1963 Combat TV Episode Trivia

K98

When I was a kid, Combat was one of my favorite TV shows to watch. I have always wondered what type of rifles were used to make that distinct sound. Here's a clip and the shooting that starts at 11:16. The gun shot audio sounds familiar in every episode, so quite possibly an audio track was edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOO4XhR60Y

Gunfire sounds very different when recorded vs actual hearing it. The sound of gunfire in a tv show could be anything,even in the 60s there were ways of manipulating sound. Case in point in the kung fu movies of the 70s.the sound of a punch was created by hitting a ping pong padel hitting a piece of leather or naugahide. Nerd alert as a,kid I could tell which studio produced a show or movie just from the sound of gunfire on the show.

Cool stuff- something to watch on a rainy weekend.

I had no clue about this show. No idea how I missed it, even though a little before I would have been old enough to watch. As a kid out west we periodically staged mock WWII battles complete with stick rifles and bunkers built from tumbleweeds. Any disputes over who shot who first were usually settled by adobe clay 'grenades' which hurt like hell but were soft enough not to break bones. In our minds the battles looked like the Combat episode. Wish I would have seen it back in the day.

There was more story in one episode of Combat! than in 3 hours of movie these days...

OK, point proven. Here is another episode starring James Caan as a german squad leader. At 43:06 there is a K98 being fired with the same audio as described earlier. Obviously studio dubbed, as in all of the episodes. This one has a lot of great action though. Boy Hollywood had some great toys back in 1963.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBzW9xY8HU4

If you ever watched the short lived series "The Gallant Men", which was on the air about the same time, I think you'll find that the M1 Garands made the same sound as the Mausers in "Combat". I seem to remember seeing a show somewhere along the line where a handgun made the same sound.

OK, point proven. Here is another episode starring James Caan as a german squad leader. At 43:06 there is a K98 being fired with the same audio as described earlier. Obviously studio dubbed, as in all of the episodes. This one has a lot of great action though. Boy Hollywood had some great toys back in 1963.

Ah yes "Anatomy of a Patrol" remember it well. As a side,of the original cast members only Doc and Kirby are still alive. Both must be close to or in their 80s.

Back
Top Bottom