.270 Win

It's a great round. Why did you choose it and where are you huntiing with it?

Respectfully,
jkelly

Actually haven't purchased yet. Looking at rifles and found some nice ones chambered for .270 and wasn't familiar with that cartridge. Since I can't hunt with it in MA, most will be done in VT and ME.

Actually haven't purchased yet. Looking at rifles and found some nice ones chambered for .270 and wasn't familiar with that cartridge. Since I can't hunt with it in MA, most will be done in VT and ME.
I really like the 270 and I've had one for decades. You might be happier getting the same rifle in .308. They do pretty much the same thing, the .270 might be better with lighter bullets (for varmints) and the .308 with heavier bullets. A.308 rifle will have a short action while a .270 will have a long action and the .308 is more popular. They'd both be great rounds.

Good Luck,
jkelly

Having a .270 as my only centerfire long gun, the only aspect of it that I don't find too positive is the lack of variety of factory loads. Of course, that just means I *need* more rifles!

The .270 could be considered THE deer cartridge (but not in MASS).The Great Cartridge Families
The .270 Winchester and .280 Remington are derived from necking down the 30-06 Springfield.

The .308 Winchester is also a good cartridge, closely comparable to the 30-06. Derivations from that also good for deer are the .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, and 7mm-08 Remington. I'm not positive, but I'd guess the 7mm-08 might be the closest in this family to the .270.

ANY of these should do you just fine. Let us all know how you make out.

This Chuck Hawks guy seems to have a LOT of good info. Check out: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm

fullimage.php

I have a Ruger 77 MkII in .270 and I love it, my dad and I both use it and it's been a great round for both Moose and Whitetail, it groups well at 100yards and shoots fairly flat out toward 300 if you're hunting large fields or powerlines.

Also, my dad has a Winchester model 70, beautiful gun, if you have the option that's what I would suggest.

Jack O'Connor loved the .270. Elmer Keith didn't. But it does have a long rep for pretty flat shooting, and for whitetail it's more than enough oomph. I think .270 shot placement would get a lot more selective on moose, but what the hell do I know. The last time I hunted was with 8x57mm 200gr SP bullets doing 2650 fps. Like lightening. Great for guys who don't want to look for their deer more than 3 steps from where they shot them. JR

Last edited:
Jack O'Connor loved the .270. Elmer Keith didn't. But it does have a long rep for pretty flat shooting, and for whitetail it's more than enough oomph. I think .270 shot placement would get a lot more selective on moose, but what the hell do I know. The last time I hunted was with 8x57mm 200gr SP bullets doing 2650 fps. Like lightening. Great for guys who don't want to look for their deer more than 3 steps from where they shot them. JR

Shot placement isn't too bad, kill zone is the size of a 5 gallon bucket, I actually hit mine high shoulder/low hump and it dropped in it's tracks (literally collapsed where it was standing) with a 150gr federal fusion at 75 yards. I was very impressed with the umph it had on such a large animal. My dad used 150gr soft points at 360 yards through the heart/lungs animal just stood there for a few moments and fell to the ground.

I talked to several successfull moose hunters last year, quite a few used .270. The oddest one was a 30-30 in my opinion, didn't really consider it for moose hunting, but I'm not much of a hunter.

I was searching for .270 win cartridge recs and came across this thread. I'm going to be trying a .270 win for hunting whitetail in Maine come November. I've never used this caliber for deer before. Any recommendation of specific brands/weights? I'm going to sight in my rifle soon and want to use the same round sighting in that I'll be using in November.

thanks-

I was searching for .270 win cartridge recs and came across this thread. I'm going to be trying a .270 win for hunting whitetail in Maine come November. I've never used this caliber for deer before. Any recommendation of specific brands/weights? I'm going to sight in my rifle soon and want to use the same round sighting in that I'll be using in November.

thanks-

On the east coast with all the potential brush you will want the heavier 150 grain soft point. as for the terminal ballistics of remington v. winchester I can't tell you which would be better. And definitely sight in with the same round as what you will taking with you. When I swap between the two, 130 grain and 150, I have to re zero. One other issue I have is my .270 is a thin barrel so the zero changes over the course of a session. You will want to cool off the barrel and reshoot two rounds at the end to see if there is any movement.

Back
Top Bottom