I have problems with them a lot, so I'll looking into the limiters.

Why hunt with 300BLK?
* my 308 has a 10x - 40x scope on it, not great for 50 - 75yds (most of the shots at the cabin in the Chateauguay)
* my 300BLK is custom built by me, I like do things with stuff that I make (I build fly rods and tie flies for Montana too).
* it pisses of my anti in-laws who claim that nobody needs an AR for hunting (which I like to do)
* excuse for another toy.
* why not?

Or a heavy hitter. It'll still pack a punch. Make sure you run an adjustable gas block if you're considering toying with either. I didn't and my bolt carrier gets messy after supers

Edit: and I mentioned subs because you said they'll probably be close range shots.

I am curious about what you are seeing with the BCG, I have shot both subs and supers through my short upper with out issue. Are you issues related to a longer barrel?

I have some 5 rd mags from AR stoner (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...ngton-with-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel). I have problems with them a lot, so I'll looking into the limiters.

Why hunt with 300BLK?
* my 308 has a 10x - 40x scope on it, not great for 50 - 75yds (most of the shots at the cabin in the Chateauguay)
* my 300BLK is custom built by me, I like do things with stuff that I make (I build fly rods and tie flies for Montana too).
* it pisses of my anti in-laws who claim that nobody needs an AR for hunting (which I like to do)
* excuse for another toy.
* why not?

All of these reasons line up with my same thought process. Shooting real animals with rifles is new to me, so I am just trying to make sure my logic is sound.

I think a 300blk upper is going to win out for me. That should hold me over until I can grab that 308 gas gun I want, and find a more interesting place to walk my rifle.

I am curious about what you are seeing with the BCG, I have shot both subs and supers through my short upper with out issue. Are you issues related to a longer barrel?

Excess unburnt powder and/or residue. I can tell I'm over gassed for supers. But it runs great with subs. 16" barrel. Carbine length.

Really puts some junk in there so the bolt ends up getting sticky sliding in the carrier.

I took a Maine black bear with a rubber M44, it's short range shooting in those woods, and it put a hole the size of a quarter in one side and out the other.

Thanks for all the comments.

AWS has just posted their 308 upper lower sets for a pretty good deal, so I think I might just get that 308gas gun I wanted after all.

Hunting deer for about 50 years and my Ruger 44 Carbine is my first choice,in the heavily wooded New England states.In MA it's now a 20 gauge with sabot slugs.The 44 mag uses lead gas check rounds,and entry is .44 and if they exit it will expand to twice that diameter.The Ruger is a small,light gun to carry around in the woods and appreciated by days end. All you need is some thing that will put the animal down and not process it at the same time.With my .56 cal smoke pole,I took a buck that was running away trying a Texas heart shot.Missed the bullseye by a few inches and lost a good hind quarter.

family owns land in maine and do rifle hunting up there , mostly thick and max maybe 100-125 shot but on average 50-75 yards

i use a 35 whelen in a rem 700 and i also have a marlin lever 1895 45/70 both rounds are plenty more than needed , but shot placement is everything.

my old man uses a 7mm-08

a shotgun with a slug maybe a good bet in that woods of yours

Back
Top Bottom