2016 Spring Turkey Season:

Got into the blind in stow at 5:15 this morning. Heard two gobbles right away about 50 yards off, think we bumbed them while setting up the decoys though as we couldn't get them to answer the rest of the morning. Did have a doe walk right up to the blind without noticing us. Wish I coulda got a picture.

My 13 year old daughter scored her first turkey during the Mass Youth Turkey Hunting Day on Saturday at 6:50 am

It was 14.2 lbs, 4" beard, and 1/4" spurs

It was a "PROUD DAD MOMENT"

Congratulations. That is an awesome program, my son nailed a 22# long beard, when he was 13.

went out this AM, heard one tom gobbling but I couldn't get him into the woods..... i need to be more patient...wound up trying to find him and must have spooked him...

Looking to get out Saturday morning, saw a few walking around Monday after I got out of class around 10am and again on Tuesday morning. Hoping they are in the same area. Looking to hunt with decoys for the first time as well, any advice?

Saw a hen crossing the street tonight on the way home from work. Had about 8 cars backed up while she took her time.

I like to sit in front of my computer working on these calls....
Drives my wife, kids and dogs crazy....[smile]
No action yet. Will keep at it.

http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/wild-turkey-basics/turkey-sounds

Good website for info.

I sit outside with my kids playing in the yard, practicing calling.
my neighbors must love it too..

went out today for 4 1/2 hours. Saw a couple hens but only by accident. Nothing answered any of my calls.
It was perfect weather and I really needed some downtime.
Its amazing what a couple hours walking through the woods with a shotgun will do.

I hear that RDG nothing i like better than getting out in nature and interacting with the animals of the forest ........and blasting them to bits with a large shotgun .

Played hooky today and stayed out until 11:00.
Three different locations. Had 2 hens come by and heard one gobble.
Great morning to be out but haven't heard much gobbling. Maybe next week.

Came home and spread 5 yards of mulch...[frown]
Was taking a break on the patio and a lone hen came through the backyard. Scout the wonder dog held tight and then promptly sent her rocketing up into the trees...

Hope to sit at a good looking new spot in the am.
Picked up a new slate striker call today as the glass one I had been using was shot and had a hard time staying consistent. I think slate is the way to go?

Anyone have luck today? Got a delayed start due to some... Navigation issues. Eventually heard a few hens squawking. Couldn't bring them close to make my set more attractive. About to take a short nap and start again from 10:00 to 11:30

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No luck. I had a tom walking down a trail about 100 yards to the left of me and couldn't call him in any closer.

Took a jake late morning around 10. Didnt hear any gobbling until about 9, ended up calling in a few jakes that had a few hens with them. No toms. Thick hardwoods in worthington so I needed to check them one by one with bino's. Ill be back out for a nice tom, turkey pot pie in the meantime

Hunted 5am-9am Saturday.
Had two big blonde coyotes follow my trail the length of a long field where I was sitting at the end.
They circled my decoys and came right to me. Hissed at them and they took off.
One skinny hen and two birds gobbling but no movement.
Hope to get out once or twice this week.

Last edited:
Saturday AM @11:30....a flock of 6 jakes marched towards me...at 25 yards they spread out a bit..and the lead 15 pounder came home with me! [smile]
WT-043016-15-3.jpg

Struck out today in the rain. Felt great going in. Got to my spot early, set up, started calling quietly. No joy all morning. Moved spots around 11:00. Still nothing.

All I heard were songbirds and a Red Tailed Hawk.

Frustrating? Yes. Did I still have fun? Yup.

Just wish I had a bird for dinner.

Struck out today in the rain. Felt great going in. Got to my spot early, set up, started calling quietly. No joy all morning. Moved spots around 11:00. Still nothing.

All I heard were songbirds and a Red Tailed Hawk.

Frustrating? Yes. Did I still have fun? Yup.

Just wish I had a bird for dinner.

word for word, the same morning I had.

Only I came home around 10AM to a screaming 5 year old and instantly wished I had stayed in the rain in the field.

I did learn my boots are not even close to waterproof and ordered a set of Mucks from Dicks. On sale for $90.

word for word, the same morning I had.

Only I came home around 10AM to a screaming 5 year old and instantly wished I had stayed in the rain in the field.

I did learn my boots are not even close to waterproof and ordered a set of Mucks from Dicks. On sale for $90.

I have Mucks that I love. Field XT's or something like that. Worked out well.

Know what the kicker is?

We're having turkey pot pie for dinner - From Stop & Shop. I feel I am being taunted.

Know what the kicker is?

We're having turkey pot pie for dinner - From Stop & Shop. I feel I am being taunted.

my wife did the same thing to me last week. Roasted a whole turkey one day I came home empty handed. She thinks she funny......

Know what the kicker is?

Taunted? And tormented...!

Almost every time I come home from hunting I drive by yards full of big Toms hanging in the neighborhoods.

Today I was heading in and passed a house just up the street from us that had three huge Toms in the yard with beards dragging on the ground...And turkeys cutting through my yard everyday...!
I was out this am and the only thing I saw and heard was other hunters....

A few quick questions I haven't turkey hunted since one of the first seasons, I kind of remember back then you couldn't stalk, Is that still true? how important is camo (do you do facepaint etc or just a drape of camo over the head?) I have 2 stickers on the gun still one green one yellow (be safe and hunt safely) about a 1/2 inch round. are these still ok?

I may try the spring season this year ( a bad knee has kept me out of the woods for a long time, just got a replacement this winter) definitely the fall. ( out in zone 4N) thanks

A few quick questions I haven't turkey hunted since one of the first seasons, I kind of remember back then you couldn't stalk, Is that still true? how important is camo (do you do facepaint etc or just a drape of camo over the head?) I have 2 stickers on the gun still one green one yellow (be safe and hunt safely) about a 1/2 inch round. are these still ok?

I may try the spring season this year ( a bad knee has kept me out of the woods for a long time, just got a replacement this winter) definitely the fall. ( out in zone 4N) thanks
There are much better turkey hunters than I who I'm sure will chime in. But this is what I've done my first year hunting.

I've done a mix of still hunting over decoys and "run and gun". I've done decoy in the early morning and a bit more active/mobile in the afternoon. I hunt a relatively unpressured/private area, but my biggest worry is getting shot by another hunter which is why I wait until it's a bit brighter to move around.

I wear full camo and a buff to cover as much skin as possible. When the skeeters get bad, I have a full head cover. I'll wear an orange beanie on my way in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom