.22 ammo questions

Why can't they do the bulk packs on decent .22 LR ammo, instead of the crap with crooked or loose bullets, or the smoky, coal-fired powder, or the waxy barrel-clogging coatings, or the weak and inconsistent charges, or the missing primer chemicals?

I would pay decent money for a 1,000 pack of Velocitor.

Because 75% of people shooting .22LR are skinflints and are only shooting it because it's cheap.

When it was more readily available, CCI Standard velocity came in 500 round bricks. (with 10, individual 50 round boxes inside each brick) I used to buy them at FS all the time.

CCI also has some kind of like 300 round brick of HV .22 ammo that's oriented towards rifles like the M&P .22, etc... although the ammo probably works fine in pistols, too.

I really wish they would have made 500 round bricks of mini mags.

-Mike

Watch the members forum. Have found typically when one Walmart or Dicks get .22lr, others nearby tend to get some also. It also pays to ask just in case it hasn't made it to the floor (wink, wink.) Getting there before it's gone is a different story.

To have any hope of getting .22 LR from Walmart you need to show up when the store opens, or if you get lucky, when it gets put out. A few crappy gun shops are pretty much systematically raping their local wal marts (one wal mart clerk told me "they send over 3-4 different people every day") and then taking the same ammo and selling it for twice whatever the current walmart price is.

-Mike

what is the issue with production? im not sure i really understand why something that was in high demand a year ago and is in all time high demand today seems to be declining in production volume. in 2014 why cant a pretty large and successful company scale to meet demand? this isnt a complex electonic device, its a simple unit with perhaps 4-5 components. what gives?

with all the enthusiast media out there, why hasnt anyone sought an official opinion from the likes of a CCI on this? it would seem someone like CCI would be highly motivated in increase production to match demand, otherwise they are leaving cash flow on the table.

and yet i have not heard anything from the manufacturers side.

stunned.

i hear there's a group buy/feeler going on right now for 1,000,000+ rounds of .22 at the moment.

Yes because there is a secret ammo facility not working at 130% of capacity to fill its existing customers orders and is willing to bump us to the top of the list over walmart, bass pro, cabellas, gander mtn, the govt and all the other shooting supply retailers in the world to fill our $100,000 order in less than 2 years. Yea, thats the ticket....

As much as I would love to be wrong on this, anyone with half a functioning brain knows I am not.

signed

Negative Nancy.....

what is the issue with production? im not sure i really understand why something that was in high demand a year ago and is in all time high demand today seems to be declining in production volume. in 2014 why cant a pretty large and successful company scale to meet demand? this isnt a complex electonic device, its a simple unit with perhaps 4-5 components. what gives?

with all the enthusiast media out there, why hasnt anyone sought an official opinion from the likes of a CCI on this? it would seem someone like CCI would be highly motivated in increase production to match demand, otherwise they are leaving cash flow on the table.

stunned.

The govt (DHS) buying up 4 billion rounds and because of the ensuing shortages every shooter is snatching up everything else as fast as possible.

If the govt cant ban guns then they buy all the ammo and create a sortof defacto ban..

Yes because there is a secret ammo facility not working at 130% of capacity to fill its existing customers orders and is willing to bump us to the top of the list over walmart, bass pro, cabellas, gander mtn, the govt and all the other shooting supply retailers in the world to fill our $100,000 order in less than 2 years. Yea, thats the ticket....

As much as I would love to be wrong on this, anyone with half a functioning brain knows I am not.

signed

Negative Nancy.....

[rofl]

.22 rimfire priming and loading equipment is probably stupidly expensive to build. No manufacturer wants to add an entire line to deal with what is likely a temporary spike in demand, it doesn't make good business sense to build a stupidly expensive production line when in a year or two the whole line could be sitting idle. That's what we call "not a good investment". Now, if for some reason "the bubble never pops" in the next year or so, then they'll start thinking about adding production... because the machines might then actually start paying for themselves if they can produce more ammo than their competitor is producing, and they can justify it because they know they can easily recoup their huge capital investment.

-Mike

signed

Negative Nancy.....

You forgot one one big and very important part too... We want a ****ing discount! And we want the discount no with no chance of price increases[rofl]. I said in because it won't hurt and if someone manages to create a billion unicorn rounds why not.

.22 rimfire priming and loading equipment is probably stupidly expensive to build. No manufacturer wants to add an entire line to deal with what is likely a temporary spike in demand, it doesn't make good business sense to build a stupidly expensive production line when in a year or two the whole line could be sitting idle. That's what we call "not a good investment". Now, if for some reason "the bubble never pops" in the next year or so, then they'll start thinking about adding production... because the machines might then actually start paying for themselves if they can produce more ammo than their competitor is producing, and they can justify it because they know they can easily recoup their huge capital investment.

-Mike

The other thing too is it's not like you just call up xyz and order a machine and it gets delivered tomorrow. All of it 'a custom and I'm sure would take some serious time to make even using an identical set of plans based off the current line.

But it hey I got my 1650rds of federal yesterday so I'm happy.

what evidence do we have that this is a temporary spike in demand? haha.
im not sure what stupidly expensive is in dollars, and im not challenging your remarks either, but it seems demand outpaces supply right now by a factor of 5x maybe more conservatively speaking - there are likely tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of handguns and long guns sitting idle due to this dramatic shortage - is it true .22lr is the most popular caliber in the country? i know i have not shot any of my .22 equipment in over a year where i used to shoot 3-5000rns/year... i cant believe i am the only one.

id love to see a Q&A on this subject with CCI or a competitor, if only to validate some of these assumptions.. it just seems a massively missed opportunity, if CCI was the only one who could produce now, they could become the only game in town overnight based on loyalty alone. what brand wouldnt want that, loyal lifetime customers delivered on a silver platter, all you have to do is supply more of what you already do a great job making.

Yeah there's only a few components involved in assembly but you need to have those components made first. And the primers in rimfire ammo are very difficult to manufacture, it needs to be spun into the rim area of the case. I read there's only like 2 places that can make them. Then of course you need the powder to go into the case. So when they run out of either item for whatever reason, the simple assembly of the 4 or 5 components comes to a screeching halt. And you can't simply build a new ammo manufacturing plant overnight, the paperwork alone (federal/state/local) probably takes more than a year. Then there's construction, testing, raw materials acquisition, etc etc etc. and that's assuming that the rimfire priming method isn't some closely kept trade secret.

Stopped in Dick's in Hadley the young saleman said I think you will see more .22's in 2017.

I said why then? He said that's when Obama gets out of office.

No shit even in the most liberal areas they understand.

Stopped in Dick's in Hadley the young saleman said I think you will see more .22's in 2017.

I said why then? He said that's when Obama gets out of office.

That's just stupid. It has everything to do with panic buying caused by statements from NRA and others starting in 2007 telling everyone that 'Obama is going to come for your guns if he's elected'. That's when the insanity began, and then got worse after Newtown.

what evidence do we have that this is a temporary spike in demand? haha.
im not sure what stupidly expensive is in dollars, and im not challenging your remarks either, but it seems demand outpaces supply right now by a factor of 5x maybe more conservatively speaking - there are likely tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of handguns and long guns sitting idle due to this dramatic shortage - is it true .22lr is the most popular caliber in the country? i know i have not shot any of my .22 equipment in over a year where i used to shoot 3-5000rns/year... i cant believe i am the only one.

id love to see a Q&A on this subject with CCI or a competitor, if only to validate some of these assumptions.. it just seems a massively missed opportunity, if CCI was the only one who could produce now, they could become the only game in town overnight based on loyalty alone. what brand wouldnt want that, loyal lifetime customers delivered on a silver platter, all you have to do is supply more of what you already do a great job making.

Actually it was discussed quite a bit a while back. There were press releases and letters from the mfgs. Search around and I'm sure you can find them.

The govt (DHS) buying up 4 billion rounds and because of the ensuing shortages every shooter is snatching up everything else as fast as possible.

If the govt cant ban guns then they buy all the ammo and create a sortof defacto ban..

Say what?

is the govt actually buying non military rounds like .22 rimfire??

Really.

That's just stupid. It has everything to do with panic buying caused by statements from NRA and others starting in 2007 telling everyone that 'Obama is going to come for your guns if he's elected'. That's when the insanity began, and then got worse after Newtown.

I just posted on this. It seems there are two almost identical threads.

READ HERE (CLICK)

I'm getting really tired of not being able to find .22 ammo anywhere damn near a year and a half after the chicken littles went nuts.....

[pics]

Sent from my phone....which isn't really a phone anymore, it's a computer on my pocket

I def don't post photos of my ammo stash. Sorry.

Between a few Walmarts and Shooter's Outpost, I scored quite a bit. Some CCI minimags, Federal bulk packs, Blazer, etc.

I buy ammo once a week. I mix up 4 different stores. I havent seen .22lrs in over a year.

Huh? Where are you guys looking?

I don't see it as often as I'd like, but Shooters Outpost has it 5 times a week. Most Walmarts get it weekly as well.

I bought thousands of rounds of .22 this weekend. Just need to know where to look.

I just hate 99% of gun shops out there, I just refuse to drive all around dealing with dickhead know it alls telling me lies. Come to think of it, I just hate most people, maybe thats the problem.....

Back
Top Bottom