.22 Pistol Recommendations

My uncle is thinking about picking up a .22 pistol for plinking. He asked me for some advice, but I don't know much about them other than what I've randomly picked up around here.

He isn't too picky. Revolver, semi-auto, any maker, etc... He just wants something fairly cheap ($450 or less) and somewhat reliable. Meaning he doesn't have to clean it after every single range trip.

Can anyone recommend something along those lines so I have a starting point for my research?

Thanks!

Ruger MKIII or 22/45. [/thread]

That would be my recommendation as well. People will say that they are impossible to take apart AND put back together. They are trickier than other pistols but not impossible once you've done it a few times. There are lots of aftermarket parts available from Volquartsen.

Another option would be a S&W 22A. I've never shot one but I know others who have and they are economical guns that are easier to take apart.

People will say that they are impossible to take apart AND put back together. They are trickier than other pistols but not impossible once you've done it a few times.

I had MAJOR problems taking apart and putting my 22/45 back together... Major enough that I gave up and took it to Four Seasons for them to do it. Best $30 I ever spent! [laugh]

Edit: I'm also fairly inexperienced with guns so that could also be a major factor.

This is the best 22 pistol I've ever owned. Very accurate and reliable. I like the Ruger MkIII pistols, This is the third one I've owned the first of this model. All of them were great but this one is a keeper.

DSC_2639-2.JPG

Everyone has trouble putting it back together the first few times. $30 to put it back together,what did you take apart exactly? Most people just bring it to the range and find someone to show them how to do it!

Ruger MKIII or 22/45. [/thread]

FTW. My Mark III was a tackdriver; I just hated the takedown procedure (which is why I sold it and bought a Mark II). But Mark IIs are becoming in short supply as people buy them all up!

Anyway, I just saw that Callaghan's in Marlborough has a new target model Mark III/45 for $299 in the counter. Great price for it.

either the ruger mk II or III or the smith 22 22/A. the smith is a great plinker and its good for some serious shooting also.

No surpise with this...but any reason to pick one vs. the other? Love that Luger look on the MkIII.

I would guess that a trigger job is advisable, too?

The 22/45 has a polymer (thus, lighter) grip frame, with the grip angle and controls more like a 1911. The MkIII is more luger-ish. I went with the MkIII, not the 22/45, personal preference.

My trigger is fine for plinking. I wouldn't worry about a trigger job, unless he starts shooting bullseye and the trigger is holding him back. It's got a long uptake, but it's good enough.

I would say the Ruger MK II or the MK III also, or the Ruger 22/45. The 22/45 even has two now that you can change the grip panels http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Hunter/models.html / http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIII/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

I have Ruger MK II the MK III and a 22/45 and they all work great.

I'm going to buy this gun one day:

http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

I had a S&W 22A and that was a good gun also.

You won't go wrong with any of those.

Last edited:
I've been doing some research and these two and have read the 22a could have jamming problems with certain bullets. But I love the look of it!

I've been doing some research and these two and have read the 22a could have jamming problems with certain bullets. But I love the look of it!

The 22A I had blew up. I had bought it used from Tombstone at the Big E Gun Show. I had only put something like 25 rounds through it when the whole back of the gun broke off of the frame when I shot it.

I called Tombstone and they said to just bring it back and they would give me my money back, I ended up buying my Ruger 22/45 from them because they were so good about it and I have been back since to buy other things.

http://tombstonetrading.com/

I have heard that the newer S&W 22A's are better now, mine was a older (not to old though) one.

Get a Ruger (whichever model feels right in your hand). Have someone show you how to take it apart (don't worry when they pull out a piece of 2x4, it is needed sometimes). Get a VQ extractor, and you'll be fine with most types of ammo. Yeah even the cheap Wally-World bulk packs.

Thanks for all the replies. My uncle is a Vietnam Combat Vet in his early/mid 60's. My only concern is the take down of the Ruger. I've watched a few vids on YouTube and it while it doesn't seem overly complicated he might have an issue with it. It is a lot more involved than most semi-autos and he has a slight tremble in his hands. Nothing major but probably enough to make manipulating small objects and some fine motor skills challenging. It might be a little much for him. He has shied away from semi-autos because he is worried about the take down and cleaning aspect compared to revolvers. I'm a little worried he is going to take that thing apart and have a fit putting it back together. How many rounds could you fire before you had to take it down and clean it?

I'll email him some of the videos so he'll know what he is getting into.

The Smith seems a little easier and might be a better option for him.

S&W 617
S&W 17, 18, K22

If a simple .22 is what he wants... it don't get much simpler than that.

How many rounds could you fire before you had to take it down and clean it?
I shot a stainless MKll in league competition for years and only thoroughly cleaned it at the start of each season. Keep the bolt face and breech face clean with a tooth brush through the ejection port and oil it a little.

If he has ANY artheritis in his hands the Rugers are a pita to activate the slide. Have Unk try one first.

He lives pretty close to Tombstone Trading so we'll have to take a drive down and check out the Ruger and S&W and see which he likes more.

If he has ANY arthritis in his hands the Rugers are a pita to activate the slide. Have Unk try one first.

He doesn't have arthritis or Parkinson's or anything. Just a slight trembling in both hands but it might be enough for the Ruger or even Smith to give him some trouble.

I think he would love a Smith and Wesson 617 but I don't think he'd want to spend the money. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a good used one the next couple of weeks. In the end it might be his only option.

I had MAJOR problems taking apart and putting my 22/45 back together... Major enough that I gave up and took it to Four Seasons for them to do it. Best $30 I ever spent! [laugh]

Edit: I'm also fairly inexperienced with guns so that could also be a major factor.

That seems to be common there. Last time I went, there was a guy with a Mk II or III; well rather the parts thereof; all wrapped up in a towel. I put it back together for him while my NICS was being done.[laugh]

I own 2 MK IIs and haven't had any problems getting them apart. This is my opinion,the mag disconnect seems to be what causes the reassembly problem with the MK IIIs and if I read correctly it can be removed. I love my MK II and just put a red dot on one,my second choice is the S&W 617. I have a 6" prelock 6 shot and in my better days could pick off 12 Ga shotgun hulls at 25 yds with a rest of course. If you go with the MK II/III go to shopruger.com and get some of their mag loaders you'll be glad you did.

If he has ANY artheritis in his hands the Rugers are a pita to activate the slide. Have Unk try one first.

If you use the slide stop as a slide release on a mkIII you'll wear it out in a short time. I know someone who killed his with one or two bulk packs. It would no longer lock back after the laat round.

If you use the slide stop as a slide release on a mkIII you'll wear it out in a short time. I know someone who killed his with one or two bulk packs. It would no longer lock back after the laat round.

I use mine as a release, shoot it a lot (I'm on a bullseye team), and I haven't had any issues like this. Now watch...it's going to act up during this weeks match :)

I use mine as a release, shoot it a lot (I'm on a bullseye team), and I haven't had any issues like this. Now watch...it's going to act up during this weeks match :)

Ok good! I use mine as a release too and I'm almost through my first bulk pack. I got scared after reading eisenhow's comment. [hmmm]

Ok good! I use mine as a release too and I'm almost through my first bulk pack. I got scared after reading eisenhow's comment. [hmmm]

Next time you have it apart take a look at the back edge of the bolt stop. It's not made of the highest quality metal. If the corner gets rounded off it may stop locking back.

m3innomen.JPG

For more pictures of detail strip take a look at guntalk-online.com

Check out the ruger single six, I have an older model that I shoot every week.Fun,accurate,and easy to shoot.(and take down,being a s.a. revolver)
More than happy to let him shoot it if you guys are ever in the marlboro area.(we shoot multi-cal at spinner steel weds. nights)

Back
Top Bottom