2011 Harvard, MA Appleseed Shoots

Had a great time and learned a lot! Great instruction, lots of shooting, good stories. If you want to learn the fundamental skills of shooting a rifle, get thee to an Appleseed! Thanks again to the instructors!

Just wanted to send a quick thanks to the instructors at the Appleseed this past weekend. I learned a great deal and will definitely be returning. Next time I attend I'll make sure to bring some Excedrin. Had to leave earlier than expected due to a migraine which is very frustrating. Anyways, if you have never attended an Appeleseed I highly recommend going. The experience is priceless.

It's Sunday. All the remaining odd-numbered months this year at Harvard are one day shoots on Sunday - we've had requests for one day shoots, and we've also had folks asking about Sunday shoots. You'll get the same material but all in one day.

It's Sunday. All the remaining odd-numbered months this year at Harvard are one day shoots on Sunday - we've had requests for one day shoots, and we've also had folks asking about Sunday shoots. You'll get the same material but all in one day.

Hi Ross, how much bug juice do you need at Harvard during the summer?

The drinkin' kind or the kind to kill off one of G-d's biggest mistakes (the mosquito)?

Drinking kind - I'd bring at least a couple of liters of water a day, maybe more. The firing line is dirt and it's not shaded.

The DEET kind? Not much, actually - because the lines ARE dirt there aren't many bugs hanging around. Bring some DEET but you don't have to bathe in it... unlike, say, Enfield NH or Leyden Rifle Club.

How strongly recommended is a sling? I already know reloading will be a joy with the tube-fed Marlin model 60; why make life even harder? :)

How strongly recommended is a sling? I already know reloading will be a joy with the tube-fed Marlin model 60; why make life even harder? :)

Very strongly. A sling stabilizes your aim tremendously.

As for the tube-fed rifle, just get reloader from someplace like Midway or Brownells, or pick up half a dozen or so McDonald's straws. Staple one end shut and they make good field-expedient speed loaders.

Thanks, I found the speedloaders on midwayusa.com ($18.99 ea for the Spee-D-15). Not sure what sling I can use on the Marlin yet, though; I'll have to look at it later to see what it can take.

Also noted the tarp & mat tip; thx sevenMMmag. Is that tarp to keep the me & the mat cleaner, or is it to catch the brass so we're making less of a mess and cleaning up easier (or both)?

Thx again for the advice on making the day an even better experience

Thanks, I found the speedloaders on midwayusa.com ($18.99 ea for the Spee-D-15). Not sure what sling I can use on the Marlin yet, though; I'll have to look at it later to see what it can take.

Also noted the tarp & mat tip; thx sevenMMmag. Is that tarp to keep the me & the mat cleaner, or is it to catch the brass so we're making less of a mess and cleaning up easier (or both)?

It makes it easier to police the brass at the end of the day, and I've noticed a lot of shooters like to have the tarp underneath the mat when it rains... which it seems to do on Appleseed Shoots at Harvard with depressing regularity. [rolleyes]

A little bit premature but I'll be seeing you guys in October. A group of 3-4 of us are registering in a few weeks.

For the shoot this weekend there may be a detour due to construction.

Harvard Sportsman's Club said:
HARVARD ACCESS

There will be construction underway very near the Harvard Sportsmen's Club that will close the most commonly used route which includes Whitcomb Avenue/Littleton County Road. Construction is slated to begin August 1 and the current plan is to close the road during weekdays. At this point, we do not know when the project will be complete or if they will change plans regarding weekdays vs. weekends.

If the normal route is closed, the alternate is to use the route often taken by travelers approaching from the south on I-495.

Take Exit 28 from I-495.
Head west on Route 111.
Go through traffic lights at Swanson Road,
Turn right onto Littleton County Road.
Stay right with Littleton County Road at Oak Hill Road split.
Continue approximately 1.8 miles to HSC on right.

If you normally travel on Route 2 to Exit 39, Taylor Street, you will want
to get on I-495 Southbound and travel 1 exit south to Exit 28, Route 111.
Then proceed as above.

I had fun today. It was more challenging than I expected, especially the bottom row on the AQT. My thanks to the instructors and especially to Dwarven1 for his Liberty Training Rifle thread. It was hard to remember all the instructions while shooting, but I intend to practice more until I can get that rifleman patch.

Hey, 'Seeders!

If you're one of the 13 pre-registered shooters for this weekend at Harvard, plan to bring your lunch - the cowboy shooters got the truck before we could, so no lunch truck for us. [sad]

Signed up for Nov 27. Cant wait. Going to set up a 10/22 per the recommendations in the other thread for it.

davemata:2092239 said:
Couldn't get into the Nov. 27 shoot, but is there any info on the Dec. 17-18? Is that a winterseed?

Depends on the weather. If it's 50 and sunny, no. If the weather is winter weather, then it's a Winterseed.

Why couldn't you get into the November shoot? I didn't think it was sold out.

Depends on the weather. If it's 50 and sunny, no. If the weather is winter weather, then it's a Winterseed.

Why couldn't you get into the November shoot? I didn't think it was sold out.

Yeah, was sold out a couple days ago when I was deciding between the pumpkin shoot and the appleseed this month. Work is going to be wrecking my free time until the end of the year. (Well, to be honest, hopefully longer if you catch my drift.)

Yeah, was sold out a couple days ago when I was deciding between the pumpkin shoot and the appleseed this month. Work is going to be wrecking my free time until the end of the year. (Well, to be honest, hopefully longer if you catch my drift.)

Dave, that shoot is NOT sold out - as of last night, there were 5 shooters signed up and we can handle a LOT more. If a one-day shoot is what you want, we should be able to accommodate you. (If you have the time for a full weekend, I recommend the two day shoot as you're not so rushed to get all the material in!)

I'll be, there it is. 95 slots open. I swear it read SOLD OUT last I was on the page.

HM! I would prefer the two day, let me look into it.

Back
Top Bottom