.22 bolt-action rifle for my kids

My kids (16, 12 and 10) have expressed an interest in Junior Rifle league competition. My club provides rifles and ammo, but I was told that if I wanted to supply my own rifle that it should be a .22 bolt-action rifle in the 6-pound range with peep sights front and rear. I may try to pick up something at the Marlboro show.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have on what to get and at what price level I'd get a good deal.

TIA.

Right now the CZ 452 (I believe) is about the best out of the box .22 rifle for the money. Sights would need to be purchased seperately.

If you could find any, Remington 40X, or 541T is also awesome.

For the younger kids, a Mini-Bolt .22 is a great choice. Two and a half pounds of fury, complete with fiber optic sights. Single shot, with a Cricket-style action.

He implied this was for competition and not just plinking fun.

Another thought, CMP still has some of the H&R .22 rifles that could be rebarreled for accuarcy and weight.

Don;t know if you'd call it a plinker but I got my 12 year old granddaughter a Henry lever gun. Really nice, accurate, well made gun. it's not what you'd call match grade but it's not $600 either...closer to $250...

ooops never mind, I see you need a bolt action.

Anschutz model 1451STR Junior Target Repeater bolt action rifle with two stage trigger and aluminum rail, sells for $435 from Champion's Choice.
For another $60 you can get a handstop and palmrest for it.

Other than that I'll second the suggestion by Tony for a CZ 452.

Anschutz_1451.JPG

The above is a similar, but not the exact same version of the described Anschutz 1451.

Last edited:
Anschutz model 1451STR Junior Target Repeater bolt action rifle with two stage trigger and aluminum rail, sells for $435 from Champion's Choice.
For another $60 you can get a handstop and palmrest for it.

Other than that I'll second the suggestion by Tony for a CZ 452.

Anschutz_1451.JPG

The above is a similar, but not the exact same version of the described Anschutz 1451.

We have a potential winner here, but I have to ask: why the 6 lb limit?

That weight limit basically eliminates every single youth target rifle known to man and forces you to stick with sporters ill-suited to the purpose.

A junior match rifle will weigh 7 to 8 lbs all up, and that is NOT an excessive weight for kids. To begin with, the rifle is not supposed to be held by the arm muscles, but by the bone structure and the sling. Even in offhand, where slings are not used, a correct standing position relies of very little muscle effort in the upper body to keep the rifle on target.

Sometimes the people running these shows demostrate a poor understanding of what they are doing. God bless them for trying, but a 6 lb limit on rifle weight is nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom