22lr with silencer

peterk123

NES Member
Thinking of doing this to the bolt action. Wondering if it truly makes a lot of difference, specifically when not using subsonic ammo.

Which ones would you recommend and which shop? Thinking silencer central because they ship right to your door.

Buy local or order to a LGS. The Silencer Shop platform is trash and a PITA.

Don’t buy online from anywhere that won’t ship direct to a LGS. SS makes you make an “appointment” to e-sign and it requires you to go to your LGS anyways.

Just my experience. All my cans are transferred in to my LGS and paperwork is done direct in the ATF site without dealing with SS.

16” 22LR Bolt gun with standard velocity and a suppresser is really fun. I use that setup for varmint control on farms.

"In" before the OCD gun nerds go nuts about using the term "silencer" instead of "suppressor" . [rofl]

@peterk123 I assume they will hold it until your Form 4 is approved? If you don't have a local shop that will work that way, online is an option. I think my brother in TX did that and had a good experience. I asked him who was the vendor.

How far will you shoot this? Colibri 22LR is super quiet even without a can. Subsonic 22LR will still go bang but w/ a can it won't. How quiet are you aiming for? I'd try even supersonic ammo. The 'crack' of the bullet might not be that loud. Anyone who has worked the pits at a rifle match knows that while not quiet, the 'crack' of supersonic bullets even for .308, .223, .30-06, etc. is not that bad.

Sucks we can't have a can for firearms here in MA, but I won't be here for long. In the meantime I put a can on a 22 cal PCP airgun. It's supersonic and very loud normally, but with the can the click of pulling the trigger is louder than the 'report', or lack thereof.

Will be shooting out to 100 yards, sometimes a bit longer. Since I have so much opportunity here to shoot gophers and prairie dogs, I thought it might make sense. The fields I've been clearing out do have homes nearby so I think it may be the courteous thing to do.

I have shops nearby me that sell them so I may take a drive and talk to them about the process as well.

Will be shooting out to 100 yards, sometimes a bit longer. Since I have so much opportunity here to shoot gophers and prairie dogs, I thought it might make sense. The fields I've been clearing out do have homes nearby so I think it may be the courteous thing to do.

I have shops nearby me that sell them so I may take a drive and talk to them about the process as well.
I'd lean towards working with a local shop. Given the distance and purpose, for sure the Colibri rounds won't work. CCI SV's with a can would probably be OK, as mentioned above. They are not that loud from a rifle without a can.

if it truly makes a lot of difference
for the rifle - really not a whole ton much, but for something like a ruger 4 if you want to shoot it without ears to resonate - there is helps quite a lot.
suppressors exist for a reason, and once you go that way, there is no way back. try to choose something you can rotate for other guns as well, do not cut costs where it matters.

When you know what suppressor you want, let me know and we’ll see if I can get you the best price.

As for supersonic ammo, one has two concerns, the gas and the sonic crack of the round. Almost all 22 ammo can get gas sound eliminated with the right suppressor.

Dave

I love 22 suppressed. Even from a rifle it’s worth it imo. But with subsonic ammo, it’s where it’s at. My go to is my cz455 with a Deadair maskHD. I use Eley subsonic hp as my standard chipmunk setup out to about 85 yds. 22lr from a rifle isn’t loud anyways but with a suppressor it’s just awesome.

P
try to choose something you can rotate for other guns as well, do not cut costs where it matters.

If by this you mean get a can you can run multiple calibers through, I disagree.

IMO not cutting costs where it matters means buying caliber specific cans.

Should have added. I use Silencershop and my lgs. Silencershop doesn’t require making an appt to certify. that’s the lgs making that rule up. My shop doesn’t require appointments to certify. I’ve bought things through SS online, my lgs and other shops that form3’d to my lgs. they add them to my SS account through the portal and process on a Singleshot trust. Everything has always gone smooth for me across many transactions.

I took my rimfire can out for some fun last weekend. My experience so far is that it seems to foul my barrel faster and accuracy falls off after maybe 200-250 rounds. More importantly, my velocity went up around 30fps and my ES opened up from 'teens to about 30fps. I was still able to repeatedly hit an 8" circle off a shmedium gamechanger at 300yds when the wind was consistent.

