• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2018 Mini Walls of Steel

Myself and a few others I know will be there Sunday AM. Going to bring a new toy to play with there.

Very in... Sat @ 2pm, done.... glad I didnt miss the reg time.... the AM is pretty much full but still some slots Sat PM...

-Mike

question...may be a dumb one but............
I'm attending this , I have no LTC in Rhode Island
having my competition piece and ammo locked up accordingly good enough in case we get pulled over for anything?
I'd hate for something stupid to ruin my day
looking forward to this match :)
DRGrant, TSl001 and I are in the 2:00 group on Saturday too, looking forward to meeting some more NES members

I'm signed up for Saturday afternoon.

I'll be a noob. Any advice?

Knock down as many plates as you can as fast as you can!
Haha
Seriously, just knock em down one at a time, don’t shoot faster than you can hit you will just waste ammo.
Great time and a really great group of volunteers running it.
Just don’t sit around waiting for others to reset plates! You will run into a few who think they are above getting their hands dirty and expect everyone else to do the resetting(usually they are deep in conversation or always fiddling with their equipment when the time comes to reset), don’t be that guy!
Bring some gloves.
Thank the volunteers as it’s a big commitment and a lotta work.
Have a blast and good luck!
Be safe!

having my competition piece and ammo locked up accordingly good enough in case we get pulled over for anything?

Keep it unloaded and in a locked case and drive the speed limit. You’ll be fine.

Regarding the “spectators” when it comes to resetting steel: There are always lazy bums at these events. However, there are also those who have legit health issues such as back problems, knee problems and so forth. I have RA in my lower back and at 38 years old I look completely healthy but some days the pain is unbearable. I manage it though, and will be out there downrange Saturday flipping back targets as long as I’m not shooting!

Last edited:
Keep it unloaded and in a locked case and drive the speed limit. You’ll be fine.

Regarding the “spectators” when it comes to resetting steel: There are always lazy bums at these events. However, there are also those who have legit health issues such as back problems, knee problems and so forth. I have RA in my lower back and at 38 years old I look completely healthy but some days the pain is unbearable. I manage it though, and will be out there downrange Saturday flipping back targets as long as I’m not shooting!

I understand pain. I don’t have a problem with people excusing themselves in that situation.
The people I am referring to seem to have no problem bending over to retrieve their brass only, and slinging their heavy range bag over their shoulder. Just an FYI, those that cant reset because of pain could certainly offer to grab score sheets and write down times. Right?
It’s just irritating when people think they are “above” getting their pretty little hands dirty.

looking forward to this match :)
DRGrant, TSl001 and I are in the 2:00 group on Saturday too, looking forward to meeting some more NES members

Supposed to rain tomorrow but the purple umbrella will have to suffice between stages, lmao. .

As far as legal BS in the past we used to just lock our stuff up and go down there... never had problems. IIRC RI
has some verbiage in place like this...

(listed as exemption to having a carry lic. in RI)

" A person who is transporting a handgun from his home or place of business to a "bona fide target practice range" and back, provided the handgun is broken down, unloaded, and carried openly, or is unloaded and secured in a separate container."

-Mike

I'm signed up for Saturday afternoon.

I'll be a noob. Any advice?

Bring more mags than you think you'll need... if you run dry you'll get killed on your time for any leftover
targets. (rule is 10 rnds a mag + no top offs if I remember correctly).

Bring bug spray and sunscreen (although I think its going to be overcast and shitty/rain but you never know).

-Mike

What’s a good time to arrive? I’m scheduled for 9:00 am tomorrow. So not sure if that’s first shot(s) or?

Oh. One more question. I only signed up for one gun, if I wanted to do a second, can I do so on site?

Chris we got there at 8:15 today and the safety meeting didn’t start til just after 9. But, website says to get there prior to 8:30.

I can’t answer the 2nd question for you.

Thanks again to Jim and crew for another great day on the walls!

Chris we got there at 8:15 today and the safety meeting didn’t start til just after 9. But, website says to get there prior to 8:30.

I can’t answer the 2nd question for you.

Thanks again to Jim and crew for another great day on the walls!

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I’ll shoot for 8:30ish.

Hope you did well and did not get soaked!

I did ok and no malfunctions or steel left standing. I did however develop a crack in the slide of my only 9mm 1911, I just found out. Guess I’ll have to save up for one of those Colt 9mm’s now. LOL

And yes, got rained on pretty good for the last few stages. ;)

I did ok and no malfunctions or steel left standing. I did however develop a crack in the slide of my only 9mm 1911, I just found out. Guess I’ll have to save up for one of those Colt 9mm’s now. LOL

And yes, got rained on pretty good for the last few stages. ;)

Oh! That blows, can you warranty it?. Played with the Colt and while it was very accurate, not sure I’d get one. Had some hiccups.

Just got back from the morning shoot. No issues, did ok and we’ll worth the trip.

Awesome time as usual!
Shot this am, sq1, great bunch of guys. Everyone pitched in and things ran great.
Big thx to Jim and crew!
Can’t wait for the big event.

Oh! That blows, can you warranty it?.

No it’s actually a Frankengun I bought a few years ago here for a decent price. The upper is a somewhat rare Colt 9mm conversion unit, on an Essex lower with some Brown and Wilson parts here and there. Damn thing has served me quite well considering what I paid for it and how many rounds I’ve put through it and I’m already in touch with Derr to see what a good replacement will be.
Caspian slide is the answer I guess.
In the meantime I am gonna sell my soul to the devil for a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm

In the meantime I am gonna sell my soul to the devil for a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm

Go big or go home

574-010__20388.1430919897.1280.1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom