.22 Rifle...Ruger 10-22 vs. others....what to buy?

I recently got a nice 10/22 from a fellow NESer and I could not be happier. I have the extended mag release, auto bolt release, tech sights, and front barrel band removed. It is so much fun that it always comes to the range with me.

I have a 1022 and love it, however....I've always lusted after a CZ452, and am currently looking into .22 AR uppers.

The 1022, though, is pretty good out of the box. With a little home gunsmithing, a Meuller APV, and potentially (although mine didnt need it), a new barrel, you can have something that will reach out and touch what you want it to out to 200 yards.

CZ 452

But then I have a preference for quality bolt action rifles over cheap tin can plinkers.

Bill, pass on both and get a Marlin 39A. Now THAT is a plinker.........

zoom_39A.jpg

I have a 1022 and love it, however....I've always lusted after a CZ452, and am currently looking into .22 AR uppers.

The 1022, though, is pretty good out of the box. With a little home gunsmithing, a Meuller APV, and potentially (although mine didnt need it), a new barrel, you can have something that will reach out and touch what you want it to out to 200 yards.

A lot of good info...but for the most part not cheap .22. I for one LOVE .22s. I have the 452 Ultra Lux, Marlin Golden 39A, M&P 15-22, a dedicated .22 upper, 4 -10/22s, and the list can go on.

I still have my Winchester Model 190 which I love for plinking. It's not super accurate, but it's a ton of fun to shoot. I'm sure that a lot of that is because I've had it since I was 6, and it's been dropped a lot, shot a lot, and not treated very well while I was growing up. But, saying that I can still take it to the range and I don't have a lot of problems with it.

Yes, as I have four, I LOVE the 10/22. I have one that I built, that will rivel my 452 any day...but that took a lot of work. Simple Bolt Actions like my old Sears .22 are great and if you can find one I would grab it, should come in around 50-60 bucks.

If you look around pretty through, you can find good single shot bolt action .22s for WAY under 100 bucks. There's a lot of good .22s out there.

I've had a Remington 581 (?) left-handed bolt action .22 for over 30 years and it has been great.

Did finally take the plunge last weekend for a S&W M&P 15-22, so I would have a semi-auto .22 rifle. Used it in a little steel plate shoot. What a fun little rifle! Not exactly the AR operating system, but similar (sorta kinda) and certainly styled like one and the controls are all about the same as an AR.

I could have bought a 10-22, but they seem kind of plain vanilla to me, and I have had plain vanilla for so long that I wanted something more interesting. Sure, you can modify and accessorize a 10-22 to any extent you like (which will add $$$), but, for me, I wanted something more interesting right out of the box.

To each, his own, of course.

I have a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22. Both great guns. For shear fun factor the M&P 15-22 can't be beat, and since I purchased it the 10/22 doesn't get as much attention now. Not that I would sell it, it's still a great gun (accurate, good quality) and something I'd let my kids shoot when they are older.

IMO if you were torn between the two I'd go for the 15-22 .. accurate and LOTS of fun.

The 795 is $100 after the $25 rebate at Dicks. Well worth the $100. You can spend the difference between this on 10/22 on a decent scope and maybe a bidpod and or sling.

I picked up a Marlin 795 at Dick's today thanks to this thread. Great advice here as I have been looking for the cheapest option to shoot a .22 rifle.

Dick's sells the Marlin 795 for $125, and Marlin is offering a $25 rebate through 12/31 as Maxpower said. There is also a $10 off coupon (see link below), so you can walk away with this rifle for $90!!

http://gracefullysaving.com/2010/02/dicks-sporting-goods-10-off-25-00/

I picked up a Marlin 795 at Dick's today thanks to this thread. Great advice here as I have been looking for the cheapest option to shoot a .22 rifle.

Dick's sells the Marlin 795 for $125, and Marlin is offering a $25 rebate through 12/31 as Maxpower said. There is also a $10 off coupon (see link below), so you can walk away with this rifle for $90!!

http://gracefullysaving.com/2010/02/dicks-sporting-goods-10-off-25-00/

FYI, per the fine print on that coupon, it is not applicable to firearms or ammunition. [sad2]

I just picked up a 10/22 about a week ago. I picked up a basic scope and really enjoy taking it to the range. I do plan making some of the basic mods: bolt release & extended mag release, to start.

I picked up the 10/22 for two reasons, I wanted a cheap .22 to take to the range that would cost me very little in ammo. The 2nd reason is that I will use the 10/22 as my first introduction to modifications. There are so many parts out there and any number of combinations I can use. I know its not the same as smithing a 1911 or building up a AR, but its something easy to get me comfortable.

I just picked up a 10/22 about a week ago. I picked up a basic scope and really enjoy taking it to the range. I do plan making some of the basic mods: bolt release & extended mag release, to start.

I picked up the 10/22 for two reasons, I wanted a cheap .22 to take to the range that would cost me very little in ammo. The 2nd reason is that I will use the 10/22 as my first introduction to modifications. There are so many parts out there and any number of combinations I can use. I know its not the same as smithing a 1911 or building up a AR, but its something easy to get me comfortable.

You're only about 3 weeks behind me. That same night I brought it home I had it apart and was grinding down the hammer-sear interface. A $10 spring kit helps alot with the trigger too.

Marley here cost me under $200. $110 or so for the rifle, $40 for the bipod, $15 for the sling and$ 20 for the scope. Scope is kinda crappy, it shall be replaced someday.

IMG_4322.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom