2014 Hunting Megathread

Is anyone seeing anything? If so is it morning or evening (mass or NH).

Did not see anything this evening except some cool birds. Seemed like some type of woodpecker but not like any I had ever seen. Little guys were pounding the trees.

Last edited:
5:45 to 6:30 (not that it would matter) then 6:30 to 1:00... nothing. No shots heard either. Found my first real scrape that seemed pretty fresh and saw a lot of deer crap too, plus some nice beaten deer trails, but no actual deer. oh well

At devens it was not pinned to a specific time. Mine was just before noon.....the wife was sunup.

We all know they go after the acorns but for what its worth devens had lots of tracts of oak stand with the leaf litter pawed up where the deer were getting at the mast under the snow . And the buck my wife shot had mouth FULL of acorns when the guy at the check stationed looked at his teeth.

Last edited:
FYI - I'm sure this event will get the hunter comments going....

http://www.wcvb.com/news/man-shot-after-being-mistaken-for-deer-in-hyannis/30125932

HYANNIS, Mass. —
A man was shot while jogging in the woods with his dog in Hyannis Monday evening, police said.

Members of the Barnstable Police Department said they received a call from a woman around 5 p.m. who said she heard a gunshot and saw a man staggering out of the woods in the area of Mary Dunn Road and Independence Drive.

Police arrived and said they found two men.
One of the men, who was identified as a 39-year-old Marstons Mills man, was suffering from pellet injuries to both his hands and upper back. Police said the victim was jogging through the woods with his dog on the Barnstable Water Shed property when he was hit twice by shotgun pellets from a hunter who was also in the woods.
The unidentified victim was taken to Cape Cod Hospital for treatment.
The hunter, who was identified as Sean Houle, 47, of Marstons Mills, was arrested after the investigation and charged with unlawful possession of ammunition primer, unlawful possession of a gun police said they found in his truck, careless use of a firearm causing injury and carrying a dangerous weapon after police said they found a spring-loaded knife.
Houle is being held in jail on $5,000 bond and will appear in Barnstable First District Court Tuesday morning.
I saw this a few minutes ago.....jeezuz .......sad the shot was made after 5:00pm. He's got some splainin to do to the boys I green as well as da judge

This the part I do not get "unlawful possession of ammunition primer". I wonder what got him that charge, honestly wondering.

I may take some flack for it but this is all on the "hunter" in my book.

Sounds like he may have been using a black powder rifle using shotgun primers. In Ma a person without an FID can purchase the rifle but not the primers.

Sounds like he may have been using a black powder rifle using shotgun primers. In Ma a person without an FID can purchase the rifle but not the primers.

Southshore,

That may make some sense since last night when I heard it on the news they stated he was using both a shotgun and black powder, almost like they were interchanging the two.

Just saw this on another page "He was hunting with what police call a black powder gun, almost like a musket." Guy must have been pretty quick to get reloaded for another shot, I know I cannot reload mine that fast. And you would think the guy who was hit would be making some kind of noise or something to clue the hunter in that it was not a deer.

Well ever soccer mom in the state of Massachusetts sipping chai while watching the morning news now has another bunch in their panties. Thanks to this asshat every dream of hunters getting Sunday back and access to more town land just vaporized into thin air. What a ****ing tool.

- - - Updated - - -

This the part I do not get "unlawful possession of ammunition primer". I wonder what got him that charge, honestly wondering.

I may take some flack for it but this is all on the "hunter" in my book.

I assume u mean the individual hunter in this situation.......I mean.......who else would be responsible?

Yes, you assume correctly as who else would I be referring to [grin]

I put hunter in quotes due to him being a dumbass and not following basic hunting safety rules.

Last edited:
My dog lost her mind this morning around 5a and I sprung to action, saw a 4 pointer caught in the motion light off the back deck.

I'm in my third year hunting I've gotten two deer this year. first 2 of my hunting career. yesterday at 330 I shot a small buckI know I gut shot the deer I saw some of the guts coming out. so I figured I'd look for him in the morning. I found him this morning but the coyote got to him overnight. did I do the right thing by waiting till morning? I'm pretty sick to my stomach.
Ps I strictly bow hunt

I'm in my third year hunting I've gotten two deer this year. first 2 of my hunting career. yesterday at 330 I shot a small buckI know I gut shot the deer I saw some of the guts coming out. so I figured I'd look for him in the morning. I found him this morning but the coyote got to him overnight. did I do the right thing by waiting till morning? I'm pretty sick to my stomach.
Ps I strictly bow hunt

Yes it was best to wait. Unfortunately coyotes getting to it is the worst part about having to wait to start tracking.

This happend to me last week...shot a doe around 4pm...she was quartering too I hit lunge on the side to me but came out through her gut on the backside...I waited 2 hours blood trailed for 2.5 hours, was even on my hands and knees looking for a while... blood was very spotty a few drops every 10 feet...left came back in the morning and found her...20yrds from last blood spot...torn up by the coyotes...almost nothing left of her thats the work of a pack...I still feel sick about it because she was so close...a gut shot deer will die its just a matter of time but backing out is what you should do...go take out the coyotes now.

Ps I strictly bow hunt
As long as you count that deer as part of your yearly "bag" limit and use the corect tag.......I see no harm no foul.

When whitetail closes I plan on trying my hand at the yotes. Got some T shot shells and some hunting ammo for my AR-15. Kept a turkey carcass from turkey day for bait. Gonna buy a alpha dog electronic call. Plan on hitting em as hard as I can. Maybe string them up in a tree as a warning to the others... [devil]

My first ever deer season ended quietly yesterday with me still holding my tags. Most likely due to the fresh coyote scat at the spots I scouted along with my inexperience. I got busted unprepared, face to face, at 10-15' by a 6" spiked buck. (An experience that deserves it's own thread!) I also found the right antler of what could be a 10 pointer! As a total noob with no guidance I didn't expect to harverst anything, but the "trophies" I came home with sure make me feel like I got mine!

My first ever deer season ended quietly yesterday with me still holding my tags. Most likely due to the fresh coyote scat at the spots I scouted along with my inexperience. I got busted unprepared, face to face, at 10-15' by a 6" spiked buck. (An experience that deserves it's own thread!) I also found the right antler of what could be a 10 pointer! As a total noob with no guidance I didn't expect to harverst anything, but the "trophies" I came home with sure make me feel like I got mine!

"Success isn't always measured in blood."

Pat McDonough 2014

Take what you learned this year.....apply it to next year.......it'll happen. There are two weeks of muzzle loader left you know!!!!! With a few days to pick one up and zero it at the range first!

Back
Top Bottom