• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Effects on felt recoil

kalash

NES Member
Assuming same bullets and similar velocities, will 6.5gr of one powder necessarily produce more felt recoil than 4.8gr of a different powder? Does the answer depend entirely on the powders being used? Or is it a wash since the power factors are almost identical?

Is case pressure an indicator of felt recoil in any way?

Does the answer depend entirely on the powders being used

Yes.
So to use those #'s you listed, 6.5 grn's of Unique might produce less felt recoil than 4.8 gr of Titegroup.
A lot of the felt recoil comes from powder design (flake/ sphere/ cylinder) and burn rate/ makeup.
6.5 gr of Unique might produce the around the same felt recoil as 4 grs of Win 231.

Unique is a single base powder, Titegroup would be a double base powder. Titegroup has a faster burn rate.

It can also be a wash if you're just trying to get a certain p.f., then its whatever burns the least amount, burns the cleanest and is super- consistent.

Case pressure "can" be an indicator , but its more of a threshold, like don't exceed X with cartridge A. All that depends on the design of that cartridge. "124 gr 9mm mouse-fart-barely-cycles muh glock "is going to have more case pressure than a 255 .45 acp I'm loading or .45 super, even though the bullet diameter is twice the diameter and twice the weight.

Its voodoo black magic wizardry.

Seems like if you had two different powders with different energy densities, they could burn at the same rate and produce precisely the same amount of gas, in which case you should feel the same recoil. The fact that one charge weighs more than the other doesn't matter. OTOH, I think you'll have less felt recoil if the powder all burns up with the projectile in the first couple of inches of the barrel with a fast powder as compared to a slow powder where there is gas generation even after the bullet leaves the barrel. Consequently, in practice, what I'd expect to see is slower powders tending to weigh more and also tending not to burn completely in handgun barrels.

Yes.
So to use those #'s you listed, 6.5 grn's of Unique might produce less felt recoil than 4.8 gr of Titegroup.
A lot of the felt recoil comes from powder design (flake/ sphere/ cylinder) and burn rate/ makeup.
6.5 gr of Unique might produce the around the same felt recoil as 4 grs of Win 231.

Unique is a single base powder, Titegroup would be a double base powder. Titegroup has a faster burn rate.

It can also be a wash if you're just trying to get a certain p.f., then its whatever burns the least amount, burns the cleanest and is super- consistent.

Case pressure "can" be an indicator , but its more of a threshold, like don't exceed X with cartridge A. All that depends on the design of that cartridge. "124 gr 9mm mouse-fart-barely-cycles muh glock "is going to have more case pressure than a 255 .45 acp I'm loading or .45 super, even though the bullet diameter is twice the diameter and twice the weight.

Its voodoo black magic wizardry.
Is a 6.5gr unique de-facto the best recommendation for a 124gr 9mm load?

i was just curious, as it seemed quite a bit of it. i do not reload 9mm, so, no experience there.

View attachment 602372

Yea, neither do I.
.45 woulda been a better example, I shoulda used that.
.44 is another good one, such a broad range of powders for 240 gr. @andrew1220 probably has .44 mag load data tattooed on the back of his hand, could probably make a comparison of .... I don't know, of how 15 gr of one powder might feel the same or less than 12 grs of another.

Since you’re talking about felt recoil not total measurable recoil, burn rate matters, even if you end up with the same muzzle velocity.

A faster powder will feel “snappier” (at least for non semi-autos)

I think I want to do an experiment now.

You'll feel a minor difference when you change powders, but bullet weight has way more effect on recoil than anything you do with powder.

I know you're comparing same weight bullets, but the recoil difference in S&W 500 between a 325gr bullet over 45.3 grains of H110 and a 700gr bullet over 26.5 grains of H110 is awe inspiring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom