.223 or 5.56mm

I'm building my first AR and was wondering what the pros and cons of each caliber is. I know you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 barrel but from what I've read the converse is not suggested due to increased case pressure. What do you shoot and why?

First off check this out: http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

What do you intend to use the AR for?

Basically and simply, most will go with a barrel marked 5.56. In this you can safely shoot 5.56 or .223, including any of the available military surplus ammo, or even the inexpensive steel cased Wolf rounds.

An example where you may want a .223 only barrel is if you were building a varmint hunting or benchrest rifle and accuracy is your primary concern. You would then likely be using premium 223 or even hand hand loaded rounds.

Since you said that you are building an AR I would say 5.56 as you would more choices for ammo.

I'm building my first AR and was wondering what the pros and cons of each caliber is. I know you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 barrel but from what I've read the converse is not suggested due to increased case pressure. What do you shoot and why?

Build it as 5.56

You never know when you're going to cross a good deal on 5.56 and if you can't shoot it, it'd be such a waste.

I shoot .223 but I can shoot 5.56.

Most AR-15 barrels are not ".223 only" so the point is kinda moot anyways.

I think some hi brow match/competition stuff may be strict .223 only, but most barrels are 5.56 NATO, and some have the "Wylde" chamber, which
takes .223 and 5.56 safely.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom