.243 Win upper for AR-10

Have any of you AR-10 owners ever had a .243 Win upper? What are your thoughts? I want a longer distance (200 to 600yrd) low recoil auto loading target gun. I'm toying with the idea of getting one and I already reload .243. I like the concept, but the platform is a little heavy for shooting positions.

The other option is just buy an AR-15. It'd be a little more expensive upfront, but cheaper to reload. My only reservation is that I never found 5.56/.223 that thrilling to shoot (I reload it for my dad's 556 Sig) and the reason I got the AR-10 to begin with. If I ever got into competition shooting, that perception might change...but I don't right now.

Last edited:
Would the 6.5 grendel or 6.8mm spc be an option?

sent from tapatalk mobile app

I think those are designed for the AR-15 platform. Even if they were available in AR-10, they are kind of esoteric...not very common components.

.243 is a barrel burner to shoot for long range. I think a .260 is a better option on that platform.

B

Good idea, but w/ 120gn to 140 gn projectiles, its starting to look like a .308 recoil wise. I'd like to throw something in the 70gn to 90gn area, however the reputation of the .243 as a barrel burner has me thinking this just is too big a platform for small bullets.

Last edited:
I think those are designed for the AR-15 platform. Even if they were available in AR-10, they are kind of esoteric...not very common components.

Good idea, but w/ 120gn to 140 gn projectiles, its starting to look like a .308 recoil wise. I'd like to throw something in the 70gn to 90gn area, however the reputation of the .243 as a barrel burner has me thinking this just is too big a platform for small bullets.
I don't think it would be as much a barrel burner with the heavier weight bullets and the right powder.

There is a difference in recoil but in a semi auto it is really not a lot of difference. In a bolt gun it will probably be a lot more noticeable but in an AR10 it's not going to be a lot different. Why are you concerned about recoil?

I have an AR10 in a 6.5 wildcat and it's not too bad shooting 142 Sierras. You can notice a difference between them and the 107s but not a lot.

What exactly are you going to be doing with it?

B

I don't think it would be as much a barrel burner with the heavier weight bullets and the right powder.

There is a guy in Ohio that shoots a 6mm wildcat that is based on a .243 and he loads H1000 and he is claiming he gets lots a shots out of a barrel. The problem is that I don't think H1000 would work all that well in an AR10. Have not tried it so I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing it would be less than optimal.

You can listen to the Personal Armament podcast with John Whidden (multiple NRA HP Long Range Champion) as a guest and he will tell you exactly what he is getting for barrel life with his .243. Not much.

B

What exactly are you going to be doing with it?
B

Target shooting practice...particularly shooting unsupported positions (seated & prone) rapid fire. Difficult with 308 to re-aquire target quickly. I love the .308 for supported positions and bench rest or in unsupported positions slow fire.

In short the kind of shooting AR-15 guys do utilizing the AR-10 platform I already own which I understand may be a non-starter.

Last edited:
I would not use a .243 for that. 6.5 Creedmoor would be a better choice. You can load 140gr bullets to mag feed and the barrel life will be a lot better. .260 Remington has a longer case, but you have the problem of loading heavier bullets to mag feed.

B

Good input...it's just that the Creedmoor isn't a very common case and doesn't have a common parent case I could form them from.

The answer here is probably to buy an AR-15...but I just haven't fallen in love with any of them yet. An AR-10 upper is ~$750, a decent AR-15 ~$1000.

Last edited:
Good input...it's just that the Creedmoor isn't a very common case and doesn't have a common parent case I could form them from.

The answer here is probably to buy an AR-15...but I just haven't fallen in love with any of them yet. An AR-10 upper is ~$750, a decent AR-15 ~$1000.

If you are trying to build a gun with good ballistics and low recoil that will function out of an AR10 and have reasonable barrel life the Creedmoor is it. Unless you are a masochist, you should try and avoid case forming for a semi auto that you will shoot a lot of rounds out of. You are going to lose cases and they are going to get beat up.