Initial impressions...quiet, ton of fun, looks cool, probably not accurate enough for serious competition use due to the inconsistent velocities. Unsure if this happens to be my particular can or if they're all like this, but it stands to reason this may be an unavoidable consequence of how a suppressor works and the slow and tiny rimfire projectile. Regardless, no regrets.

1000006563.jpg

I took my rimfire can out for some fun last weekend. My experience so far is that it seems to foul my barrel faster and accuracy falls off after maybe 200-250 rounds. More importantly, my velocity went up around 30fps and my ES opened up from 'teens to about 30fps. I was still able to repeatedly hit an 8" circle off a shmedium gamechanger at 300yds when the wind was consistent.

Initial impressions...quiet, ton of fun, looks cool, probably not accurate enough for serious competition use due to the inconsistent velocities. Unsure if this happens to be my particular can or if they're all like this, but it stands to reason this may be an unavoidable consequence of how a suppressor works and the slow and tiny rimfire projectile. Regardless, no regrets.

View attachment 878357
you could try to use a .308 can on that 22lr, to reduce impact of the turbulence to the projectiles.
sound wise it would not be noticeable much.
just need to make sure can design allows it to be opened up and washed from the rimfire gunk.

you could try to use a .308 can on that 22lr, to reduce impact of the turbulence to the projectiles.
sound wise it would not be noticeable much.
just need to make sure can design allows it to be opened up and washed from the rimfire gunk.
could...but I don't imagine the juice would be worth the squeeze. I figure I can have fun with this as is and I'll take it off and rezero before any serious matches or matches outside NH/ME.

View attachment 878357
That is such a cool looking gun!

I'd lean towards working with a local shop. Given the distance and purpose, for sure the Colibri rounds won't work. CCI SV's with a can would probably be OK, as mentioned above. They are not that loud from a rifle without a can.
Well that was easy. The shop here did everything. Including the fingerprinting. Got an Elite Iron Echo Lite, made here in Montana. There was guy coming in for his suppressor while I was there. Two day turnaround. Now that is a lucky duck.

We even got to shoot it while we were there using subsonics. Just went out back and let it rip.
That was ridiculous. Almost no sound. I think the action of the semi auto made more noise than the ammo.

Well that was easy. The shop here did everything. Including the fingerprinting. Got an Elite Iron Echo Lite, made here in Montana. There was guy coming in for his suppressor while I was there. Two day turnaround. Now that is a lucky duck.

We even got to shoot it while we were there using subsonics. Just went out back and let it rip.
That was ridiculous. Almost no sound. I think the action of the semi auto made more noise than the ammo.
2 days? I thought the minimum was still months. Let us know how long yours takes. I waited an effin' year for my first 2 to clear.

… specifically when not using subsonic ammo.

Regardless of silencers, there isn’t much reason to shoot supersonic 22lr

- The extra velocity doesn’t get you any meaningful difference in terminal ballistics

- You then have to contend with transonic instability possibilities after like 50 yards

Supers are only worth it if it’s all you have or if it’s needed to cycle a sensitive gun.

2 days? I thought the minimum was still months. Let us know how long yours takes. I waited an effin' year for my first 2 to clear.
I believe it. there have been some individual same day approvals. ATF is trying to lower their lead time average before publishing new averages.

Trusts are still getting f***ed.

Individual is measured in Days now. Trusts I think are around 3-5 months.
Ya, the guy in the shop encouraged going the individual route. It's not like we are going to have someone use it when we aren't around. Plus, where we live nobody bats an eyelash if the see you with a rifle, with a suppressor. If anything, they will ask you how you like it.

Now I'm thinking my AR needs one for coyote hunting.

fwiw I just picked up a polonium K and a full size. I love them. Mounted a K on my 12.5 AR and a full size on my bolt 16” 223. Loved them so much I bought another of each in fde. There are so many great cans out there right now.

when you do individual, how would you transfer to say, a family member, down the road

when you do individual, how would you transfer to say, a family member, down the road
I'm told it's just some basic paperwork that you file with big brother. It is not a big deal. And quite frankly, 30 years from now they will either be totally banned or traded like baseball cards.

Back
Top Bottom