.223 Dies

Patriot

NES Member
I'm interested in getting some .223 dies for my Dillon 550B. The Dillon dies are out of sight
for cost so I'm interested in what other reloaders are using and what their experiences are
with their .223 dies.

Thanks

From what I understand, you don't have a choice. Dillon presses require Dillon dies [sad] DISREGARD !!!!!

Looks like the 550B accepts standard 7/8 " dies. From their website.

"The 550B has interchangeable tool heads that hold the dies in adjustment when changing calibers. These tool heads take standard 7/8 inch loading dies, and changing tool heads takes about ten seconds, if you're slow."

I use Lee dies for both AR and Savage .223.

regards....roger

Last edited:
From what I understand, you don't have a choice. Dillon presses require Dillon dies [sad]

But this is true for the Dillon Square Deal - which is also limited to pistol calibers.

I've just order .223 dies for use in a 550B. I also went with the RCBS X-Size (due in part to Eddi Coyle's good words) and a Lee Factory Crimp die. I won't be able to try them out for a while though.

I'm interested in getting some .223 dies for my Dillon 550B. The Dillon dies are out of sight
for cost so I'm interested in what other reloaders are using and what their experiences are
with their .223 dies.

Thanks

Hey TBP,

I have a set of Lee dies you can have for free. I am in the process of switching all my rifle dies to Redding so I don't need them anymore and I have the FCD die as well. PM me and I'll hook you up..

I'm using the RCBS small base X-Dies. I like them because you only have to trim the cases once.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this bit of knowledge? Jim, can you explain to me
what you mean by only trimming the cases once? Do .223 cases need to be trimmed more
than once per reloading cycle with some dies? I trim (or check) my 30-06 brass during the
reloading cycle but I have never trimmed brass more than once during reloading. Or, am I so
far out in left field that nobody knows what I am talking about? [smile]

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this bit of knowledge? Jim, can you explain to me
what you mean by only trimming the cases once? Do .223 cases need to be trimmed more
than once per reloading cycle with some dies? I trim (or check) my 30-06 brass during the
reloading cycle but I have never trimmed brass more than once during reloading. Or, am I so
far out in left field that nobody knows what I am talking about? [smile]

I bought the X-dies for .223 by EddieCoyle's recommendations. Apparently, you only need to trim your brass once -- initially -- and then as long as you set the die up the correctly, then you no longer have to trim the brass after each firing for the life of the brass.

I've just begun loading .223, so I haven't had a chance yet to see if this feature actually works. But, at least in theory, as long as you segregate brass that's been processed through this die initially, you can go from tumbler to press without the resizing/trimming step.

Did you get the full length carbide sizing die and the conversion kit as well? Total cost must
be up around $190 shipped, no?

It was like 160 I believe - I had gift certificates with KTP so I ordered through them and having them shipped direct from factory as they were out.

I bought the X-dies for .223 by EddieCoyle's recommendations. Apparently, you only need to trim your brass once -- initially -- and then as long as you set the die up the correctly, then you no longer have to trim the brass after each firing for the life of the brass.

I've just begun loading .223, so I haven't had a chance yet to see if this feature actually works. But, at least in theory, as long as you segregate brass that's been processed through this die initially, you can go from tumbler to press without the resizing/trimming step.
could thier web site suck more? https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,D...=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C09J049&route=C09

no product descriptions!!

I have used Dillon and Lee 223 resizing dies and found no difference in performance. The 233 brass needs to be resized after the first firing only. I have no idea why the brass doesn't lengthen with continued use.

Just received my .223 Dillon Dies in the mail yesterday --- WOOHOOO!!

Going to do some more research on the correct loads and then do the old trip to my local supplier for some goodies to pump some out.

Now if the dam weather could break for a day and I can actually get in some range time that would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom