2 Old Break Top paperweights? IJ & HR

I have these two old break-tops and not sure if I should try to sell or turn in on the next gun buyback.

IVER JOHNSON “OWL HEAD”
“Safety Automatic Hammerless”

Model 2, Second Model
· Manufactured in 1895
· Top break (Hammerless)
· .38 cal. S&W large frame
· For black powder cartridges
· Owl is looking to the barrel.
· Freewheeling cylinder
· Double top latch
· Serial number without letter prefix
· Marked on the top of the barrel rib
“IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG. MASS.U.S.A.”
“PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.DEC.26.93 PAT'S PENDING”
20151229_1.jpg

H&R PREMIER FIRST MODEL SMALL FRAME TOP BREAK (BLACK POWDER)

· .32 centerfire cal.
· 5 shot
· Double top post barrel latch,
· Free wheeling cylinder (no automatic cylinder stop),
· Nickel with case hardened hammer and barrel latch,
· 3 (standard)in. barrel
· Features a scaled down version of the new frame and double action mechanism introduced in 1890 on the Auto-Ejecting Second Model,
· Does not have caliber marking on left
· Manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures.
· Mfg. 1895-1904.
20151229_2.jpg

I believe the info is correct. Just looking for advice on what to do with them, do they have any type of value?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I could not find a "Whats my gun worth" thread.

Last edited:
Collector interest in these types of firearms has risen over the years. Suggest you do an Internet search to get a sensing of current values and histories. NES does not do much in the way of "what is my gun worth" I believe there is an active association of IJ collectors.

I can give you blue book.
They don't fetch much broken but have "value" in parts.

In the shape they are in I would say your best bet is figure out shipping cost and toss them on gun broker or take the first local offer.
Even though they are in rough shape I would rather see them go to a good home than to a buy back.

Last edited:
Don't support "buy backs"! Please for the love of god don't take em to a buy back!

If I knew somebody who did cheap chrome plating, I'd use them as actual paperweights for my scarface-theme home office.

I doubt I would go the Buy Back route, but it does get people talking. I am hoping to find someone with an unnatural love for these centenarians that might be willing to trade something a little newer. [grin]

Although they are rough looking they both function (when I can find someone to load BP loads for me that is).

Back
Top Bottom