.22 rifle magazine capacity question...

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

does this mean that if i have a .22lr rifle, then i can have a magazine larger than 10 rounds???

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

does this mean that if i have a .22lr rifle, then i can have a magazine larger than 10 rounds???

Yes, if the magazine is attached permanently, like a Marlin 60 or Browning lever action .22. Mine holds about 15 22LR, and about 20 22 short, for example.

In theory I suppose you could have a three foot long tube fed magazine.

So... If I were to form a tube into a spiral magazine with a looooong spring, as long as it is perminently attached to the rifle. The law doesn't say the rounds have to line up axially, or that the tube needs to be round in cross section.

That's not a tube. A tube is, by definition, straight, or at least not a spiral.

#2, I'd love to see the follower you make for that.

#3, Why the hell would you want to do that when you already have plenty of tubular mag .22s available?

#4 That would be an extremely fragile, unreliable device.

#5 Are you that desperate to get around the laws just to have a large capacity .22? It'd cost you maybe 5% of the cost of making that to find a preban 10/22 magazine that holds 50 or so rounds.

Last edited:
i have an ltc a, so if i can find a mag made prior to september of 1994 i should be good, right?
Right.
so....does anyone have a mag greater than 10 rounds for a remington 597? [grin]
Nope. Got two pre-ban thirty round Eagles for a 10/22 that I'm still debating selling, but nothing for the 597.

The 597 wasn't made before 1994, therefore, no preban hicaps. I think they started making it in around 97-98.

Did you think I was serious? I am just pointing out how rediculous our laws are when a feeding device calls into question the legality of a gun I had several of when I was a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom