.22WMR, .17HMR or .223

I know this is a long standing topic. Let me throw in a slight twist, current ammo. I'm looking for a target rifle to keep at home in MA, but which I could take to our place in VT and use for varmints as needed or in a SHTF situation. I have 22LRs up there, but ammo has become so scarce. It seems that .17HMR and .22WMR are more readily found. Since I won't shoot it a ton, I can trade availability for cost. Other option is to jump to .223 Rem. I don't have an AR and would probably look for a bolt in any of these calibers given current budget, maybe Ruger American Rimfire for the first two.

Given that great distance shots seem rare here in wooded New England, I was leaning towards the .22 mag. Any thoughts, suggestions? Am I missing the obvious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checking those out now. Not a bad option. Pricey, but a darned nice looking rifle.

22lr is coming back......seeing plenty of it these days even in bulk. Fs in woburn has bricks of CCI standard.....patriot in Ipswich has aguira super extra ......was there today and saw it on the shelves......actually turned it down Cruz I have plenty..........how long has it been since you've shopped for 22?

At any rate......if u r looking for another cal with some more "mustard" on it.....I've been considering a 17 hmr ........I've heard great things from guys I know that own them. In fact my next rifle will likely be a 17 hmr

Yeah, it is a bit of both. I have a Marlin 99, that I can't fix. Need to see a gunsmith, but how much can you spend on an old .22? So ideally I want something stronger that I can scope. From what I read from 0-100 yards a .22 mag is superior and beyond that .17HMR. Not sure which ammo costs more.

I haven't see .22LR at local wal mart, bass pro, PAW or Dicks. FS is too distant, though I bought my SiG there.

I know, I know it is Dick's but this is a pretty decent deal.

View Larger Image »
PRICE AFTER $50 MAIL-IN REBATE
Savage Arms Axis XP Synthetic

Prices Valid Thru Aug 23

$229.98

(Sale $279.98, Reg. $379.99)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

SALE $150 OFF, LOWEST PRICE EVER

Assorted calibers

Thompson Contender/G2 in .223

Get a single-shot Thompson Contender or G2 in .223 as a varmint/target gun. You can add a chamber adapter to fire rimfire 22LR/WMR through your existing barrel (with slightly reduced accuracy) due to the adaptable firing pin in the Thompson.

Don't let the (un)availability of cheap ammo deter you from getting a rifle in .22LR. Ammo situation is improving (slowly), and the price-per-shot is much better than any alternate calibers. Even during the worst of the shortage I never paid more than ten cents a round for name-brand ammo, less my cost in components alone to reload .223

Dude .17HMR is awesome to shoot. Super "flat" and fast. I am a big fan. Honestly .22WMR is such an awesome caliber too....i think it comes down to what type of rifle setup you want. The .17hmr is very light so great if you want something that allows carrying in LBE >200 rds easily.

I know this is a long standing topic. Let me throw in a slight twist, current ammo. I'm looking for a target rifle to keep at home in MA, but which I could take to our place in VT and use for varmints as needed or in a SHTF situation. I have 22LRs up there, but ammo has become so scarce. It seems that .17HMR and .22WMR are more readily found. Since I won't shoot it a ton, I can trade availability for cost. Other option is to jump to .223 Rem. I don't have an AR and would probably look for a bolt in any of these calibers given current budget, maybe Ruger American Rimfire for the first two.

Given that great distance shots seem rare here in wooded New England, I was leaning towards the .22 mag. Any thoughts, suggestions? Am I missing the obvious?

I don't see a lot of .22WMR on the shelves, but that round can take small game w/o destroying it. It's also smaller/lighter, so easier to pack. Could also pair it up with a revolver, maybe with some SD rounds. SHTF, you probably wouldn't want to make your location known to all, so the report of a particular round might be a factor.

Last edited:
Dude .17HMR is awesome to shoot. Super "flat" and fast. I am a big fan. Honestly .22WMR is such an awesome caliber too....i think it comes down to what type of rifle setup you want. The .17hmr is very light so great if you want something that allows carrying in LBE >200 rds easily.
Damnit.......I just bought a new smoke pole......now you got e wanting a .17 rifle......my wife is gonna be PISSED!

given the nature of your post I would go with a 223.. just has longer range/larger take down power and most likely will be able to find 223 vs the others if SHTF last longer than your supply!

So what is that?

An Anschutz 1517 MPR. I've had a 17 since they first came out.

Back then they weren't out of reach price wise.....I couldn't afford one now.

It is a very accurate round far more so than the 22 mag IMHO

I suggest you look at this:
First Look: .17 Winchester Super Magnum

Plinker, competitor, small-game getter and predator taker. Yes sir, the rimfire serves plenty of purposes and in doing so has become America’s darling; it’s fun to shoot, cheap to use and just plain efficient. But if you thought for a second that there were no more conceivable variations to market, then Winchester Ammunition’s got news for you with its brand new .17 Winchester Super Magnum.

This new load spits a 20-grain bullet at 3,000 fps, and a 25-grain load at 2,600 fps with energy levels right at 400 foot-pounds and 375 foot-pounds respectively—150 pounds more than the 17 HMR and solid 60 foot pounds more than the hottest .22 Winchester Magnum loading. Plus, when it comes to factors like wind drift and drop, the .17 Win. Super Mag. beats the HMR by half, and when it comes to the wind-challenged .22 Win. Mag., it simply leaves it in the dust.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/blogs/news-brief/first-look-17-winchester-super-magnum/#ixzz3BAoKW1Si
Winchester-Ammunition.17-Winchester-Super-Magnum.jpg

New 17 Winchester Super Magnum

more:
https://www.google.com/search?q=.17+magnum+winchester

I love 17hmr but have no use for it. Zero recoil and the crack is pretty cool. Accurate as ****. Savage model something I shot a while back. Do people reload those ?

I love 17hmr but have no use for it. Zero recoil and the crack is pretty cool. Accurate as ****. Savage model something I shot a while back. Do people reload those ?

17 Hornet has similar ballistics, you could reload that, but I imagine it would be rather a pain with the tiny bullets and such.

Think I've decided to get a .223 bolt. Just a more versatile rifle, even if more expensive at the range.

checkout the mossberg mvp. i have the patrol model, kinda nifty cuz it uses AR mags. not terribly fancy rifle but the barrel seems high quality and accurate.

I just finished this one up. A Savage BSEV in 17 HMR by adding swivel studs, a Harris 6-9 swivel bench rest bi-pod, lock lever, Latigo sling and a so-so 3-12 40mm Simmons pro target scope. Kinda nifty.

Only bolt 22 LR I have is a cricket bull barell I teach little kids with (top) but the next one down is a nice Marlin 983S in 22 Magnum.

If interested, the next three in order are 6.5 rem mag, 308 and 350 rem mag.

Back
Top Bottom