• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 Old Toys...workin on new old ones!

DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

My 1911 manufactured in 1918, commercial to military slide.
DSCF0069.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

My Radom P-35 (9mm) manufactured in 1942

Both brought back from WWII by a priest...that's a long story!

If I said the 1911 was used to capture a german soldier and the radom was a war trophy...that would be a lie! 8~)

The 1911 was issued to a priest as he was an army chaplin in WWII. He received the Radom from a soldier that was afraid of trying to smuggle it home against regulations, so the priest smuggled it home instead.

I came into possession of them as a few of my brother Knights of Columbus and myself, while attending college, helped out an old, sick retired priest (Council Chaplin).

To thank us he let us pick from his "collection", I couldn't decide so he gave me both the 1911 and the Radom. This was in 1977-78. We left stuff like a colt woodsman, Winchester 30 lever action rifle, an old 22 pump rifle, something that reminded me of the rifle Oswarld supposedly shot Kennedy with and a 38 Police Special (S&W I think) w/6" barrel that was issued to him as he was the city police chaplin...he never gave that one back either.

The 1911 was refinished by a process called "armoloy" (not sure of the spelling) an old gunsmith did it for me in 1978 or so. He also put simulated mother of pearl grips on and I was "pimpin". I recently found out the gun is somewhat of a rarity, it is from a small group of commercial slides changed to military then sold to the army. The value as new would be 4 times present value and if I just didn't refinish at least double. So for now it is an oddity and a great shooter that will probably stay in the safe with the Radom (also a great shooter).

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom