2016 Spring Turkey Season:

Counted 3 dead on rt3 on my way home from Plymouth earlier today.

Darn Pilgrims! [smile]

going out this afternoon to check my patterns! this will be my first season for turkey (hopefully better than my first deer season).

what are you guys using for turkey chokes? seems to be a ton of them out there, but i'm wondering what ones are ACTUALLY the better of the bunch.

I might try it for the first time also. Just need to find a good spot.

Would use 12 ga 28 modified choke, 2 3/4 shell.

Thanks to Tik and RDG, I've found some stickers. Now I just need to convince the birds to come to me.

This is my first Turkey season and I'm pretty excited to get out there.

Pattern that, it's my guess you'll need a MUCH tighter choke. At least a full.

I enjoy turkey hunting just as much as predator hunting, can't beat spring mornings.

It is a fixed choke. This is my all=purpose shotgun. It is good for deer, birds, bunnies, coyotes. The only variable is the ammunition.

It is a fixed choke. This is my all=purpose shotgun. It is good for deer, birds, bunnies, coyotes. The only variable is the ammunition.

I just sent my Skeet Barrel to Micheal Orlen in Amherst, he cut it down, installed a removable choke and provided a extended turkey choke..it was $115 and I couldn't be happier! turn around time was 3 days

You will want a full or extra full choke, I patterned my modified 1100 barrel it was far to open even at 20 yards...
02ff3d5e6363a62198c3e041ce448b1f.jpg
ed041933032532096c6d69dc1975f1fb.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any luck this morning? I was in the woods around 5:15 at a spot that had Turkey previously, but not a single gobble. Then the police started using a few of the pistol bays and I figured it was time to skedaddle. Back at it on Saturday.

I'm debating trying the same spot again on Saturday. Anyone have thoughts?

Anyone have any luck this morning? I was in the woods around 5:15 at a spot that had Turkey previously, but not a single gobble. Then the police started using a few of the pistol bays and I figured it was time to skedaddle. Back at it on Saturday.

I'm debating trying the same spot again on Saturday. Anyone have thoughts?

NH season doesn't start till a week from tomorrow so no updates from me till then. Spent yesterday scouting and my spot is literally a wasteland of turkey tracks and scratching and I saw a flock of birds 50 yards from where I plan to set up. Those are some good signs but it really only matters what happens the days I'm there hunting so we'll see! My dad and I will be there right and early opening day.

I just sent my Skeet Barrel to Micheal Orlen in Amherst, he cut it down, installed a removable choke and provided a extended turkey choke..it was $115 and I couldn't be happier! turn around time was 3 days

You will want a full or extra full choke, I patterned my modified 1100 barrel it was far to open even at 20 yards...
02ff3d5e6363a62198c3e041ce448b1f.jpg
ed041933032532096c6d69dc1975f1fb.jpg

What are you using for sights? I really like them

the rear is plastic, clamps on the rib, the front is supposed to attach under the screw in bead sight but mine are pressed in, I drilled and tapped the rib for a 4-40 screw to attach, the rest is attached with double sised tape but I think im gonna try to atttach ti with A dab of JB weld since they wont ever be coming off the 19 barrel. http://www.amazon.com/HIVIZ-TriViz-Fiber-Optic-Turkey/dp/B0000V2HCI

My 13 year old daughter scored her first turkey during the Mass Youth Turkey Hunting Day on Saturday at 6:50 am

It was 14.2 lbs, 4" beard, and 1/4" spurs

It was a "PROUD DAD MOMENT"

A big fat one walked right across my front yard this morning. The dog was looking out the window and barked, then went into pointer mode. I wonder what would happen if i let her chase the thing, but just too busy a road.

Patterned the super full extended turkey choke in the Remington 1100 this afternoon. I am quite pleased with the pattern at 30 yards pushing number five shot from federal hydra shock two and three-quarter inch turkey loads.

0f722344106ced5b3af8f9395d224555.jpg

there was a hunting accident in western mass Monday, hunter shot in the side of the head, just a reminder to be safe out there and don;t put yourself in a spot that guarantees a bad outcome....

BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

oh I thought that was why we put those silly stickers on our guns......[rolleyes]

ive always thought, man the person who thinks will actually make a difference must really like the taste of windows...

Just another thing for them to jam us up on... Reminds me I need to make a magazine plug to remind myself only put 2 in the tube....

Nothing yesterday in worthington, had a pack of hens with at least two toms/jakes walk by within 100 yards of me but they were over the next knob and wouldn't even respond to the call. Heard one gobble from that group which made a second one in the group gobble instantly thereafter. They rototilled through and kept going down a steep hillside. Leaves were so loud and crunchy I couldn't even try to close the gap.

Heard three gobbles all morning, it was pretty bad. Also heard three separate shots way off in the distance. They were still henned up, hoping another week changes that.

Last edited:
there was a hunting accident in western mass Monday, hunter shot in the side of the head, just a reminder to be safe out there and don;t put yourself in a spot that guarantees a bad outcome....

BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

That sucks, i'd like to hear the details as they come available.

Got a big one monday Morning 24.0 lbs 1 1/4 inch spur 11 inch beard . Didn't hear one gobble until 6:30 about 3 minutes before the Tom and 7 Jakes showed up. Of course the minute i nailed the Tom the Jakes ran in and started attacking the now dead Tom.

Nothing yesterday in worthington, had a pack of hens with at least two toms/jakes walk by within 100 yards of me but they were over the next knob and wouldn't even respond to the call. Heard one gobble from that group which made a second one in the group gobble instantly thereafter. They rototilled through and kept going down a steep hillside. Leaves were so loud and crunchy I couldn't even try to close the gap.

Heard three gobbles all morning, it was pretty bad. Also heard three separate shots way off in the distance. They were still henned up, hoping another week changes that.

Good to hear of someone hunting Worthington, plenty of turkey in town. Hope the rest of the season treats you better than today!

Back
Top Bottom