• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.270 win recoil using H4350

I just loaded some 160 grain Nosler Partitions using 48 grains of H4350. My data suggests 49 grains is a max load, but my best accuracy seems to be with 48 grains. The thing I noticed is that this load seems to give very little recoil. When I shoot factory ammo, such as the Remigton Core Lokt(130 grain), or the Federal Vital shocks (150 grain), I notice serious recoil with this rifle. My reloads are giving me very little recoil. Can anyone offer any ideas why this might be happening? Will these loads still suffice for hunting large game?

Have you checked the speed with chrono to confirm load data? I have a few pieces of Hornady .270 if you want it?

Recoil and theperception of its magnitude have allot to do with some of the intangibles. Asthe pressure goes up so does the "felt" as well as the actual recoil.That's some of the why a 7x57 is perceived as a mild recoiling cartridge. The7x57 is a low pressure round, especially factory fodder. In your case I’d sayyou have a load which is lower in pressure than the factory Core-lokt 130's.You'd think that the added weight 130 > 160 would have added recoil, and inmost cases it would. You have no way of knowing what powder or how much is usedin the 130 load, but it's pretty safe to say that in your handloads the powderhas had a better chance of being more completely consumed by the time thebullet exited the muzzle. Some calibers are good at camouflaging their recoil,the 338 Win Mag is one. The 270 is usually an easy recoiling cartridge and you’vefound a “sweet” load for your rifle, enjoy.

In shotguns it’smore dramatic, in a short barreled shotgun faster burning powder gives lessfelt recoil. Opening up the forcing cone helps as well. Try shooting aWeatherby without lots of freebore, brutal.

Back
Top Bottom