200 Million rounds of 40 SW for Homeland Security

200 Million Rounds

Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.

The load selected for this contract is a 135-grain, hollow point designed for the office of Field Operations of Customs and Border Protection. It will fall under the Winchester Ranger line.

Question - what is the model/type of Pistol in 40 SW that Homeland Security uses...???

In the branch my relative is in, they have switched from Sig to Glock. I got to burn all the 9mm ammo that had been issued to make room for the .40. If it didn't get shot, it got destroyed, just like the Sig. This was at least a year ago.

......135 grain?

I've only ever seen 180 and 165. Why the lighter bullet?

They really wanted 9 mm but when converting 9 mm to inches, they ordered .40 caliber guns instead as that was closer than .357... This is their way of compensating. [wink]

......135 grain?

I've only ever seen 180 and 165. Why the lighter bullet?

Federal makes a 135 grain .40S&W hydra-shok that they advertise as "low recoil." I tested a box in my Walther P99c but didn't notice a significant difference in recoil between them and the 165 grain Federal hydra-shok tactical that I've since standardized on.

I wonder how the external ballistics of the 135 grain .40 compare to the 125 grain .357sig? Similar?

EDIT: In case anyone cares, the 125 grain .357SIG is about 12% faster and 17% more powerful than the 135 grain .40S&W.....

Last edited:
I've got some 135 Grain Noslers from Double Tap in 10mm. If the bullet is the same, they may have picked it for it's tendency not to overpenetrate.

So does this mean Winchester will be adding production capacity to fulfill this contract or will it mean less ammo availability for the civilian market?

Federal makes a 135 grain .40S&W hydra-shok that they advertise as "low recoil." I tested a box in my Walther P99c but didn't notice a significant difference in recoil between them and the 165 grain Federal hydra-shok tactical that I've since standardized on.

I wonder how the external ballistics of the 135 grain .40 compare to the 125 grain .357sig? Similar?

EDIT: In case anyone cares, the 125 grain .357SIG is about 12% faster and 17% more powerful than the 135 grain .40S&W.....
The .357 SIG cartridge has superior penetration. It is currently issued by the United States Secret Service, Texas Department of Public Safety (Texas Rangers), Rhode Island State Police and a number of other LE agencies.

You better load up on Winchester Primers now cause you will not be able to get them in the future with this contract!

Back
Top Bottom