• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2015 Fishing/Ice Fishing Thread

Wish there was some ice to speak of nothing doing in the Southcoast here. I've got the itch too was really looking forward to this year but Ma nature just hasn't cooperated yet.

This weekend there will be some ice! Have faith. Unfortunately I have to work sat and Sunday.......but next weekend I'll be out there with my son. Damn that reminds me......gotta go through the gear and change all my leaders. ;)

I put new leaders and hooks on my polar tilts last night. The ice should be good around here this weekend but i'm gonna wait till next weekend dont wanna take a bath, cant wait to fire up the auger and catch some bass!!

Last edited:
I expect to be on the ice as well this weekend, my pond actually froze over last night, hoping ice will be thick enough by the weekend. If not I will be on it sitting in a float tube!

What are you guys using for bait? I plan on shiners on the tip ups for bass and jigging with a Swedish pimple for perch because a mans got to eat!

I expect to be on the ice as well this weekend, my pond actually froze over last night, hoping ice will be thick enough by the weekend. If not I will be on it sitting in a float tube!

What are you guys using for bait? I plan on shiners on the tip ups for bass and jigging with a Swedish pimple for perch because a mans got to eat!

Healthy lively Shiners.

Ill be out there this weekend. Most of the state should be safely locked up by saturday...but dont take my word, be safe and test!

I'll be out this weekend. Spent last night checking the gear and replacing all my leaders.

Had Perch for dinner Saturday night....Hoping to get a bass or two this weekend, I know where they are just can't get them to bite! yet......

- - - Updated - - -

Hey just thinking if any wants to get together for a little ice fishing on Saturday let me know I can host...

Had Perch for dinner Saturday night....Hoping to get a bass or two this weekend, I know where they are just can't get them to bite! yet......

- - - Updated - - -

Hey just thinking if any wants to get together for a little ice fishing on Saturday let me know I can host...

Nice looking little footballs!

They were nice and plump, the cutting board they are on is 14" so they were all at least 12" I did throw a bunch of smaller ones back as they just aren't worth filleting and I want them to grow bigger for the next time!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice looking little footballs!

Got out last weekend and had a couple banner days! My son got his first fish from flag to ice, that was a proud moment!
30f0c144973add46a7b55a97cccba943.jpg
4a01c4973c3f97572297aef47e9176a6.jpg
e574490fc5e3d7417f9ce19ad57b4e0c.jpg
624fe2373c7ee9dec7bc7d9a85080ea5.jpg
74747f6b0bc9f69788f63cb1fa8837fe.jpg

Slow day put some new stickers on the jet sled though, and got a nice little bass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Missed a nice brown at the hole, at least 22"..... Other than that did good on rainbows and jigged up a hundred little Brookies
e63c07331c394abd0fa512ea1c54f872.jpg
ad3ddde545eaebfe1feb31b606b8f137.jpg

ade943254e1c6752f6b8a9b7c6f33dca.jpg

Nice trout pictures.
New to ice fishing for trout I'm looking for any tips to make my ice time more productive.

My first question is location for trout mid winter.
Should I set up tip ups, and or jigging in relatively shallow <10ft <5ft locating sandy or flats?
Setting up at various drop off or point depths ?

I'm assuming if deeper over 20-30 ft I should keep the presentation closer to the surface for cruising active trout. (shiners, or live bait )

Looks like fish finders could very useful for perch and deeper pan fish.

Any and all advice appreciated.
PM me some decent areas to consider..

May try Fort pond, Comet pond, and local waters around Devens, Groton,
My try Dublin Lake in NH.

Thanks!

Nice trout pictures.
New to ice fishing for trout I'm looking for any tips to make my ice time more productive.

My first question is location for trout mid winter.
Should I set up tip ups, and or jigging in relatively shallow <10ft <5ft locating sandy or flats?
Setting up at various drop off or point depths ?

I'm assuming if deeper over 20-30 ft I should keep the presentation closer to the surface for cruising active trout. (shiners, or live bait )

Looks like fish finders could very useful for perch and deeper pan fish.

Any and all advice appreciated.
PM me some decent areas to consider..

May try Fort pond, Comet pond, and local waters around Devens, Groton,
My try Dublin Lake in NH.

Thanks!
Rainbow trout go deep at night and come in the shallows at the first sign of light in the am. Drill holes in shallow edges (and i mean shallow) about an hour before first light. Take a nap in the truck. Set tips quietly at the first sign of light. Get ready. I've got bows like this on tilts set up in 2 feet of water so close to shore you'd never think a fish would be there.

Yup close to the shore, get your traps in before sunup. I've never worried about spooking stocked trout, I've had on multiple occasions gotten a flag while drilling the next hole 20-30 feet away. I use 4lb floro leader and #10 octopus hooks. Usually it's over 4 hours after sun up although I have taken them in the afternoon too.
d0c89ae7f72d97976bc6aa919cd8f749.jpg

Yup close to the shore, get your traps in before sunup. I've never worried about spooking stocked trout, I've had on multiple occasions gotten a flag while drilling the next hole 20-30 feet away. I use 4lb floro leader and #10 octopus hooks. Usually it's over 4 hours after sun up although I have taken them in the afternoon too.
d0c89ae7f72d97976bc6aa919cd8f749.jpg

I use the same setup ......bait is a single salmon egg. Works like a charm.

Question from a guy with ZERO experience ice fishing. Do the hand cranked augers work? I've never ice fished before but love just about any kind of fishing, but I don't want to invest in a gas auger for something I'm not sure will be used enough to justify the cost. Who knows, I might love it and buy all sorts of gear, but for starting out and getting the gist of it, can I get by with a hand auger or what are my alternatives?

Hand Augers work fine. If you like to drill a lot of holes you'll want a powered auger. If you want to drill a lot of holes and not pay for a power auger get a Nils auger.

Back
Top Bottom