Why not just get a .308?

B

There is a guy in Ohio that shoots a 6mm wildcat that is based on a .243 and he loads H1000 and he is claiming he gets lots a shots out of a barrel. The problem is that I don't think H1000 would work all that well in an AR10. Have not tried it so I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing it would be less than optimal.

You can listen to the Personal Armament podcast with John Whidden (multiple NRA HP Long Range Champion) as a guest and he will tell you exactly what he is getting for barrel life with his .243. Not much.

B

True for a semi-auto you would most likely be more limited on the weights and types of powder you can use.
I just got done looking at several sites about barrel life for the .243 and there was alot of variation depending on how hot the barrel gets and the powders used etc.

Is this on an Armalite? I've never owned one, but I did have a DPMS in .308. That F-ing thing was scary accurate with Fed GMM. .260 is the only other cartridge I would consider on that platform. .243 is great for hunting, but on a rifle you will be shooting a lot, I don't think so. The Creedmore looks great, but I don't see it as any better than the .260.

Is this on an Armalite? I've never owned one, but I did have a DPMS in .308. That F-ing thing was scary accurate with Fed GMM. .260 is the only other cartridge I would consider on that platform. .243 is great for hunting, but on a rifle you will be shooting a lot, I don't think so. The Creedmore looks great, but I don't see it as any better than the .260.

Yep...its an Armalite. My research confirms the consensus here that the .243 is too much overbore for extended shooting.

Have you considered installing a better brake on your existing .308?

I don't have any brake. I actually have an AR-10t, which is the target version w/ a 20" SS bull barrel.

10TBNFLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
This is a little graph I put together on wind drift. All these bullets will shoot accurately but with you can see why the 6.5 caliber is so well regarded. The chart is based on a 1 mph full value cross wind. You can compare one bullet to another and see how fast you have to shoot the other bullet to equal the wind drift.

Sierra Wind Drift.jpg

Pat, the Creedmoor case is shorter and lets you load the heaviest bullets for the caliber to magazine length. I'm not positive if you can do this with a .260 Remington and a vld type bullet without resorting to a very short throat.

B

can I ask a dumb question?

whats wrong with a .308 gas gun? recoil really isnt terrible (and any real recoil there is can be easily negated by the proper use of a sling).

200-600 yards isnt technically long range (that's 800/900/1000+), and at that point, the 6.5mm's are going to be a distinct advantage. inside of 600 yards, you can shoot damned near anything and be competitive if you do your part.

short answer, just shoot the .308.....use the money you save on a new upper to buy some more components or ammo, and work on getting good zeroes.

can I ask a dumb question?
whats wrong with a .308 gas gun?

Nothing, I love the .308 and I'm not recoil shy.

I probably did a bad job articulating my motives. My rifle is set up as a bench rest / bipod target gun, it weighs 13 lbs and has a big target scope on it. It's an awesome rifle for its designed purpose and setup. Recently I borrowed a friends AR-15 and did some rapid fire target shooting from unsupported positions (seated and prone), and I thought I'd like something to do that. I started thinking about buying an AR-15...then thought that because I already had an AR platform if I bought another upper that had a smaller lighter optic and shot a smaller bore projectiles...I'd get two rifles in one. I'm not looking for a permanent change.

I love the gun, its just not setup for rapid fire shooting in the positions I mentioned. I probably should just buy a new rifle for that?

Last edited:
No matter the caliber, an AR10 is always going to be significantly bigger and heavier than an AR15.

Yeah, I am beginning to see that I'm trying to do something for which the AR-10 platform was not designed. Even if the barrel was lighter, and the scope were lighter...I'd still have a large frame, BCG etc.

That's the reason I sold mine: She be a big beast.
I had visions of using it as a match rifle in .260 until I tried shooting it offhand. Support arm too far forward. Might as well tie a kite to the front sight.
142's at 600yds were the big draw, but I came to reallize that's not where I was losing points.

Back
Top Bottom