• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 NES Bullet Casting Seminar Feeler?

Should we hold the casting seminar in the spring or the fall?

• Total voters
Amazon product ASIN B074DFMR8KView: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pre-Seasoned-Dutch-Handles-2-Quart/dp/B074DFMR8K

Amazon product ASIN B001OPLJUUView: https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting-Dipper-Multicolor-Size/dp/B001OPLJUU

or spend less - bend the handle and put a pouring lip in
Amazon product ASIN B001VZAWQUView: https://www.amazon.com/Winco-Stainless-Steel-Ladle-2-Ounce/dp/B001VZAWQU

Needs a mod to the control to get the temperature up high enough (easy)

Molds - buy what you can get
Lee 2 cavity molds are a good way to start out but their bullet profiles are cut for low production cost not the best bullet performance
An exception - Double Cavity Mold 356-120-TC
Works great when HiTec coated with a slower powder in 9mm

Lubing cab be done with tumble lube, powder coat or HiTec
Powder coat or Hitec will need a toaster oven to cure the coating so add $30-40 for a cheap oven.
I have done a ton of YouTube "homework " so to speak.
Why doesn't everyone cast hollow point bullets? It seems like it would be killing two birds with one stone. Then I go plinking with the good stuff, it seems it would be beneficial to practice more with defensive ammo?

Why doesn't everyone cast hollow point bullets? It seems like it would be killing two birds with one stone. Then I go plinking with the good stuff, it seems it would be beneficial to practice more with defensive ammo?
More expensive molds
A little harder to cast.
Need to do a decent amount of testing to get the alloy content correct to allow expansion at the velocity you run the bullet at while not leading your barrel

If you want to mimic your defensive ammo pick a mold that drops a similar weight then work up a load that matches the POI (same velocity)

More expensive molds
A little harder to cast.
Need to do a decent amount of testing to get the alloy content correct to allow expansion at the velocity you run the bullet at while not leading your barrel

If you want to mimic your defensive ammo pick a mold that drops a similar weight then work up a load that matches the POI (same velocity)
The mold is a one time cost, once the lead is dialed in I would think it would be better to have one "bucket" of ammo at home?
Also, is it more difficult to use a 6 bullet mold? Looks more efficient than 2 at a time.

Very cool. Can you recomend some equipment for a guy starting out? I did a little research and that stuff also looks hard to find in stock. :(
You just need to look around, my buddy rounded up everything he needed to start loading and casting for 45/70 and 357 mag.
In the past few weeks and prices where not crazy , only thing he paid $$$ for primers
$150/1k but still ahead reloading 45/70

The mold is a one time cost, once the lead is dialed in I would think it would be better to have one "bucket" of ammo at home?
Also, is it more difficult to use a 6 bullet mold? Looks more efficient than 2 at a time.
All casting has its learning curve, I have a 6 cavity aluminum mold that drops 165gn 30 cal cast darn well, a 9mm mold of the same manufacture , not so much?
Single , double or 6 , you will find the groove eventually.
Now that I am getting older the 6 cavity molds almost become work over the 2 cavity.

If you have a bottom pour then a 6 gang is fine.
pouring 6 from a ladle takes a little more coordination to keep the mold at the right temp but is doable.

As far as one ammo - The issue is mostly from liability standpoint if you have to use your gun in self defense. I don't fully buy into it since I use Hornady Critical Duty as carry ammo. Any lawyer that brings up "extra killy" hand loads is going to have a field day with "high power" +P designed to penetrate FBI barriers ( :p ).

I cast a ton of HPs. It all depends on your application.
For the “regular” revolver and pistol loads they can be pretty easy to make work.
When you mess around with high pressure loads you need to take special consideration of alloy and hollow point design.
Like all of the casting stuff. The basics are pretty easy to get good results with. Once you start experimenting with high velocity or with odd bullet designs or obsolete cartridges the more advanced tricks come into play.
Even then plinking can usually be accomplished without much effort. Accuracy and terminal performance aren’t always as easy.

I share this feeling also but sometimes a different bullet works better or is more accurate. You can’t always get everything you need from one design.
Now if you really want to do some learning check out the IWBA articles and see if maybe you can get the job done with a wide flat nose and forego the HP trouble.

What cartridges do you plan to cast for?

I’m in the middle of experiencing with 45-70 hollow points styles and alloys. Different than a 38 special for sure.

I cast a ton of HPs. It all depends on your application.
For the “regular” revolver and pistol loads they can be pretty easy to make work.
When you mess around with high pressure loads you need to take special consideration of alloy and hollow point design.
Like all of the casting stuff. The basics are pretty easy to get good results with. Once you start experimenting with high velocity or with odd bullet designs or obsolete cartridges the more advanced tricks come into play.
Even then plinking can usually be accomplished without much effort. Accuracy and terminal performance aren’t always as easy.

I share this feeling also but sometimes a different bullet works better or is more accurate. You can’t always get everything you need from one design.
Now if you really want to do some learning check out the IWBA articles and see if maybe you can get the job done with a wide flat nose and forego the HP trouble.

What cartridges do you plan to cast for?

I’m in the middle of experiencing with 45-70 hollow points styles and alloys. Different than a 38 special for sure.
Starting with 9mm, then 40 S&W, and may go to .223

Let me save you some aggravation.
223 is pita to cast for.
Fine if you want to have a cast load for the AR or some heavy subsonic loads for the boltgun….. anyway my least favorite to cast for.
40. Cal? Heck I carry a 40 and I dont even reload for it at all.

I’m going to echo Mac on this one. 223 is ok for single shots and bolts and single shots in the AR. Great tor trigger time and at practice without all the expensive ammo.
Guys have gotten them to run fine but it takes a little bit of a dance to get her just right.

40 cal has a reputation around here. I agree with it. It can be done and most tricks that help with 9 can help with 40.

Now you need to buy a 45-70 because it will become as cheap to shoot as 9mm. Then you can throw that 40 away.

38 special with penta pins from MP

I would carry these without a second though.
Unfired. Fired from a snub. Fired from a 4” and fired from a 16”. All the same 3.5 grains of Clays.

I’ve fired dozens of these into gel and every single one looked exactly the same as the rest out of whatever platform I shot them out of. FD07812E-3AB8-46A6-9220-DEC2734AAB06.jpeg BEF864A1-69EF-4818-9D6C-65E9B492DA82.jpeg

I kind of lost this thread so just catching up.
I'd really like to attend.
Is the date set for 10/17?
Or is that just a proposal?
Trying to get on board with reloading but it's a struggle with the current situation and I've been working most every Saturday this summer.
Bummer.

What's the max velocity on a cast 9mm HP?
You can move them as fast as jacketed if you do it right. Not that you would need that speed to get proper expansion. Softer alloys can expand well down to 800 or so depending on the hollow point style.

I kind of lost this thread so just catching up.
I'd really like to attend.
Is the date set for 10/17?
Or is that just a proposal?
Trying to get on board with reloading but it's a struggle with the current situation and I've been working most every Saturday this summer.
Bummer.
10/17 maybe. I think either the weekend before or after would be good if it works for @pastera due to the 17th being a local steel match that a lot of the usual suspects from the seminar also attend.

10/17 maybe. I think either the weekend before or after would be good if it works for @pastera due to the 17th being a local steel match that a lot of the usual suspects from the seminar also attend.
@240Geezer

The 10th is a better better day because my wife's birthday is the week following the 24th.

@240Geezer

The 10th is a better better day because my wife's birthday is the week following the 24th.
Just checking.
I will make every effort to get there (wherever there is) on the day ( whatever day it ends up being) even if just to observe in person/ real time.
Oh and ask a lot of dumbest questions too😂

Back
Top Bottom