Received my mythical "green card" today, the Massachusetts machine gun license as an individual collector!! The process was easy, and only took a few month.

Anyway, the restrictions says: Collector.

What does that really mean? That I can only collect, but not test fire the gun? I'm assuming it just means I'm a collector, and obviously a machine gun is nothing that anyone would be carrying for self defense, but I surely would like to test fire the thing at the range at times!

Any input would be great.

There are only two valid reasons for issuance, Collector and Instructor. The restriction is pretty much meaningless for most practical purposes as an MG owner. (although I wouldn't want to know the level of political hell you'd encounter in court if you carried/used one in self defense in MA, I'm normally not a big fan of ayoobisms and other pant shitting hysterics AT ALL but I would think that this would be a problem in MA. )

-Mike

There are only two valid reasons for issuance, Collector and Instructor. The restriction is pretty much meaningless for most practical purposes as an MG owner. (although I wouldn't want to know the level of political hell you'd encounter in court if you carried/used one in self defense in MA, I'm normally not a big fan of ayoobisms and other pant shitting hysterics AT ALL but I would think that this would be a problem in MA. )

-Mike

Given that the Ayoobism in this case is based on a documented incident that occurred in VA in 1984, I can't imagine how politicized it would be in MA in 2014. (http://www.davehayes.org/2006/02/10/the-gary-fadden-incident for those who haven't heard the story before)

Are there many ranges/clubs that allow MGs to be fired? I know my club doesn't allow them. A friend of a friend got booted from the club for shooting his MG a few years ago.

Given that the Ayoobism in this case is based on a documented incident that occurred in VA in 1984, I can't imagine how politicized it would be in MA in 2014. (http://www.davehayes.org/2006/02/10/the-gary-fadden-incident for those who haven't heard the story before)

Thanks for that story. In additions to the lessons learned as seen by Ayoob, I'd add one more: Prosecutors have entirely too much power.

Mansfield is MG friendly

Getting the green card is the easy part, the hard part is trying to find a decent Thompson under 18K. At the rate I'm going, My green card will be up for renewal by the time I find one.

You won't find a better club than Harvard.

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Harvard. I wish I lived further west. Living in Gloucester on the ass end of 128, it's a hike to drive to Harvard, at least to go shooting there regularly.

Mansfield is MG friendly

Getting the green card is the easy part, the hard part is trying to find a decent Thompson under 18K. At the rate I'm going, My green card will be up for renewal by the time I find one.

The Thompson is nice, but big bucks. Maybe you want to start off with a Reising or MAC. Jack.

Are there many ranges/clubs that allow MGs to be fired? I know my club doesn't allow them. A friend of a friend got booted from the club for shooting his MG a few years ago.

Hanson, Harvard, and a few others come to mind. There are a lot of other clubs that don't explicitly prohibit it in the rules, although if it's not typically a "class 3 club" expect the cops to appear eventually the first time you do it.

If your friend got booted from a club, I hope they at least had an explicit prohibition listed in the rules. If not, then they're a bunch of douchebags and should have amended their rules. There are a TON of clubs that don't mention any prohibition in their rulesets.

-Mike

The only clubs that can allow full-auto are clubs with a class A club license - not a cllass B club license.

Fred

Fred, most clubs in MA are not licensed by the state.... At all, to the best of my knowledge.

-Mike

I think it has to do with insurance.

Like the 2 in Bourne. MBSC is a class B and S.P&R is a Class A.

Also Sippsan in Rochester, and one in E. Falmouth.

Fred

Last edited:
Hanson, Harvard, and a few others come to mind. There are a lot of other clubs that don't explicitly prohibit it in the rules, although if it's not typically a "class 3 club" expect the cops to appear eventually the first time you do it.

I can't remember which one now, but I know one of the clubs I've shot at required a courtesy call to the local PD before firing full auto for exactly this reason.

Received my mythical "green card" today, the Massachusetts machine gun license as an individual collector!! The process was easy, and only took a few month.

Anyway, the restrictions says: Collector.

What does that really mean? That I can only collect, but not test fire the gun? I'm assuming it just means I'm a collector, and obviously a machine gun is nothing that anyone would be carrying for self defense, but I surely would like to test fire the thing at the range at times!

Any input would be great.

How did you prove your a "Bona fide collector"??

Back
Top Bottom