2nd Range Trip with the Garand

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Went for a second try today with the Garand. 41 degrees, sunny, clear, light breeze. Shot 7 clips, mostly HXP mixed '70s surplus. Started with the rear sight one click left, benched, 50 yards, large target. The first two clips were still right, and I ended up with three clicks left windage. I still have a problem with elevation; I'm not comfortable yet with a peep rear sight and blade front sight. I like the old fashioned 'pumpkin-on-a-post' style of my '03 Springfields. I leveled the base of the blade on the bottom of the peep, put the tip of the blade on the bullseye, and I was low. I had to raise the blade a little above the bullseye, about half way between the bull and the top of the target. You can see my elevation coming down by the end.

I shot 3 clips at the paper MOA target at the end; 50 yards, standing, hasty sling. The first two clips were low right, I aimed a little higher and spread my feet a little in adjusting for the last one and nailed it - that's the circled group.

Did have a couple of problems with the rifle. Twice the first round did not go off and the op-arm was jammed. An old timer took a 4x4 chunk of wood and struck the handle a couple of times to open the action. The second round jammed as well; we ejected the clip at that point. Another clip functioned perfectly; seems just a funny clip, or the bullets not quite set up right.

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Love my time out at the range with my garand.
Looks like its working right to me, enjoy.

Gotta admit, the Garand is one of my favourite rifles to shoot, used one in High Power competition for quite a few yrs. I have a "Navy" garand in 7.62 by 51 which is a great shooter. Enjoy your garand.

I have 2 service grade CMP garands. from mechanical Zero both rear sights take different adjustments for "My" Zero. same ammo
ex my 1942 SA Garand with no wind is 4 clicks left to bring to center of target 8 clicks up from 0 elevation gets me on the X with a 6 O'clock hold.
1952 SA takes 7 clicks to the right to get my no wind zero @ 100 yards 10 clicks up to get me on the X.
Every time I go the elevation can be a bit different 1 click up or down. I also tend to shoot high when standing so come down 2 clicks when standing.

Things that really helped my Garands....I centered both front sights. They both worked loose after a couple of trips. I also tightened the gas screw with a 1/4 drive extension and ratchet. The big thing is I do not seperate the stock from the action any more. This alonw has stabalized my groupings in a big way.

I have found reload recipe that works well in both rifles and feel I got lucky there. It seemed to take for ever and a huge pile of patches but finally got the barrels clean in both and they shoot so much better now.

Think you might make it down to Hanson for CMP fun shoot, just 5 bucks for targets if you bring own ammo and guns...

The best main battle rifle fielded in WWII. It is great to shoot.

And we all know what Patton said,

From 1936 to, officially, 1957, the Garand was seen in the heat of battle worldwide. Unofficially, it can today be encountered although considered to be "obsolete" by all but the most knowing experts--the ones who haven't forgotten what wins.

Douglas MacArthur applauded the M1. George S. Patton, Jr. proclaimed it, "the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man." Even the normally passive Dwight D. Eisenhower publicly praised it. Renowned small-arms expert S.L.A. Marshall, in his highly detailed and critical evaluation of the performance of U.S. Infantry weapons during the Korean War, noted the phenomenal love of the American infantryman for the weapon, who, without reservation, candidly stated to him on over a hundred occasions that he could not think of replacing it with anything else.

http://pattonhq.com/garand.html

For those looking for a Garand, Match Shot in Gardner had one that they asked me to check for them, it needed a new sight cover/spring which i replaced. While there I ran the gauges through it, barrel and gas system were in excellent condition,and the wood was solid. I believe it had a new leather sling on it. No idea what they were asking pricewise but it should be a good gun for someone. JT

Tim... next time you're at Sippican and see Charlie there, ask him for some Garand pointers. You know how well he shoots.

I also suggest taking Eddie Coyle's reloading class so you can start cranking out a Garand load that will work best for that rifle.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom