• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

I leave mine out permanently, but i always chain them to the tree so there are no worries about it disappearing.

If its on public land that sees a lot of people, then i would take it home.

Not sure about MA but I'm fairly certain in Maine you have 30 days from the end of the season to get stands down on public or non-owned land. Beyond that they are illegally hung and could be removed/ticketed by wardens or just destroyed and there really isn't much you can complain about.

Not sure about MA but I'm fairly certain in Maine you have 30 days from the end of the season to get stands down on public or non-owned land. Beyond that they are illegally hung and could be removed/ticketed by wardens or just destroyed and there really isn't much you can complain about.

My understanding in MA is that you have 30 days from when you first place the stand, regardless of what season it is. That being said, I see a lot of stands left out and not be bothered for years. I think I may gamble with mine next year since its such a pain in the ass to drag in and out that if I lose it it, no big.

Gave it my best this year with being limited to hunting most only Saturdays...Can't wait till this coming season already. Going to scout new land, have an Elk hunt in Montana planned, do more 3D shoots, and get the Buck that alluded me this year....oh, and hopefully draw a doe tag this time.

Congrats to all who put meat in the freezer this past season, thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences [cheers]

I was done this past Saturday. Went out with the usual 3 other guys and we sure as hell pushed some thick woods. No sign of anything fresh though. I will be duck hunting this Saturday, next Monday and then the last Saturday (11th) and then I'm done 'til Turkey. I may even go tomorrow if I don't think I wanna chance the 35 mile commute to work with the snow.

I just heard a strange noise outside, so I went to look out the window. See a car doing a 3, no 5, point turn in the road then stop. Another car pulls up, which turns out to be a police car (blue lights were not on at first). The two people in the car get out and are slowly moving towards the cop car.

I lost interest at this point since I figured it was just some stupid car crash.... so I start to walk away.... and then hear two gunshots. I'm thinking I better go get my camera because "this oughta be good", but the two people in the road are not acting injured, and I don't see the cop anywhere... then I notice him on the other side of the road from his car standing over a deer.

Another SUV drives by, with a huge dent in the side. I didn't see it beforehand. My guess would be the deer ran in to the side of SUV, but I'm not sure how the first car was involved - I couldn't see any damage on it from my angle. Or maybe it was just some other random person with a dent in their SUV driving by, and the damage to the first car wasn't visible from where I was.

The cop is now talking with the two people again, then another car pulls up and stops behind the cop car (the road was pretty much blocked too). The cop goes over to talk to this guy. He gets out, they go look at the deer, the cop shoots it again, and then they both toss it in the snow bank off of the road.

In summary: how the hell did it take this jackass three shots to kill a deer laying on the ground in front of him? wtf.
If only they had known they could have asked me and I would have gotten that sucker with just one shot - would have been convenient too since I still need to unload my muzzleloader from last season. But then, I'm just not professional enough to discharge a gun on a public way within 100ft of dwellings.

I went and looked at it after they all left. It was a pretty small deer... I would guess around 75lbs. Too bad.
And no, I did not take the deer.

I'm in a 2nd floor apartment in a condo building.... no garage, not really any place to butcher a deer... and I don't really see the point in paying someone else to butcher such a small deer.

should have called me up and hung it in my garage. could have taken the straps anyway.

Some nice deer out there, I got one this morning that I think puts me in the running for the NES Big Buck club:

View attachment 84993

190lbs dressed, no heart/lungs, 10 points, G3's are 10.5" and 9.5", single shot from my .270 win at about 150 yards.

He didn't bleed a drop until about 20 yards after I hit him there was no exit wound, no hair, no blood at the spot I hit him. He went about 75 yards and piled up.

Just got the scoring, 153 inches Gross, 146 net, not many deductions but the spread caused it to score lower than I would have hoped. Should have the mount back in the fall.

Art Fayta in Pownal, Maine, he's top notch, takes awhile to get the work done but he does amazing mounts.

I brought mine to Northeast Taxidermy in CT. First one I'm getting mounted. Have a relative who uses them. Their work looked amazing when I toured the shop. Little more pricey, but I'll deal with it. Hopefully see mine within a month or two.

I brought mine to Northeast Taxidermy in CT. First one I'm getting mounted. Have a relative who uses them. Their work looked amazing when I toured the shop. Little more pricey, but I'll deal with it. Hopefully see mine within a month or two.

Yeah, mine was $485 and I likely won't see it until Nov./Dec. this year but it's the same guy that did my Dad's Deer, Moose and Bear over the past 30 years and he does fantastic work.

Back
Top Bottom