.223 bullets & powder

Surplus M 193 and M 855 ball projectiles and Barnaul 62 grainers under AA 2230, 2520 and Re 7, respectively.

When I got my AR deal of the century, it came with more than 400 rounds of handloaded match ammo. Since this guy was a regular High Power winner and did well at Camp Perry, I'd say he knew his stuff.

His formula is as follows:

Sierra 69 grain HPBT Match
24 grains IMR 4895
CCI primers

I don't know if it really matters, but all of his loads are in Lake City brass.

I've shot less than 100 rounds of it, but from a bench rest, it will make just a jagged hole at 100 yards out of my rifle which is a 20" 1:7 Colt H-bar.

I'm waiting until I can shoot up to its potential before I use any more.

Milspec 62gr SS109(both new and pulled, but mostly new) and pulled down WC-844 ball powder. For all the reasons you listed.

.223 bullets and powder

I use w748 because it works well and I also use it to load .308,.30/06 and 7.7 Japanese. In my ar15 I use Hornady 55 gr.fmj because this rifle likes them better than winchester or remington and fmj are easier to buy in bulk.In my m16 I use 55 or 62 gr. fmj surplus and buy what ever is cheaper because on full auto I can't see a difference. One note on w748. The books say to use a magnum primer but I get better accuracy in .223 and .30/06 with standard primers and better accuracy in .308 and 7.7 Japanese with magnum primers.Try both.Good luck.

I just ordered up a couple hundred Winchester 55 grain FMJBT I see a few different powders listed - Just looking for newbie recommendation as to a good powder - i was thinking of going with the Hodgdon H335 ala Eddie Coyle's post.

Presently I'm using H335. It meters perfectly through my 550B. Was using Winchester bulk bullets 55gr. FMJ but found they are very inconsistant. The Hornady bulk FMJ 55 gr. are miles better and have been getting supurb accuracy with them and LC brass.

Interesting when I look at the Winchester 748 loading for the 55gn or 69 gn FMJ bullet, the
Winchester site gives me only the max powder metric, not any other. Lee's 2nd Edition doesn't
give me any min either. The Lyman does give me a min and a higher max than Winchester
does. What powder charge do you guys using W748 use in your loads with 55gn bullets?

TIA

Interesting when I look at the Winchester 748 loading for the 55gn or 69 gn FMJ bullet, the
Winchester site gives me only the max powder metric, not any other. Lee's 2nd Edition doesn't
give me any min either. The Lyman does give me a min and a higher max than Winchester
does. What powder charge do you guys using W748 use in your loads with 55gn bullets?

TIA

I shot 5 different charge weights today with 55gn bullets. The 26 was the winner in my 16" AR.

Back
Top Bottom