• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

$71 Toolcraft (158/MPI) or $61 AO Precision (9130/HPT/MPI)?

I get it. Toolcraft bangs out different levels of stuff for various contracts. DD buys some, probably cleans up some machine marks further, sends it out for a nicer coating and so on. Then they charge their $200 for enhancements. These $60 jobs probably just meet spec to a certain degree. I'm fine with that. I highly doubt all the colt garbage I had in my youth was top notch.

I just like a good base level bcg. So when my poor man mk18 breaks off the ejector and extractor, I can do my own mods. I haven't found an out of the box bcg that holds up to that rifle yet.

Actually that sort of brings up a good point.... "for what these dont cost, if you slummin, just always buy two at a time" Gives you spare parts at a minimum. Nobody ever complained about having an extra BCG.

Geissele should just stay with triggers, they got those right. Everything else, meh.

I don't know, name brand bcg isn't flinting. Remember, this is a sale we were talking about. Same bcg somewhere else for 100-150, on sale for around 60. That's just a good deal. Being "thrifty" isn't the same as being a flint.

True skinflinting is buying no name garbage from places like bear creek and radical. What are those guys saving over toolcraft or AO? $5? Not worth it, but they buy it. Who knows where or what that rubbish is.

Now, the $100 I saved, I rolled into a box of Haut 10s. So, that's a win-win as far as I am concerned.

Given that info, that makes WAY more sense, then. That's what i get for not knowing the ground score. [rofl]

Mall ninja's gonna mall ninja....

My toolcraft worked great in this mornings 10 degree weather.

Someone whose opinion I trust mentioned Young Manfacturing bolts as a quality bolt manufacturer....
Mall ninja's gonna mall ninja....

My toolcraft worked great in this mornings 10 degree weather.

Someone whose opinion I trust mentioned Young Manfacturing bolts as a quality bolt manufacturer....
Just an FYI Young’s does not stake their BCGs.

Interesting. They do talk about how they seal the carrier / gas keys and threads with Permanex 27010. Looks like it's red locitite in a gel form. Wonder if other vendors do that....

Then they go onto say that 'should you want to stake the key, get the proper tools from Brownells' but say that staking their BCG voids the warranty.

Interesting. They do talk about how they seal the carrier / gas keys and threads with Permanex 27010. Looks like it's red locitite in a gel form. Wonder if other vendors do that....

Then they go onto say that 'should you want to stake the key, get the proper tools from Brownells' but say that staking their BCG voids the warranty.

The claims of damaging the screws from staking are rich, too. 🤣 Yeah, maybe if someone used an SDS demolition chisel on it….

How hot do gas keys get under sustained shooting?

27010 comes apart at 450F, and is rated up to 300F. I’d rather a stake job, plus is easier to visually verify vs trusting they applied loctite correctly. Plenty of end users don’t know how to stake though, and loctite is generally easier.

dunno WTF it is supposed to mean - but:

View attachment 573909

It means exactly what it says. Whoever punched in the numbers in the automated pricing spreadsheet inserted cost> -10% instead of cost> +10%.

They were apparently selling them for $6 under cost. I have no problem believing that. HPT/MPI bolts haven't been available that cheap since the Remington bankruptcy (at least I haven't seen them that cheap)--which is why I posted the deal.

Check the links--they raised prices $30 across the board on all those bolts.

Good on them for honoring the prices.

It means exactly what it says. Whoever punched in the numbers in the automated pricing spreadsheet inserted cost> -10% instead of cost> +10%.

They were apparently selling them for $6 under cost. I have no problem believing that. HPT/MPI bolts haven't been available that cheap since the Remington bankruptcy (at least I haven't seen them that cheap)--which is why I posted the deal.

Check the links--they raised prices $30 across the board on all those bolts.

Good on them for honoring the prices.
Thanks for posting the sale!

Last edited:
The staking on that one AO is done well. The finish is great, I love me a good phosphate finish.

Now I just have to figure out what that mystery bcg is...
What do you mean mystery? Did you not order it or was it listed as mystery or like some of the parts in the back of my safe that I come across, can't remember what brand it is and when you acquired it.

I wouldn’t run any of those BCG personally.
But when people start talking about wear after 4-5000rds I have to wonder if they spend More time jerking off on the Internet or shooting. Obviously whacking it on the Internet is far cheaper than actually doing something.. But come on a $60 bolt control group?… What is that were 30 rounds of ammo? I’ll go buy something nice and then buy some really shitty ammo.

Usually Bolt control groups fail nearly immediately or it lasts basically forever for most users.

Check your wrist pin for wear… That’s a sure fire way to Snap a bolt… Best to replace it every 30 to 40,000 rounds if it looks even a little off

Last edited:
I wouldn’t run any of those BCG personally.
But when people start talking about wear after 4-5000rds I have to wonder if they spend More time jerking off on the Internet or shooting. Obviously whacking it on the Internet is far cheaper than actually doing something.. But come on a $60 bolt control group?… What is that were 30 rounds of ammo? I’ll go buy something nice and then buy some really shitty ammo.

Usually Bolt control groups fail nearly immediately or it lasts basically forever for most users.
Did you not read any of this thread? They sell anywhere from $100-$150 but were mistakenly marked down to $60. And it’s a bolt carrier group not a bolt control group.

Did you not read any of this thread? They sell anywhere from $100-$150 but were mistakenly marked down to $60. And it’s a bolt carrier group not a bolt control group.
Read the original post a couple follow ups. But clearly I missed something. What can I say I’m skeptical about a $60 BCG.

Must be getting old.. I’m so far off on what things cost these days.. Possibly I own too many rifles and parts….

I reread the links in original prices and basically I guess I just don’t know what I’m talking about anymore

lol… I was definitely pretty far off.

These days when something breaks I just throw it in the corner and take a new one out of the box.

I definitely missed why they were “cheap”

Back
Top Bottom