2 Iver Johnson's in 32 S&W

I picked up two more Iver Johnson's over the past week.

The top one is a solid frame American Bulldog, Second Model (1897-1899) in 32 S&W. It is in unfired condition and the pics do not do justice for the mirror like nickel finish. This is the best condition Iver Johnson I have seen in person and a steal at $50.

The bottom one is a Safety Automatic Hammerless, 3rd Model, 2nd Variation made in 1917 in 32 S&W as well. The condition on this one is the second I have seen. It has been fired, but as you can see in the pics it is in about 95% original nickel finish and is my first hammerless model. This one was $50 as well.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 42898View attachment 42897View attachment 42896View attachment 42895View attachment 42894View attachment 42892View attachment 42893

You certainly have shifted the focus of your collection! Is 32 S&W easier to find than 32acp? Hard to get that locally for my 7.65s.

MS

I VERY nice shape for their age. Most of these are heavily flecked.
Yes most of them are. I am really excited about the unfired American Bulldog. These were cheap pistols sold to the masses and used black powder cartridges, so most are not in any kind of good condition finish wise. I was very happy to find both of these at reasonable prices.

You certainly have shifted the focus of your collection! Is 32 S&W easier to find than 32acp? Hard to get that locally for my 7.65s.

MS

32 S&W is still in production and I can find it locally, although not cheaply. But the American Bulldog was not made to shoot smokeless powder but the hammerless, since it has the owls facing down was made to shoot the more powerful modern loadings so I will most likely shoo that one.

The odd thing about this Bulldog is that the hammer is a center fire hammer. IJ made these guns in both the 32 Long Rimfire and the 32 S&W centerfire. But when you compare the cylinders of the two guns you will notice the Bulldog is much longer. It is the same length as my Colt spur trigger in 32 Long rimfire. So, that is interesting but now sure yet what it means. Perhaps IJ made all of the 32 Bulldogs with long cylinders and then changed the hammer to match the rimfire or center fire ammo?

Last edited:
These are NEVER seen in this condition. Usually beat, with sloppy timing, if they can still be fired at all. And NEVER for $50 each, either.

I picked up the 1st model that was in the Members classifieds for $50. The timings fine, though there is some play in the cylinder, but not enough to concern me. I bought it just to have a little fun with, and maybe make some gallery loads with mag primers and buckshot. I like the two you have, and if I find any like those I'll buy them just for fun

Iver Johnson manufactured these on contract: Chaplin Patent Woodworking Plane

improved.jpg

The front knobs are wooden with Ebony-Black Laquer, and the rear totes are Black Gutta-Percha Rubber.

They are plentiful and it's easy to acquire an example for under $100

The grips on the American Bulldog are magnificent ! Nicest design I've seen yet !
I agree SalemCat. The grips are really a great design, even the bull dog ones I like as well. They are also, in aesthetic terms, a representation of their time period.

I have been sticking to mostly IJ pistols.... but now I am thinking IJ tools as well? But I think I have enough on my plate although I will be keeping my eyes out for the tools just the same. You never know. :)

I agree SalemCat. The grips are really a great design, even the bull dog ones I like as well. They are also, in aesthetic terms, a representation of their time period.

I have been sticking to mostly IJ pistols.... but now I am thinking IJ tools as well? But I think I have enough on my plate although I will be keeping my eyes out for the tools just the same. You never know. :)

Chaplin Planes are the only Tool known to be made by IJ. Even they are never marked IJ. So although acquiring every Chaplin would be indeed expensive, getting one or two is not difficult.

Condition is tough, though. It seems many people bought IJ Pistols and rarely if ever used them, whereas most Woodworking Tools are well-used.

Back
Top Bottom