22LR Kaboom in AR conversion

Partial update - dropped the ball on my end - still no email from Spikes, but haven't called them yet...

Part of the reason I was not in a hurry to do so is upon inspection of the rounds, I see plenty of wax (see picture in prior post). So, I ran some rounds through dry and you can see the wax building up rapidly...

Within 4 I could see it curling off the side...

So, I think I have my answer... Waxy rounds... The 10/22 eats them, I'd bet if I mic'd the chamber I'd find it a little loser than the LR conversion...

Either the mini-mags are going to get a swipe with a rag prior to loading or returned, I figure I will see how horrible it is to wipe them off as I load before I decide...

What do you think about the general quality of the conversion itself? Is it well built? I was thinking of getting one at some point. The only concern I have is any potential damage to the barrel, chamber, etc.

What do you think about the general quality of the conversion itself? Is it well built? I was thinking of getting one at some point. The only concern I have is any potential damage to the barrel, chamber, etc.
No concerns there...

It has its own "chamber" that fits in between the 5.56/223 chamber and the 22LR case. There are 2 little O-rings that make it a snug fit.

The 22LR is obviously a tiny bit smaller than the 223 round and thus its "loose" in the barrel. So, other than gas-tube lead fouling with unjacketed ammo, it will be easier on the chamber and barrel as a result (since its not coming into contact with the 5.56/223 chamber at all (and only as many times as you pull the conversion in and out of the upper).

So, wear and damage to the upper and barrel are pretty much non-existent. Certainly less wear and tear than the normal bolt moving back and forth.

Other than the charging handle, the 22LR bolt is self-contained, so its not moving against the AR upper at all - only its own rails...

I haven't put enough rounds through yet to say how the different twist rate of the AR vs the 10/22 (1:7 for the M4 upper vs 1:12 for the 10/22) and the "loose" barrel are effecting accuracy, but I would assume it is...

No concerns there...

It has its own "chamber" that fits in between the 5.56/223 chamber and the 22LR case. There are 2 little O-rings that make it a snug fit.

The 22LR is obviously a tiny bit smaller than the 223 round and thus its "loose" in the barrel. So, other than gas-tube lead fouling with unjacketed ammo, it will be easier on the chamber and barrel as a result (since its not coming into contact with the 5.56/223 chamber at all (and only as many times as you pull the conversion in and out of the upper).

So, wear and damage to the upper and barrel are pretty much non-existent. Certainly less wear and tear than the normal bolt moving back and forth.

Other than the charging handle, the 22LR bolt is self-contained, so its not moving against the AR upper at all - only its own rails...

I haven't put enough rounds through yet to say how the different twist rate of the AR vs the 10/22 (1:7 for the M4 upper vs 1:12 for the 10/22) and the "loose" barrel are effecting accuracy, but I would assume it is...

Thanks, I'm trying to reduce how many firearms I have laying around and was thinking of going this route and selling the 10/22... never really liked it anyway.

Thanks, I'm trying to reduce how many firearms I have laying around and was thinking of going this route and selling the 10/22... never really liked it anyway.
It's a fun way to "play" with the AR, but frankly, I don't think it can ever replace a well equipped 10/22...

My 10/22 with a bull barrel, hogue stock and scope is an absolute pleasure to shoot... Stock barrel and iron sights didn't do anything for me either...

But, with some upgrades, I really love it...

Not in mine. On my third upper, standard lowers, same company. If I don't go with a lighter spring I'll go auto. I don't have a problem with ignition.

Very interesting. I have had ignition problems using anything but a full power hammer spring in my two dedicated uppers, a DPMS and a Model One Sales, but neither has ever gone full auto with a GI hammer spring. I put close to 20,000 rounds through the DPMS upper with no problems once, I installed a full power hammer spring. The Model 1 Sales is new, with only about 5000 rounds through it.

What type of upper are you using and what type of trigger?

My Spike's kit gave me tons of problems until I found it ONLY likes WM Federal 550 packs. Other than initial jitters, it's been running OK.

I did once have a mini-kaboom where a case split but didn't bulge like that. Scared the sh!t out of me though. Kit, barrel and body parts were all fine.

Regular .22lr rounds are not usually the pinnacle of QC.

Ran some Federal through yesterday thanks to Riccochet and no go...

The CCI's fail to feed pretty regularly, the Federals were all over the map - FTE, stovepipe, FTF, etc...

It wasn't pretty...

Should get around to calling Spike's today hopefully...

Oh oh...did you try the other spring they shipped with the kit? It's longer and makes the bolt a lot snappier. Well, maybe not a LOT snappier but enough so that my kit runs well. In the instructions, they say to put that spring in to "tune" the kit if there is a problem.

Last edited:
Oh oh...did you try the other spring they shipped with the kit? It's longer and makes the bolt a lot snappier.
Figured I'd discuss that with them, but bottom line is the chamber is too tight...

Ammo that runs clean through a 10/22 by the hundreds is jamming OOB and has to be pried out (that was fun[thinking]).

I had the chamber too tight thing too. Funny you mention it. I did ship my kit back to Spikes to get that fixed. Totally forgot about that.

Have you tried dropping in rounds in the chamber? I did a test with various typed of ammo. With the kit out of the gun, hold the bolt open. If the round went in with little effort than I'd try shotting it. Unfortunately the only ones that went in were either lead or 550 Federals. No other copper plated round worked for me.

The tests were after I got the kit back. Before I sent it, virtually nothing would fit in the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom