• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$71 Toolcraft (158/MPI) or $61 AO Precision (9130/HPT/MPI)?

I think my failing was by the time I click the links they already been updated in price so there wasn’t any listed for $60 anymore.

I guess I don’t know what “HPT/MP” Means either
Copied from: 5 things to Consider When Choosing an AR-15 Barrel - Lake Charles Bait and Tackle

“HPT stands for High Pressure Tested, while MPI stands for Magnetic Particle Inspection. This ensures that your barrel will not explode or crack under heavy use. A barrel that is high pressure tested, receives 70,000 PSI worth of pressure, which far exceeds the pressure that either a 5.56 or a .223 round create, thus making sure that it’ll handle those higher pressures without a problem. Magnetic particle inspection ensures that there are no micro-cracks or fissures in the barrel, thus ensuring that it can stand up to the use and abuse thrown at it.”

Higher end companies will test each individual bolt and mark them whereas some lesser tier companies are batch tested.

I actual knew what MP was… Just haven’t use the terminology in forever. I typically bought the more expensive stuff.. Might be why I haven’t had that many problems, but the same time I’ve see a lot of stuff fail. You get enough people together you’re bound to see some failures.
I guess for 60 bucks you could two or three of them… Most failures don’t qualify as kaboom anyway..

I wouldn’t run any of those BCG personally.
But when people start talking about wear after 4-5000rds I have to wonder if they spend More time jerking off on the Internet or shooting. Obviously whacking it on the Internet is far cheaper than actually doing something.. But come on a $60 bolt control group?… What is that were 30 rounds of ammo? I’ll go buy something nice and then buy some really shitty ammo.

Usually Bolt control groups fail nearly immediately or it lasts basically forever for most users.
Im an not heavily experienced in ARs but for the last 15 years I have some how become a AR “master” amongst my little circle if skinflinting AR friends.
Yes most failures I have seen are short use or right out of the box.
I have slapped together SFAR’s
SkinFlintAR’s all have gone bang and sime have gone bang+ 5k with abuse.

What cracks me up is when people actually run 5k plus rounds through thier rifles are worried about saving $30-70 on a BCG ?
Same as those worried about barrel wear. Buy it shoot it
I know deep pocket owners also
Buy a $3000 LMT and proceed to dump the shitiest ammo they can muster through them.
With my ARs that have seen the most use and abuse I can count and remember all the failures
1. Stag Arms carbine rear sight pin that holds windage knob fell out at 1000 rounds. - sent upper back to stag they sent me a complete new upper with bcg and CH
Ok what ever
2. Rock river arms - bolt rings for lack of a better description shattered into tiny pieces. Called /pics New bolt
3. My beater loner AR that I slapped together 10 years ago has a Mil spec bolt bought from JSE surplus just turned 3k rounds and the firepin broke.
My friends ARs are mostly lower tier discount rifles.
Funny thing is one friend had a bear creek AR IIRC it was on sale for $380 before the healy bs . Hes been dumping his stash of 1970s Norinco 223 through it a few years now. Hes done a few carbine corses with it also - think he went to sig for those. I forget.

Which do you think is the best value?

Or the phosphate 158 HPT/MPI for $59?

FYI
Here's those 3 now:

SALE PRICE:$109.95

SALE PRICE:$99.99

SALE PRICE:$99.95

Im an not heavily experienced in ARs but for the last 15 years I have some how become a AR “master” amongst my little circle if skinflinting AR friends.
Yes most failures I have seen are short use or right out of the box.
I have slapped together SFAR’s
SkinFlintAR’s all have gone bang and sime have gone bang+ 5k with abuse.

What cracks me up is when people actually run 5k plus rounds through thier rifles are worried about saving $30-70 on a BCG ?
Same as those worried about barrel wear. Buy it shoot it
I know deep pocket owners also
Buy a $3000 LMT and proceed to dump the shitiest ammo they can muster through them.
With my ARs that have seen the most use and abuse I can count and remember all the failures
1. Stag Arms carbine rear sight pin that holds windage knob fell out at 1000 rounds. - sent upper back to stag they sent me a complete new upper with bcg and CH
Ok what ever
2. Rock river arms - bolt rings for lack of a better description shattered into tiny pieces. Called /pics New bolt
3. My beater loner AR that I slapped together 10 years ago has a Mil spec bolt bought from JSE surplus just turned 3k rounds and the firepin broke.
My friends ARs are mostly lower tier discount rifles.
Funny thing is one friend had a bear creek AR IIRC it was on sale for $380 before the healy bs . Hes been dumping his stash of 1970s Norinco 223 through it a few years now. Hes done a few carbine corses with it also - think he went to sig for those. I forget.
My belt fed ar15 was eating $200 handles on regular before they sent me a new upper for free.

Apparently we burnt out the upper receiver on it.

I forget what you call it when you slam a gun on the ground hard enough to cycle it… That upper uses a pretty heavy Spring and buffer…

Regardless you know how people like the Forward assist on an ar15,I call it the reverse assist… Especially when you slam your butt stock on the ground, a rock, or a tree

FYI
Here's those 3 now:

SALE PRICE:$109.95

SALE PRICE:$99.99

SALE PRICE:$99.95
Also - Anderson BCG

What differentiates the BCG's in the first tier at a $60 - $70 price point (vs the Anderson) is that the engineering specs for the bolt's manufacture were all known/clearly listed.

Like I said--I hadn't seen bolts that cheap from known good manufacturers (repeat: from known good manufacturers) since the Remington bankruptcy/ensuing parts glut.

Sources in the firearms industry have been commenting that the market has reached a saturation point.

Hopefully excess inventories will pile up, and prices for parts will soften across the board.

I personally don't believe in buying cheap parts from unknown manufacturers. There is no point. I buy good parts from known-good manufacturers opportunistically when they are on sale.

I think there will be more buying opportunities coming up--provided that the war in Ukraine doesn't go hot enough to involve NATO shooters.

What differentiates the BCG's in the first tier at a $60 - $70 price point (vs the Anderson)
i think the very first AR i had and sold long ago was a cheap(est?) anderson, and it did shoot just fine... i do not propose to jump on it, of course, nor would buy it myself now :) - but - it will work.

That video itself is skinflint trash. That dude way over complicates things. The only thing wrong with that bolt was the roll pin wasn't all the way in. I don't care who is selling what bolt, one gets buy every now and then. Every upgrade he did is based off him being the world's only BCG innovation engineer.

Toolcraft and AO supply a bunch of companies with their bcg. After that, these companies do their "enhancements" and angle cuts, along with their hippie coatings. All rubbish I don't need. I need a gold coated, tri angular, enhanced bcg like I need another ex wife.

Andrew isn't allowed to put a little laughing emoji up either. He can take his bear creek stuff and beat it. ;)
That dude in that video is the highest skilled and knowledgeable AR gunsmith alive. He trains and certifies factory employees, government agency armorers and military. On top of that, he designs and produces their guauges and tools along with another master armorer. I know this as I am a former military combat arms instructor / armorer and a current fed agency advanced armorer/rangemaster/instructor who is tied into the firearms industry.

That dude in that video is the highest skilled and knowledgeable AR gunsmith alive. He trains and certifies factory employees, government agency armorers and military. On top of that, he designs and produces their guauges and tools along with another master armorer. I know this as I am a former military combat arms instructor / armorer and a current fed agency advanced armorer/rangemaster/instructor who is tied into the firearms industry.
Right but is he “over complicating”
Things.
Mil spec is not always the “the best” it just meets the minimum requirements for the spec.
Just look at how many designs have been phooked up by government.
M16 is one.

Welcome to NES--the next best thing to being raised by an angry alcoholic.

Care to weigh in with your troubleshooting hunches in this thread?:

Rifle cycles. Symptom is failure to lock on empty mag with one specific lower. Apparently not overgassed. Bolt catch and spring has been inspected.

Back
Top Bottom