.22 rifle recommendations

je25ff

NES Member
Just looking for something reliable and decently made. Does anyone have a rifle that they would recommend?

no doubt, Ruger 10/22. Very reliable and got tons of upgrades available. You can easily throw 1000's into a pimp up 10/22.

If you like to keep AR style, get a upper .22lr and swap your AR upper. It's a bit $$ compare to conversion kit, but well worth the extras. A S&W M&P 15-22 is also rank pretty high from NES users.

Last edited:
no doubt, Ruger 10/22. Very reliable and got tons of upgrades available. You can easily throw 1000's into a pimp up 10/22.

Just checked out their website and I can get one for $300 or so. Not bad. Not sure if Ruger is taking orders now though.

Personally, I think a good bolt-action .22 should be in everybody's hands.
CZ452 or 455
Ruger 77/22
old Mossbergs
etc.

Just checked out their website and I can get one for $300 or so. Not bad. Not sure if Ruger is taking orders now though.

Which model are you looking for? Most local GS should have a 10/22 in stock. The basic model start @ $199.

Start with basic and mod gradually.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

As far as .22 rifles go there are two that stand out in my mind.....

The Ruger 10/22 is the swiss army knife of semi auto .22 rifles... you can use it stock with iron sights and it is great. You can add any scope you want to improve your distance shooting as well as a ton of aftermarket parts from stocks to triggers to extractors to barrels and more.... you can find them used from high $100's if you scour the used market.
I have seen $1000 10/22's that were no joke dead on putting full magazines in a dime size hole at over 150 yards.

The Marlin 60 is my other choice. I have one and absolutely love it. It is tube fed so reloading can take more time but it does hold 15 rounds instead of 10 like the ruger. There are not too many add ons for the marlin though.

Ruger is great and was my first rifle! If you're looking for a fun plinker the smith and wesson M&P 15/22 or the Sig 522 are great tactical trainers! They also familiarize you with the big brother platform which is an added bonus.

If I didn't own a .22, I would get a 10/22.

However, I am starting to get more and more interested in bolt guns, and I think a good bolt .22 like Pat said might be in my future.

i love my glen field model 25.....aint the best but it shoots great for me.
I also have a lot of luck with the marlin model 60s I own...all are pre 1975 models.
Rugers are tough to beat for the money and aftermarket add ons. I have had 2 both where jammers and so so accurate.

to date the most accurate 22 I have is my tacticalSolutions AR upper scoped....its just stupid fun. Easily pick off those orange range rats @ 100 yard berm.

I also have a older remington 552 speedmaster semi auto----the best thing about it. It cycles shorts,longs and LR with easy
the sights are small and tough on my eyes so I dont shoot it as much. Some day I will scope it. its a great gun

Last edited:
Which model are you looking for? Most local GS should have a 10/22 in stock. The basic model start @ $199.

Start with basic and mod gradually.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

I would have to take a look, but I think Blue Northern in Ayer has a Ruger semi-auto for sale. I think I'd go for a semi-auto for now. For $200 bucks I can always add a bolt action later if I wanted to.

I'll throw lever action .22s into the mix. Accurate and fun. Classic Winchester, Henry, or Marlin.

This

I'm a Lever Lover myself.
IMHO, the Henry is the best value of the current production .22 Lever rifles out there right now.
The action is unbelievably smooth right out of the box.
With an MSRP of $325 they're tough to beat.

Winchester no longer makes the 9422, and used ones are going for stupid money.
The Winchester Model 250 has been out of production for decades and nearly impossible to find.
Browning (my personal favorite) is again making the BL-22, but the MSRP is $619 for their least expensive Grade 1.
Marlin is currently making the model 39A, which at 24", has the longest barrel and magazine tube capacity of any on the market today.
I don't know their current prices, but rumors abound that their quality has been in decline since the closing of the CT factory.

Ruger 10/22. Four Seasons has them for $199. and for 49$ more they mount a 4X32 scope and throw in an awesome Ruger carrying case. I got one for my birthday 2 months ago and it is so accurate. Everyone i bring to the range with it can't put it down. They'd rather shoot that than my G17 or .223 haha

Like most answers to these types of questions, the bottom line is: get all three - bolt-action, lever-action, and semi-auto .22lr rifles!

My CZ 452 is tremendously accurate (1/2" groups at 50 yds are pretty much a given), well-built, and with a quality look and feel. I would start there, but the other suggestions are equally valid.

My only problem with .22lr rifles? The guns I bought to save on ammo costs are now costing a mint because I like to shoot them all the time, AND I buy the expensive target ammo so I can get the groups I want.

Oh, well...

i love my marlin 795
I have a Marlin 795 as well. Not as many mods available compared to the 10/22, but it's very capable and accurate. It's essentially a magazine fed Marlin Model 60.

It's also cheaper. I picked mine up from Dick's Sporting Goods for $125 with a $25 rebate a few years ago.

CZ-452 is amazing.

If you buy a Ruger 10-22 you'll be upgrading and fine tuning and spending to get it to the place you want it. Spend more upfront if possible and buy this one. It'll blow you away. The only upgrade I suggest is a $15 trigger upgrade kit. That's it. And the kit works.

Yeah, amazing what that kit and a 1/2 pound trigger can do for accuracy!

Couldn't agree more. Trigger went from a decent, albeit tiny bit gritty, .22 rifle trigger to a crisp target trigger.

I'm not the most handy guy when it comes to stuff like this and I was able to do the upgrade myself.

I have a 70's vintage Remington 582, bolt action .22. Got it used for a song and love it. Older rifles can still shoot too!

Ruger 10/22. Four Seasons has them for $199. and for 49$ more they mount a 4X32 scope and throw in an awesome Ruger carrying case. I got one for my birthday 2 months ago and it is so accurate. Everyone i bring to the range with it can't put it down. They'd rather shoot that than my G17 or .223 haha

This

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom