• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Missing Hunter in Westport, 2 found Dead, 1 transported to RI Hospital

I've been told the survivor is Dr. Gregg Angell (OB-Gyn) who practices in New Bedford (used to be Fall River).

my condolences to any that know those that have passed away

Very sad event. My thoughts go out to the families. Doing what you love to do is a strong magnet even in marginal conditions. Got to be ready though, with PLB's down in the $250 range each hunter having one MAY have helped along with a handheld VHF. Not second guessing just say'n.

Key word there, as you emphasized, is 'may' have helped. The normal notification and response time for a 406, whether PLB or EPIRB (only functional difference nowadays is most PLB's don't have a strobe or the same battery life) would have still made it a close one in 35 degree water. With prompt notification by other means, such as someone seeing the capsized boat like happened here (assuming it was shortly after the incident), the PLB would have made it's biggest difference in final positioning. Little known fact is that all modern 406's also transmit a low powered 121.5 tone that you can pick up on a radio direction finder for final positioning. Some people call locating a 406 'running it down' for that reason - I get a last known position, set the DF to 121.5 en-route, and as soon as we pick up tone, run down the bearing. (In practice, you actually run the DF a few degrees OFF the bow, for obvious reasons)

I keep a GPS enabled PLB and a GPS enabled handheld with me when I am alone on the boat. My PLB does have a strobe (a small one) and the battery life IIRC 36+ hours. Granted as you note it all comes down to response time. The electronics while not a sure thing are better than yelling at an empty ocean IMO. Got to hedge your bets a bit right. I don't duck hunt anymore but if I did my kit would surely include the above items. I hope the survivor recovers quickly with no lasting effects.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a brutal way to go out.
My thoughts are with the families.
Rest in peace guys.

my sister works with the surviving doctor!..... poor guys god bless them may the 2 rest in peace! hope the Doc end up being fine..

I keep a GPS enabled PLB and a GPS enabled handheld with me when I am alone on the boat. My PLB does have a strobe (a small one) and the battery life IIRC 36+ hours. Granted as you note it all comes down to response time. The electronics while not a sure thing are better than yelling at an empty ocean IMO. Got to hedge your bets a bit right. I don't duck hunt anymore but if I did my kit would surely include the above items. I hope the survivor recovers quickly with no lasting effects.

If you want to be found in the water at night, carry a decent strobe. It's easier to find someone with a good strobe at night than it is to find a person in broad daylight. Seriously.

Bummer of a story. I've gotten to know Steve over the years and he was recently trying to get me to bring my son to his house to see all his mounted game animals.

PLBs and lifejackets at all times underway for my work. Things can go sideways quickly.

I believe I met two of the guys on the ramp 2 weeks ago.. They were friendly.. Sad story my heart goes out to the families

RIP Men. Sad story.

As a sea Kayaker we always drill ito the heads of new paddlers, " Dress for the Swim Not for the Paddle."
meaning always assume you are going into the drink. This may apply to duck hunting in small boats too.
I know they are expensive but a dry suit or even (semi dry suit) could be well suited to this sport. You will be amazed at how efficent a dry suit is. Freedom of movement, comfort, and warm.

If you want to be found in the water at night, carry a decent strobe. It's easier to find someone with a good strobe at night than it is to find a person in broad daylight. Seriously.

ResQlink with GPS and ACR strobe in a small waist pack and the GPS enabled VHF handheld clipped on the belt of my Mustang inflatable when I am alone in the boat always. Most of the rest of the time too. I have some issues with my hands and if I fall in I need to get situated quickly while I still have finger function.

Back when I was hunting in the skiff I always wore a camo life jacket. Not highly visible for rescue but in the places I hunted I figured with the floatation I could probably make it to shore and back to my car. These gentleman were in more open water and that is a whole different ball game. Tough break for sure, I will be interested to hear the story when the survivor is able to relate it.

Wow, that's a brutal way to go out.
My thoughts are with the families.
Rest in peace guys.

Actually - I don't think freezing to death is all that brutal. You just sort of go to sleep and your body shuts down.

That being said: RIP to the two guys who passed.

Hopefully the last guy recovers from his ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom