• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Windproof jacket recomendations

I am in need of a light weight windproof jacket. The zipper on my old one has given out. I bought it years ago. What do y’all recommend?

The wind cuts though my Patagonia like crazy. No joke.
This is though.
View attachment 466705

This is the opposite of my experience. I have an Adze that breathes like a chain smoking asthmatic. I've yet to figure out what outdoor niche it fills. Its warm and reasonably waterproof, which is great, but its lack of breathing means it gets stuffy and sweaty which isn't. I didn't like it hunting, don't particularly care for it hiking, it's not great for regular use....

Standard Gore-Tex is overkill if you don't need it to also be waterproof. Gore-Tex makes a windproof membrane as well, but a bunch of companies do at this point.

When they go on sale, this is my next cool-weather jacket:

I've had their wind-proof fleece before. Pretty damn wind proof. Single layer does double duty.

But for a shell??? It won't work.

When they go on sale, this is my next cool-weather jacket:

I've had their wind-proof fleece before. Pretty damn wind proof. Single layer does double duty.

But for a shell??? It won't work.

I have a Patagonia windproof fleece that's basically their windproof membrane sandwiched between two of their fleece materials (R1 inside and R3 outside, I think). I can wear it with just a t-shirt under it when it's single digits and blowing out, then walk inside with it on and hang out in it for an hour without roasting. There's something special about windproof fleece.

I have a Patagonia windproof fleece that's basically their windproof membrane sandwiched between two of their fleece materials (R1 inside and R3 outside, I think). I can wear it with just a t-shirt under it when it's single digits and blowing out, then walk inside with it on and hang out in it for an hour without roasting. There's something special about windproof fleece.
Had a Duluth Shoremans fleece built like that for 10 yrs. Lots of pockets, too. Zipper finally broke.
They changed the design, and got a ton of bad reviews, so I passed for now. Still looking.

This is the opposite of my experience. I have an Adze that breathes like a chain smoking asthmatic. I've yet to figure out what outdoor niche it fills. Its warm and reasonably waterproof, which is great, but its lack of breathing means it gets stuffy and sweaty which isn't. I didn't like it hunting, don't particularly care for it hiking, it's not great for regular use....
I have a double wall? or lined I guess hooded sweatshirt from foot locker of all places... that I took from a lost and found from a place I worked (they used to get rid of stuff after an amount of time)... anyway, the thing is decently warm, and impermeable to wind. Holds up to water pretty good too, i've used it snowblowing and the wetness from the blowback doesn't get through it like some of my other coats. The thing has to be at least 20+ years old at this point.

Had a Duluth Shoremans fleece built like that for 10 yrs. Lots of pockets, too. Zipper finally broke.
They changed the design, and got a ton of bad reviews, so I passed for now. Still looking.

They disco'd a lot of their bulkier shoreman's/great-lake-tie-in lines. I had a Shoreman's for several years. My daughter got one of the last women's zip-up ones for riding (horses, not motorcycles). She is lamenting that some day it will wear out. They have this big Alaskan Hardgear line now. I THINK it's just more of the same with a bigger price-tag. But I might be wrong.

North Face is super popular right now. Grab the style number and Google it....for sale in a million places most likely. Or you can just order a sample (blank) one from us.

Others have suggested Patagonia...yup....they make great stuff too!

They disco'd a lot of their bulkier shoreman's/great-lake-tie-in lines. I had a Shoreman's for several years. My daughter got one of the last women's zip-up ones for riding (horses, not motorcycles). She is lamenting that some day it will wear out. They have this big Alaskan Hardgear line now. I THINK it's just more of the same with a bigger price-tag. But I might be wrong.
The Alaska Hardgear is crap. Thick Fleece Not windroof. Pockets suck. No handwarmer pocket, no inside pockets.
Sent it back.

I gave up on Duluth entirely. They kept mucking with their warranty, stopped making their firehose pants, in black, in my size, and generally started delivering junk, all in a short period. A shame too, I liked the standard firehose line.

In the outdoor wear realm, I'm a huge fan of those things I've bought from Rab, wouldn't hesitate to get more.

just found out patagonia are total corporate a**h***s.

BOYCOT the shit out of all their products

Welcome aboard!

I picked up some Sitka goretex stuff last season and I'm completely satisfied with it. Pricing was at a discount, so that helped.

I'm with @PaulR , goretex shell. I learned many years ago from skiing that the best shell you can get is money well spent. Then you can layer whatever you need underneath. A goretex shell, or other similar products, can be worn year round. I found a closeout on a Sitka shell last last year. It was a rippin deal. I think the jacket weighs ten or twelve ounces. It packs down to nothing so I can even fit in my flyfishing sling pack. And goretex is waterproof, so it is also great for rain. My shell is used for hikes, fishing and hunting. I deal with some pretty significant weather swings where I live now. Works awesome.

Columbia.

Great gear at a good price.
I've got the rain jacket with armpit zippers, if it's hot and rainy.
A little more expensive than the regular rain jacket. Definitely worth the extra money, IMHO.

SIMPLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT.
Lined pockets for your hands, or glasses.

Eta: I wear a lot of Columbia gear. So does my wife. Its comfortable and lasts. Typically less expensive than LL BEAN, or similar outfitters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom